The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Is This Really a Surprise?

Started by Renee, November 17, 2015, 09:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Mr Crowley"
Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Why is this news?

We like people in the limelight. We elected an unqualified dunce because of his looks and style, but no substance. In the states, Trump is a frontrunner for the Republicans, Al Franken and Sonny Bono were elected to the senate, Arnold Schwarzenegger was California governor,  Jon Bon Jovi and Howard Stern have both made serious consideration for a run at governor of their states. It's about the celebrities baby.

What's the difference between the celebs you mention and the average career politician?  ac_umm

Oh, I know.....nothing.

For the most part they are all clowns.

Jesus, the stupid is thick in here.

Electing celebs because they are celebs is an American characteristic. Add Reagan to the above list. Jesse Ventura (seriously)?

If Michael Jackson were alive today, HE'D be running for President with Kanye West as his sidekick.

Another Maroon who thinks the average career politician is somehow endowed with special abilities to lead and govern. Many people from all walks of life are qualified to hold elected office. Since most political positions amount to nothing more than a warm body taking up space, there is no special abilities or even a brain involved in the equation.

I will give you a pass on this because you are still of the generation that thinks their political leaders should be cut from the days of iron men and wooden ships. But in the reality of today, nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes the stupid is thick in here and nowhere is it more so than with you.

You assume too much, and know too little. I abhor the way politicians are created and ensconced in our political system.

Nonetheless, there is a substantial difference between our Westminster system and your "system", such as it is.

In the Westminster system, we do not elect political leaders. I will be the first to admit that it is a woeful situation, as leaders are elected by their party flunkies...however, it does mean that there is an element of nurturing, development and growth that takes place before a politican reaches the apogee of the political pyramid.

In our system, Shwarzenegger, Ventura, Bono, Eastwood, Reagan et al would never have achieved high office. The fact that they are "celebrities" would have probably acted against them. Now, I take your point in that it does not mean we get better leaders. In my view, all politicians in the current political environment are scum. But, we can and do claim that our elected representatives are not appointed for the shallowest of reasons; they act (badly) in movies.

If Schwarzenegger or Ventura were an accountant and car salesman respectively, they would have never been elected...regardless of their capability.

America worships celebrities.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Why is this news?

We like people in the limelight. We elected an unqualified dunce because of his looks and style, but no substance. In the states, Trump is a frontrunner for the Republicans, Al Franken and Sonny Bono were elected to the senate, Arnold Schwarzenegger was California governor,  Jon Bon Jovi and Howard Stern have both made serious consideration for a run at governor of their states. It's about the celebrities baby.

What's the difference between the celebs you mention and the average career politician?  ac_umm

Oh, I know.....nothing.

For the most part they are all clowns.

Jesus, the stupid is thick in here.

Electing celebs because they are celebs is an American characteristic. Add Reagan to the above list. Jesse Ventura (seriously)?

If Michael Jackson were alive today, HE'D be running for President with Kanye West as his sidekick.

Another Maroon who thinks the average career politician is somehow endowed with special abilities to lead and govern. Many people from all walks of life are qualified to hold elected office. Since most political positions amount to nothing more than a warm body taking up space, there is no special abilities or even a brain involved in the equation.

I will give you a pass on this because you are still of the generation that thinks their political leaders should be cut from the days of iron men and wooden ships. But in the reality of today, nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes the stupid is thick in here and nowhere is it more so than with you.

You assume too much, and know too little. I abhor the way politicians are created and ensconced in our political system.

Nonetheless, there is a substantial difference between our Westminster system and your "system", such as it is.

In the Westminster system, we do not elect political leaders. I will be the first to admit that it is a woeful situation, as leaders are elected by their party flunkies...however, it does mean that there is an element of nurturing, development and growth that takes place before a politican reaches the apogee of the political pyramid.

In our system, Shwarzenegger, Ventura, Bono, Eastwood, Reagan et al would never have achieved high office. The fact that they are "celebrities" would have probably acted against them. Now, I take your point in that it does not mean we get better leaders. In my view, all politicians in the current political environment are scum. But, we can and do claim that our elected representatives are not appointed for the shallowest of reasons; they act (badly) in movies.

If Schwarzenegger or Ventura were an accountant and car salesman respectively, they would have never been elected...regardless of their capability.

America worships celebrities.

What about Peter Garret of Midnight Oil? He was a cabinet minister in a former Labor government.

Bricktop

Abhorrent. I did say that our system was far from flawless.

Worse, Garret was parachuted into a safe labour seat to get him into Parliament (at least he was a far lefty in a far lefty electorate and any idiot nominated by the Labour Party would have walked it in).

He actually became a Minister when the left gained power...and surprise, surprise, was regarded by all and sundry as an inept, incompetent and befuddled rock singer way out of his depth as a manager, leader, achiever and nation builder.

He typifies what is wrong with OUR system.

@realAzhyaAryola

Hahahahaha! Renee, that was funny, Maroon.  ac_toofunny
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

kiebers

http://i.imgur.com/AAUND4f.jpg?1">
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

RW

Quote from: "kiebers"http://i.imgur.com/AAUND4f.jpg?1">

I'd become American just to vote for more cowbell!

Love it!
Beware of Gaslighters!