Last post: Today at 04:29:37 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Thiel

A

What's it like being Asian?

Started by Anonymous, September 23, 2015, 11:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hello all.

I heard that there are at least a few Asians here. I have a general question concerning stereotypes.

Are there any obvious perks you've experienced that seemed to accompany being of Asian descent wherever you've lived/traveled? Also, are there ignorant stereotypes about Asian peoples that annoy you?

Bonus question: What are some aspects of your persona that you think are atypical of your relative culture?

This isn't a troll post. I'm just trying to learn something with myriad possible outcomes. I'll try to come back within a few days to see what posts this generates (if any).

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Hello all.

I heard that there are at least a few Asians here. I have a general question concerning stereotypes.

Are there any obvious perks you've experienced that seemed to accompany being of Asian descent wherever you've lived/traveled? Also, are there ignorant stereotypes about Asian peoples that annoy you?

Bonus question: What are some aspects of your persona that you think are atypical of your relative culture?

This isn't a troll post. I'm just trying to learn something with myriad possible outcomes. I'll try to come back within a few days to see what posts this generates (if any).

I'm not Oriental, but my wife is. I can't answer in the first person, but I hope the Asians here do.

Anonymous

Hello shin, it's nice to see you here..

I have read your posts on the other forum..

I enjoyed reading them..

ac_smile

I don't know of any obvious perks that come with being East Asian..

My family is very close and we sacrificed for each other in Taiwan and in Canada too..

That would be cultural, not a racial perk..

We lived in Kazakhstan for one year, which is multi ethnic and some locals thought I was from the Central Asian states or Siberia..

There are stereotypes of East Asians that are inaccurate..about our physical appearance, that we only conform, we are bad drivers, our men are "momma's boys", that we are shallow..

The stereotype of me that would have some truth might be that I am a doting mother and push my children to succeed..

I hope I have answered your questions shin..

Please feel free to ask more if you wish.

ac_smile

Anonymous

Please don't get me started about media stereotypes of Asian men. :oeudC:

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Please don't get me started about media stereotypes of Asian men. :oeudC:

I have read that on forums and blogs, but frankly, I don't see it. I don't see Asian men being portrayed negatively. I'm not looking for it either mind you.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "seoulbro"Please don't get me started about media stereotypes of Asian men. :oeudC:

I have read that on forums and blogs, but frankly, I don't see it. I don't see Asian men being portrayed negatively. I'm not looking for it either mind you.

When you are an Asian guy, you don't have to look for it. Stupid racial stereotypes look for you.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I enjoyed reading them..

ac_smile

My family is very close and we sacrificed for each other in Taiwan and in Canada too..

We lived in Kazakhstan for one year, which is multi ethnic and some locals thought I was from the Central Asian states or Siberia..

There are stereotypes of East Asians that are inaccurate..about our physical appearance, that we only conform, we are bad drivers, our men are "momma's boys", that we are shallow..

The stereotype of me that would have some truth might be that I am a doting mother and push my children to succeed..

ac_smile

Hey, thanks for answering, Fash.

I met a girl from Kazakhstan in college. At the time, I had no idea where it was, but she did look like she could pass for a cline of East Asian descent.

I'm glad you made the distinction between Asian and East Asian, although I've thought calling someone Asian is very non-descript with as many countries that comprise Asia. I grew up learning the term "Oriental", while it's not much better, it seems to have fallen out of favor with the U.S. labeling committee.  ac_smile

I recently met someone who was born in Taiwan who moved to California at an early age. We were talking at length about the tonal aspect of East Asian languages that seems to be lost in textual translation to English.

Sometimes I joke about stereotypes across the board because I think most of them are completely absurd. I think good humor is my predominant forum characteristic, but I also tend to discuss what I know about social sciences when applicable.

Anonymous

I watched part of a documentary on how Hollywood has continually typecasted East Asian actors and actresses over time. It was more than a few years ago, and I don't remember the name of it, unfortunately. It seems if they're not cast in a role that requires a martial artist, it's uncommon that any movie I've seen made in the U.S. has used a non-stereotypical character in a major role. Ming-Na Wen who I've been watching for years, seems to have been able to successfully break the mold.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

I think a lot of roles they typically give to East Asian men have some element of an antagonist.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

I enjoyed reading them..

ac_smile

ac_smile

Hey, thanks for answering, Fash.

I met a girl from Kazakhstan in college. At the time, I had no idea where it was, but she did look like she could pass for a cline of East Asian descent.

I'm glad you made the distinction between Asian and East Asian, although I've thought calling someone Asian is very non-descript with as many countries that comprise Asia. I grew up learning the term "Oriental", while it's not much better, it seems to have fallen out of favor with the U.S. labeling committee.  ac_smile

I recently met someone who was born in Taiwan who moved to California at an early age. We were talking at length about the tonal aspect of East Asian languages that seems to be lost in textual translation to English.

Sometimes I joke about stereotypes across the board because I think most of them are completely absurd. I think good humor is my predominant forum characteristic, but I also tend to discuss what I know about social sciences when applicable.

Chinese dialects are tonal, but Korean isn't.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Guest"

I watched part of a documentary on how Hollywood has continually typecasted East Asian actors and actresses over time. It was more than a few years ago, and I don't remember the name of it, unfortunately. It seems if they're not cast in a role that requires a martial artist, it's uncommon that any movie I've seen made in the U.S. has used a non-stereotypical character in a major role. Ming-Na Wen who I've been watching for years, seems to have been able to successfully break the mold.

It is changing slowly. Daniel Dae Kim, Will Yun Lee, and Ki Hong Lee for example are all East Asian men who have been cast in non traditional roles. Here in Canada, I see ads and commercials with East Asian men regularly.

Anonymous

I forgot to put my name on those quoted posts from a couple of days ago.

Well, I guess I should sign up at this point. Now i have to find a nifty avatar. Decisions, decisions...

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"I forgot to put my name on those quoted posts from a couple of days ago.

Well, I guess I should sign up at this point. Now i have to find a nifty avatar. Decisions, decisions...

I did the same in the post right above you. Welcome aboard shin.

Anonymous

Being East Asian means that I am better looking than white chicks. I am able to think pragmatically and rationally unlike Cas. I also have a work ethic unlike whites.

Hey shin, what's it like being white? All that guilt and all that silly ideology ahead of common sense.

shin

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "shin"I forgot to put my name on those quoted posts from a couple of days ago.

I did the same in the post right above you. Welcome aboard shin.

Thanks, seoulbro.

Quote from: "Shen Li"Being East Asian means that I am better looking than white chicks. I am able to think pragmatically and rationally unlike Cas. I also have a work ethic unlike whites.

Hey shin, what's it like being white? All that guilt and all that silly ideology ahead of common sense.

lol Looks like I found the resident diva.  Hi Shen Li! :wink:

Actually, I'm not white You could say I'm biracial, but I look black to most people. I must admit for the record that I do find most East Asian girls attractive. It's not what I would consider to be "yellow fever" though.

So I'm guessing you have some opinion on East Asian girls who only date white guys. I can't wait to hear this.  ac_biggrin

Who's Cas?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview