Quote from: "RW"90s stuff?

Everything from Cream to Unplugged.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I loved Unplugged.

One of my favourite albums.

Bricktop

Quote from: "RW"Yes, Clapton is more of a legend than any you listed above in his own right.

What you should be considering is Clapton's influence on music.  That's what really counts isn't it?  What music looked like before vs after an artist came into the scene.  Before Clapton, rock and roll had things like saxophones or pianos in solo breaks.  Clapton came alone with his guitar and pushed all instruments out of top rock spot.  It was Clapton that made the electric guitar THE sound of rock music.  He would get sounds from a guitar that no one had even heard before.

Chuck Berry, Bill Haley and Elvis Presley might have something to say about that.

As would George Harrison, Keith Richards and Duane Eddy (who? I hear you ask).

The Beatles played with three guitarists, none of them Eric Clapton.

Sorry. Clapton is OVERRATED.

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "RW"Yes, Clapton is more of a legend than any you listed above in his own right.

What you should be considering is Clapton's influence on music.  That's what really counts isn't it?  What music looked like before vs after an artist came into the scene.  Before Clapton, rock and roll had things like saxophones or pianos in solo breaks.  Clapton came alone with his guitar and pushed all instruments out of top rock spot.  It was Clapton that made the electric guitar THE sound of rock music.  He would get sounds from a guitar that no one had even heard before.

Chuck Berry, Bill Haley and Elvis Presley might have something to say about that.

And if it wasn't for Clapton, we'd still be listening to Rockabilly FFS.  

There was a great quote in that link I provided that you have yet to read (and should read).  It said something like "The Beatles made every boy want to own a guitar.  Clapton made every boy want to learn to play it."

I don't know why you think who the Beatles played with is some marker of excellence.  That has to be one of the more ridiculous things you've said in this thread.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Really, you sure about that?

Although he received no credit on the White Album, everyone knows that it was Clapton who played the guitar solo on "While my Guitar Gently Weeps". This has been known since the album was first released in 1968; I'm not sure why you don't.

When he was alive, George Harrison stated that fact on numerous occasions.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Hahaha

That makes sense given he and George were friends.

It's stuff like this that makes me view Clapton as someone whose accomplishments aren't well known enough causing people to not appreciate his contributions to the music world.

I still assert that playing with the Beatles isn't a marker of musical greatness.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"Hahaha

That makes sense given he and George were friends.

It's stuff like this that makes me view Clapton as someone whose accomplishments aren't well known enough causing people to not appreciate his contributions to the music world.

I still assert that playing with the Beatles isn't a marker of musical greatness.

I think you have to look at it in the context of the time. It was probably considered an honor by many who were lucky enough to be asked to play with them. But I'm pretty sure John, Paul, George and Ringo thought the opposite. They probably thought it was a privilege to play with a lot of the talented musicians that appeared on their albums.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

RW

I have no doubt it was an honour but I still don't see it as defining excellence.  I don't think records sold, hit songs recorded, weeks at number one, etc are things that necessarily define artists either.   Sure those things count but I like to look a bit deeper into their influence on music and Clapton is huge in that regard.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"I have no doubt it was an honour but I still don't see it as defining excellence.  I don't think records sold, hit songs recorded, weeks at number one, etc are things that necessarily define artists either.   Sure those things count but I like to look a bit deeper into their influence on music and Clapton is huge in that regard.

You are right, hits or record sales do not define the greatness or talent of a musician. Nothing illustrates that more than performers Iike Madonna, Britney Spears or Taylor Swift. Most of their appeal can be attributed directly to a record labels ability to market a product. There is very little musical talent in those three examples yet they've sold millions of recordings. There is no accounting for taste in the world of music.

Anyone who denies Claptons influence or talent as an artist IMHO has no idea what they are talking about. While I generally agree with your boyfriend's opinions on rock n roll, there have been a few times he has been way off and this is one of them.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Quite simply because I enjoy irritating you.

Any more questions?

When did you plan to start, Claptonizer?
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Quote from: "Renee"

Really, you sure about that?

Although he received no credit on the White Album, everyone knows that it was Clapton who played the guitar solo on "While my Guitar Gently Weeps". This has been known since the album was first released in 1968; I'm not sure why you don't.

When he was alive, George Harrison stated that fact on numerous occasions.

And Billy Preston played piano on a number of tracks.

What is your point?

Just in case you think I'm voicing a lone viewpoint;

http://www.guitarplanet.eu/the-top-5-overrated-guitarists.html">http://www.guitarplanet.eu/the-top-5-ov ... rists.html">http://www.guitarplanet.eu/the-top-5-overrated-guitarists.html

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/deflating-overrated-superstars-starting-with-eric-clapton/">http://www.cnet.com/au/news/deflating-o ... c-clapton/">http://www.cnet.com/au/news/deflating-overrated-superstars-starting-with-eric-clapton/

http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/10-of-the-most-vastly-overrated-guitarists-of-all-time/3/">http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lif ... ll-time/3/">http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/10-of-the-most-vastly-overrated-guitarists-of-all-time/3/

Interestingly, I did no research before compiling my list; it was my opinion. However, it hasn't taken me long to discover that a LOT of people agree with my point of view. Clapton was compelling in his early days, particularly with Cream, but since then has done nothing special.