Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Where is the Colored Guy?

Started by Anonymous, March 29, 2016, 02:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I don't see it as big deal. You adjust until the words that we are supposed to use are second nature.

RW

Yeah but then they change and what was second nature becomes taboo.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Yeah but then they change and what was second nature becomes taboo.

That's a good point, It's getting harder to adapt as I get older, but I will try to give the company what they expect. In 8 years I will be pensioned off. I hope the language will not change too much between now and then.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"If someone called a fellow employee "coloured" at CP they would face immediate discipline up to termination.

I just don't get it.  You can't say "coloured" but you can call people black, white, brown, etc.  That makes no sense.

That and "colored" was one of the few DIGNIFIED titles blacks had back in the day.

What you have at any company including my own is a few people dictating what is and isn't appropriate terms. I realize you've been out of the workforce a little while. Ask around though, especially people at large companies including the snivel service. They'll confirm this is reality now.

I know the corporate drill.  I used to work in an HR department and attend employee induction sessions.

I just don't understand what is offensive about some of these words.  It shocks me how idiotic PCism is.

It is what it is. Government has has dictated how we will talk at work

RW

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "RW"Yeah but then they change and what was second nature becomes taboo.

That's a good point, It's getting harder to adapt as I get older, but I will try to give the company what they expect. In 8 years I will be pensioned off. I hope the language will not change too much between now and then.

You never know...
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

When it changes workers will change too..

It's not a big deal RW.

Anonymous

You never know...

Stay tuned. :laugh:

Anonymous

You got that right. Even the word retard is offensive now.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

It"s a slur for people with a disability.

Anonymous

It's a slur for people with a disability.

I have worked with some people that act retarded, but I do not think any of them actually were.

RW

If you use it to describe someone with a disability.  I don't understand the problem if you don't use it to describe someone without a disability.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

If you use it to describe someone with a disability.  I don't understand the problem if you don't use it to describe someone without a disability.

The way I always used it growing up would be considered inappropriate today. The word we used for people with that disability was retard.

Lance Leftardashian

In a civilised country all people are created equal and we  mustn't generalise.
I care, you pay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"In a civilised country all people are created equal and we  mustn't generalise.

I want to punch your head in.

Renee

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"If someone called a fellow employee "coloured" at CP they would face immediate discipline up to termination.

I just don't get it.  You can't say "coloured" but you can call people black, white, brown, etc.  That makes no sense.

That and "colored" was one of the few DIGNIFIED titles blacks had back in the day.

But you can refer to them as "people of color" and that is acceptable.

Which reminds me of a biology test that I failed in my sophomore year of HS......

One of the questions was......What do you commonly find in cells? ac_umm

Apparently "black people"......was not an acceptable answer.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.