Replies: 7371
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 01:25:37 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

Money Sense

Started by Anonymous, August 20, 2015, 08:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Lower oil is stimulating car purchases and road transportation, as well as reducing the cost of petroleum-based raw materials.Markham, Ontario-based Exco Technologies, which makes precision-tooled auto parts has had big gains this year. Uni-Select, based in Boucherville, Quebec had solid gains too. TransForce out of Quebec has had recorded record gains.

cc

Wow

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34033208">BBC - China share slide: Pension fund to invest in stock market

China plans to let its main state pension fund invest in the stock market for the first time, the country's official news agency, Xinhua, has reported.

Under the new rules, the fund will be allowed to invest up to 30% of its net assets in domestically-listed shares.

China's main pension fund holds 3.5tn yuan ($548bn; £349bn), Xinhua said.

The move is the latest attempt by the Chinese government to arrest the slide in the country's stock market.

The fund will be allowed to invest not just in shares but in a range of market instruments, including derivatives. By increasing demand for them, the government hopes prices will rise.

The Shanghai Composite Index closed down more than 4% on Friday after figures showed monthly factory activity contracting at its fastest pace in six years.

It capped a tough few days for Chinese investors, with the index down 12% on the week. Chinese shares are now down more than 30% since the middle of June.

Earlier this month, the Chinese central bank devalued the yuan in an attempt to boost exports.

These measures come against a backdrop of slowing economic growth in China. In the second quarter of this year, the country's economy grew by 7% - its slowest pace for six years.

Last year, the economy grew at its slowest pace since 1990.

Fears of a prolonged slowdown have also hit global stock markets, with US and leading European indexes posting heavy losses last week.

I hope everyone got out of their China stocks a ways back - That said, in today's world everything affects everything else
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

I met with our financial advisor yesterday..

I moved my mutual funds from a moderate portfolio to a balanced income growth fund..

I did the same with my RRSP's..

My TFSA lost $800 in two days.

:ohmy:

Bricktop

Why is this pinned?

And not in "Political"?

cc

Please tell me that you didn't say that . pullleeeze ^

Yes, very volatile times with potential to get a lot more volatile.

We smelled a rat / had bad feelings and essentially cashed out over the last month or so. Am meeting with a couple of advisers to get some input to weigh for next moves

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Yes, very volatile times with potential to get a lot more volatile.

We smelled a rat and cashed out a couple of  week. Am meeting with a couple of advisers to weigh next moves

If you wouldn't mind cc la femme, could you relay any advice they give back to us?

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Why is this pinned?

And not in "Political"?

Because it's not about politics.

cc

Most definitely will.

If I recall correctly seoulbro agreed bonds are safe haven. Not the greatest income in today's world, but  anything indexed is at stake right now

I'd rather just sit still and watch, than lose

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Most definitely will.

If I recall correctly seoulbro agreed bonds are safe haven. Not the greatest income in today's world, but  anything indexed is at stake right now

I'd rather just sit still and watch, than lose

That's how I'm feeling too cc la femme..

About sixty percent of my balanced income growth fund is T-bills, bonds and things like that..

I may have to change that too, we'll see.

cc

Here we goooooooo

1. CNBC http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/23/asia-braces-for-selloff-on-tanking-us-markets.html">http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/23/asia-bra ... rkets.html">http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/23/asia-braces-for-selloff-on-tanking-us-markets.html

Mainland markets in free fall

The rout in China's benchmark Shanghai Composite index gathered pace early Monday, sinking as much as 8.2 percent to a five-month low of 3,218.5 points, even as authorities allowed pension funds managed by local governments to invest in the stock market for the first time over the weekend. The move could potentially channel hundreds of billions of yuan into the country's struggling equity market.

Among China's other indexes, the benchmark CSI300 index - which consists of 300 A-share stocks listed on the Shanghai and Shenzhen stock exchanges - fell 7.9 percent, while the smaller Shenzhen Composite retreated 7.3 percent.

2. The Guardian blog front page for Monday 24 August 2015 05.12 BST

Update Edit - Guardian: 11.26 our time - opens in 30 minutes

"The Australian market has had a shocker. The ASX200 has closed down nearly 4% for its worst day for four years. It's now at a two-year low.

Traders in Europe are bracing for a heavy selloff when the stock markets open, in one hours time.

The FTSE 100 is currently expected to tumble below the 6000-point mark for the first time since the start of January 2013.

Other European markets are heading for a bath - having already tumbled on Friday.

Opening calls down for all of Europe"

Maybe just a correction for vastly overpriced markets? Maybe more than that? We shall soon see

Click to Enlarge

cc

Today

I took some time out today to compare DOW vs. TSX with regard to timing

- Monday Aug 24 2015 9.30 AM - After terrible openings, worse ever for the DOW (down early 1,089 pts), both have come back to only fractional loss for the day. Start was DOW 15,370,  TSFX 12,705

S&P 500 -3.94% for the day

- Didn't last long 11 AM - Dow -2.2%. TSX -1.3%

- Slowly getting worse since

12:00 PM: ......... DOW -3.78% .................. TSX -2.0%

12:15 PM: ......... DOW -3.65% .................. TSX -2.6%

12:25 PM: ......... DOW -4.11% .................. TSX -2.7%

12: 30 PM: .........DOW -4.25% .................. TSX -3.05%

12:45 PM: ..........DOW -2.26% .................. TSX -3.20%

01:00 PM: ..........DOW -3.56% .................. TSX -2.32%

01:10 PM: ..........DOW -3.58% .................. TSX -3.12% Trading Appears Closed

As usual, we follow the US by about 15 - 30 minutes

I'm re-checking this to verify what can be done on the TSX when one has ability to trade very fast

Where is everyone? Busy cashing out?
QuoteMaybe just a correction for vastly overpriced markets? Maybe more than that? We shall soon see

IMAGE 1 = Day Compare in %ages - TSX in green (420.93 today), DOW red (-588.40 today)

IMAGE 2 = TSX Last 5 Days in prices (Shows the dramatic start for today - Same happened for DOW)

IMAGE 3 = TSX Last 6 Months in prices

J0E

....clobbered!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/inside-the-market/market-updates/the-close/article26079760/?service=mobile">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... ice=mobile">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/inside-the-market/market-updates/the-close/article26079760/?service=mobile

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/inside-the-market/market-updates/article26070640.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/NYK505-MARKETS-STOCKS+USA.JPG?service=mobile">

cc

No shit sunshine.

Are you afraid of the "money sense" thread, or do you just like to start your own threads every time a simple and obvious-to-all thought comes into your lil mind?

or perhaps some of both?

Anonymous

I'm scared to find out how much I lost.

Romero

China was too greedy while it was too commie. Trying to push the economy too much, as if 10% growth was never enough. The bigger they are...

Too bad we've become so dependent on China while claiming we need to be "competitive". From the article:

Quote"Emotions got the best of investors," said Philip Blancato, chief executive at Ladenberg Thalmann Asset Management in New York.

"The conjecture that the Chinese economy can propel the U.S. economy into recession is ridiculous, when it's twice the size of the Chinese economy and is consumer based."