Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Homelessness? Breach of the Charter?

Started by RW, January 07, 2016, 03:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "J0E"
Quote from: "Fashionista"It sounds to me JOE, you are talking about building communal type housing along the lines of a work camp?

You don't like individual dwellings like apartments as a homelessness solution?

Well Fashionista, I spoke with a homeless guy and he told me that housing shouldn't be given to them free. That they should have to work for it. And that's a homeless guy. He also said if it's all given away like candy, the homeless people will take it for granted and it will fall apart because there'll be no incentive to take care of it. So it's not really my idea, it was some homeless guy I spoke with whom I sometimes bump into and give $1 or $2 to outside the local convenience store.

Also, the newer social housing developments in Vancouver seem to all have round the clock security guards. They keep intruders out off the streeets, but they also watch their tenants and make sure they behave. One of the problems with places like Vancouver Downtown Eastside, is that many of these hotels along Hastings Street don't have any security guards, and all kinds of shit goes on inside them, like drug abuse, people pushing drugs, prostitution, and an assortment of other crimes. And that's where many of the problems in the city are coming from - this small stretch of 6 blocks of the city. If they could close the hotels down and relocate the people to new secure housing complex, that would greatly clean up the area and even revive it. Make it great again. That skid row area used to be decent. The make it that way again.

Anyways, I gotta friend who lives in that Olympic Village which was used to house athletes during the 2010 Winter Olympics. He managed to get a space there. However, the people running that place really watch the social housing inhabitants like a hawk. They can't misbehave, do drugs, have rowdy parties, be shit disturbers. Otherwise, they'll lose their place in this very privileged housing development. BTW, the paid housing units there go for upwards of a million dollars a piece. so in a way, it's not 'free'. They have to earn their keep to hang on to their right to live there. I thought the same approach could be used to help solve the homeless problem in Vancouver.

Oh I see, self-contained communal living, thank you.

Anonymous

It does damage to people when they don't work for anything. They lose their sense of self worth. This is why I'm not a fan of welfare handouts. I believe people on aid should have to work a required amount of hours or be in a work readiness program, and should be provided with those resources. There is so much more we could be doing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"It does damage to people when they don't work for anything. They lose their sense of self worth. This is why I'm not a fan of welfare handouts. I believe people on aid should have to work a required amount of hours or be in a work readiness program, and should be provided with those resources. There is so much more we could be doing.

I'm not either, but I'm even less of a fan of Joe's stories about people he's talked to. :negative:

cc

Quote from: "Tabloid Joey making up another whopper "I spoke with a homeless guy and he told me that ....

:laugh: :roll:  :roll:
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

J0E

Quote from: "cc la femme"
Quote from: "Tabloid Joey making up another whopper "I spoke with a homeless guy and he told me that ....

:laugh: :roll:  :roll:

Anyways, unlike the hard-hearted posters completely lacking in compassion for others like our cc la femme, I feel sorry for the people who live on the streets. Unlike cc, I don't laugh at them.

It must be a tough life.

Here's a tune about those less fortunate which makes up for the deficit of human compassion that some show on this forum such as cc:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLG7iqbTqlk

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I tend to scroll past Joe's stories.

I am not that crazy about his petty shots at Renee and ceec either.