The best topic

Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Is Lust a Sin?

Started by J0E, January 01, 2016, 09:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

When I was 15, I didn't think lust was wrong.  I thought being sexually repressed so hard was wrong.  I wasn't slutting it up by any means, but I couldn't wait to have sexual experiences and I wanted more than anything for those experiences to not be tainted by the religious BULLSHIT swimming around in my head.

See Dove, I don't have to look back on my life through Bible goggles to determine what was right or wrong.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Yes I'm aware of the Bible's take on human nature.  It pretty much says it's all wrong and applies rules against it.

It provides freedom from it. Not rules against it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Yet it denies we should feel all the sexual things that gets us to marriage.

Maybe humans aren't even cut out to be married hence the infidelity and broken homes.

Yes, I know secular marriage often leads to infidelity and broken homes.

RW

Quote from: "Dove"Sexual things shouldn't ever be a motivating factor in marriage, and this is probably why people feel entitled to cheat and why so many marriages fail. Again, if it's just some physical act, why base marriage on it?

Because women especially are told that sex doesn't matter in a relationship and shit like religion pushes this bullshit that there are things more important and it's bullshit.  Physical attraction and compatibility are IMPORTANT and no amount of Jesus juice will change than biological fact.  This is what I keep telling you.  Religion, through control and manipulation, tries to deny us our human nature.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "RW"Yet it denies we should feel all the sexual things that gets us to marriage.

Maybe humans aren't even cut out to be married hence the infidelity and broken homes.

Oh yeah Fash, it's limited to secular marriages only.

:001_rolleyes:
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Dove"
Quote from: "RW"Yes I'm aware of the Bible's take on human nature.  It pretty much says it's all wrong and applies rules against it.

That's a big ole pile of BULLSHIT right there.

Hahaha
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

Oh yeah Fash, it's limited to secular marriages only.

:001_rolleyes:

I didn't mean it was limited to secular marriage..

We have divorced people in our church..

Now, I can't say if that occurred before they became Christians or not.

ac_dunno

Anonymous

It's really frustrating to be attempting to shed light on the biblical world view and how it applies to what we see happening, when you continually make it about your personal issues. Not everyone who grew up in a religious home was sexually repressed.  And yeah, it's not about rules actually....we have already discussed this. I told what the Bible says. I'm not telling you to agree with it.  I'm also not getting all flipped out about it. The reality is, casual sex is more linked to low self esteem, depression, all kinds of issues than it is with health. You don't need to read the bible to get that info. Most credible psych studies have shown it. But please, let's talk about how you were abused with biblical cherry picking again. By all means. *eyeroll*   Then when I point out again, how that was wrong and actually not a reflection of what scripture teaches, you can defend the religious system that repressed you...again. no thanks.  I made my point anyway.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"
Quote from: "Dove"The NT....wasn't written in English. Are you asking for a long winded class on greek and hermenuetics, or do you want to just take our word for it?  People laugh at Christians because they are ignorant of why we believe what we believe and make assumptions. Arrogantly. Like you just did. I could in depth on this if you'd like. You'll be subjected to several scriptures though.

What was it written in?

How, then, did it become English?
 Greek. It was translated from greek, with the exception of a few translated from greek to Latin to English, like kjv 1611, I believe.  It's a whole, interesting and time consuming endeavor to study on.

So how did it come to be written in Greek?
Because Paul wrote it in greek, to greek churches such as the one in Rome (romans) the one in Corith (corinthians) et.  During acts, pentecost,  the apostles were given the ability to speak in tongues they didn't know in order to preach gospel to gentiles. Also, Luke wasn't jewish. Hebrew/greek are the languages of the original texts.

Was Paul a Greek?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"The NT....wasn't written in English. Are you asking for a long winded class on greek and hermenuetics, or do you want to just take our word for it?  People laugh at Christians because they are ignorant of why we believe what we believe and make assumptions. Arrogantly. Like you just did. I could in depth on this if you'd like. You'll be subjected to several scriptures though.

What was it written in?

How, then, did it become English?
 Greek. It was translated from greek, with the exception of a few translated from greek to Latin to English, like kjv 1611, I believe.  It's a whole, interesting and time consuming endeavor to study on.

So how did it come to be written in Greek?
Because Paul wrote it in greek, to greek churches such as the one in Rome (romans) the one in Corith (corinthians) et.  During acts, pentecost,  the apostles were given the ability to speak in tongues they didn't know in order to preach gospel to gentiles. Also, Luke wasn't jewish. Hebrew/greek are the languages of the original texts.

Was Paul a Greek?
 Saul of Tarsus?  Take a guess. ;)

Anonymous

Hahaha
 I'm a reformed, 5 point Calvinist. I'm not catholic. I strongly disagree with catholics. In fact, I view them as pagan heretics who butcher scripture.  So....if you please stop trying to argue against that nonsense with me as if I take the Catholic stance, that'd be great.

Anonymous

Hahaha
 I'm a reformed, 5 point Calvinist. I'm not catholic. I strongly disagree with catholics. In fact, I view them as pagan heretics who butcher scripture.  So....if you please stop trying to argue against that nonsense with me as if I take the Catholic stance, that'd be great.

I'm a five point Calvinist as well Dove..

I was raised in a fellowship Baptist dispensationalist tradition, but the Lord lead me towards Calvinism at a college and careers group outside of my church..

I agree with you about catholicism, it's not Christian at all.

Anonymous

I was a Calvinist, before I really knew it was Calvinist. Lol.  The five points are right there plain as day in the bible.  I was raised in a pentecostal climate during the Copeland era, so, I didn't have a great opinion on the church for a long time.  I don't understand why people continually thrust the Catholic stance on Christians like this. It's like having strawmans fired at you like machine gun rounds.  You tell them over and over catholic isn't Christian and how, but they still go off as if catholic beliefs still apply somehow. RW isn't the only one I've seem do this. It just confirms my stance on the rc. It is not of God.

RW

Quote from: "Dove"It's really frustrating to be attempting to shed light on the biblical world view and how it applies to what we see happening, when you continually make it about your personal issues. Not everyone who grew up in a religious home was sexually repressed.  And yeah, it's not about rules actually....we have already discussed this. I told what the Bible says. I'm not telling you to agree with it.  I'm also not getting all flipped out about it. The reality is, casual sex is more linked to low self esteem, depression, all kinds of issues than it is with health. You don't need to read the bible to get that info. Most credible psych studies have shown it. But please, let's talk about how you were abused with biblical cherry picking again. By all means. *eyeroll*   Then when I point out again, how that was wrong and actually not a reflection of what scripture teaches, you can defend the religious system that repressed you...again. no thanks.  I made my point anyway.

Oh cut the shit.  I spent a lot of time jumping around religions as a young person.  Every single last one of them has a component of sexual repression and shame, especially in coming-of-age years.

I'm not talking about "casual sex" either.  I'm talking about human nature, something scripture likes to repress and control.

Defend that.

:crazy:
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Dove"I was a Calvinist, before I really knew it was Calvinist. Lol.  The five points are right there plain as day in the bible.  I was raised in a pentecostal climate during the Copeland era, so, I didn't have a great opinion on the church for a long time.  I don't understand why people continually thrust the Catholic stance on Christians like this. It's like having strawmans fired at you like machine gun rounds.  You tell them over and over catholic isn't Christian and how, but they still go off as if catholic beliefs still apply somehow. RW isn't the only one I've seem do this. It just confirms my stance on the rc. It is not of God.

In highschool, I attended a CHRISTIAN church as a part of a CHRISTIAN youth group.  I experienced some of the creepiest religious shit I have seen to date.  I'd take Catholicism over that shit any day.

I also spent time in the Apostolic, JW, and LDS churches.  I spent time in the Ba'hai as well as Jewish faiths.  FYI.

ALL of them have a sexual repression component with the LDS church probably topping that list.  The things they make young people tell their bishops is heinous IMHO and once again, goes against human nature.
Beware of Gaslighters!