Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Welcome Peaches

Started by RW, March 28, 2016, 01:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Shen Li"I have seen boards in the past that revealed PI with a mod's assistance.

Good luck getting anyone to post if they do that.

Herman, someone here posted a real first and last name of a poster from another forum..

It was edited almost immediately after it was posted..

We take everyone's privacy seriously.

Anonymous

Glad you joined us Peaches.

Anonymous

Thanks everybody!   ac_hithere

I didn't mean to raise an actual issue about doxxing.  But yes, I've seen varying levels of it "here and there," and varying levels of mod and admin collusion in it as well as clandestine support for PI mining.  Such a climate tends to self-select its own sleazy member base, of course.  

Heck, I remember a couple of years ago when one notorious malefactor showed up at one of my regular forums running a hidden script in his siggy that would email your IP address back to his cave whenever you opened the page it was on.  It took an hour or more for the tech admin to figure out that everyone was being hacked.  But as a practical matter, often such exploits and hacks are mostly just for the power trip they offer, and nothing comes of it anyway.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"Thanks everybody!   ac_hithere

I didn't mean to raise an actual issue about doxxing.  But yes, I've seen varying levels of it "here and there," and varying levels of mod and admin collusion in it as well as clandestine support for PI mining.  Such a climate tends to self-select its own sleazy member base, of course.  

Heck, I remember a couple of years ago when one notorious malefactor showed up at one of my regular forums running a hidden script in his siggy that would email your IP address back to his cave whenever you opened the page it was on.  It took an hour or more for the tech admin to figure out that everyone was being hacked.  But as a practical matter, often such exploits and hacks are mostly just for the power trip they offer, and nothing comes of it anyway.

Oh my goodness Peaches.

:ohmy:

RW

We're definitely not that kind of place. :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

They registered with a new handle and then put in the signature?

Anonymous

Stuff like that is not uncommon.

Bricktop

Quote from: "RW"

We're definitely not that kind of place. :)

Yet... :evilthoughts2:

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Anonymous

Right.  I think this is why some forums don't permit siggys until a certain trust level is reached with new posters.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"

Right.  I think this is why some forums don't permit siggys until a certain trust level is reached with new posters.

I know of a couple of forums that do that.

The Donald

Quote from: "Peaches"Thanks for the welcome, y'all.  

Tell us a bit about yourself.

My meme is kind of androgynous, but at different times and places it's been more male or more female.  I myself, the poster behind the keybard, am a semi-literate redneck dude from somewhere near the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers in the US.  I come from the Yahoo boards originally, and floated into the "cindy" family of post-yahoo forums.  I still troll a bit, but not on nice forums like this one.  I do have a feminine side, if you consider a persnickety spinster librarian to be feminine.

I've been self-employed in various businesses most of my adult life, so there is no point in doxxing me and writing to my boss.  There isn't anyone in my town who gives the slightest shit how I spend my online time, for that matter, including my old lady who used to do forums but has retired into online gaming these days (and maybe trolling the occasional perfume forum.)

I hope I can count on your support this November. Together we can make America great again.
Make America Great Again

Anonymous

Quote from: "The Donald"
Quote from: "Peaches"Thanks for the welcome, y'all.  

Tell us a bit about yourself.

My meme is kind of androgynous, but at different times and places it's been more male or more female.  I myself, the poster behind the keybard, am a semi-literate redneck dude from somewhere near the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers in the US.  I come from the Yahoo boards originally, and floated into the "cindy" family of post-yahoo forums.  I still troll a bit, but not on nice forums like this one.  I do have a feminine side, if you consider a persnickety spinster librarian to be feminine.

I've been self-employed in various businesses most of my adult life, so there is no point in doxxing me and writing to my boss.  There isn't anyone in my town who gives the slightest shit how I spend my online time, for that matter, including my old lady who used to do forums but has retired into online gaming these days (and maybe trolling the occasional perfume forum.)

I hope I can count on your support this November. Together we can make America great again.

ac_lmfao

keeper