Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Where is the Colored Guy?

Started by Anonymous, March 29, 2016, 02:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I'm not offended by being referred to as "oriental."

Would you prefer South East Asian Azhya?

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "RW"Why aren't you just a Canadian?  If "oriental" is a no no because it segregates you, how is using the word "Asian" any different?

I don't mind you calling me a Canadian RW..

ac_smile

If I am to be described I would prefer it not to be Oriental though.

That's a word that was before my time anyway.  Honestly, I think of you as an Albertan.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "RW"Why aren't you just a Canadian?  If "oriental" is a no no because it segregates you, how is using the word "Asian" any different?

I don't mind you calling me a Canadian RW..

ac_smile

If I am to be described I would prefer it not to be Oriental though.

That's a word that was before my time anyway.  Honestly, I think of you as an Albertan.

Lol, I like that the best.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Flippos!!!

Hippos!  :laugh3:

Zippos!!!!

ac_lmfao

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"
Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Flippos!!!

Hippos!  :laugh3:

Zippos!!!!

ac_lmfao

The lighters?

Anonymous

@realAzhyaAryola

I have no preference, Fash. Anyone can call me anything even Zippos because it won't matter anyway.  :roll:
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

I have no preference, Fash. Anyone can call me anything even Zippos because it won't matter anyway.  :roll:

Lol, that's funny Azhya.

:laugh:

Anonymous

There is zero tolerance in the Alberta public service for anything that is considered an ethnic slur..

I don't know if c@!@ured would meet that definition though.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"There is zero tolerance in the Alberta public service for anything that is considered an ethnic slur..

I don't know if c@!@ured would meet that definition though.

They have employees walking on egg shells and fearing they may have a slip of the tongue. It's not much different at my company.

RW

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"If someone called a fellow employee "coloured" at CP they would face immediate discipline up to termination.

I just don't get it.  You can't say "coloured" but you can call people black, white, brown, etc.  That makes no sense.

That and "colored" was one of the few DIGNIFIED titles blacks had back in the day.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"If someone called a fellow employee "coloured" at CP they would face immediate discipline up to termination.

I just don't get it.  You can't say "coloured" but you can call people black, white, brown, etc.  That makes no sense.

That and "colored" was one of the few DIGNIFIED titles blacks had back in the day.

What you have at any company including my own is a few people dictating what is and isn't appropriate terms. I realize you've been out of the workforce a little while. Ask around though, especially people at large companies including the snivel service. They'll confirm this is reality now.

Anonymous

That is true Shen Li..

New employees are given training on this..

I believe it falls under the category of harassment free workplace, but I can't remember.

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"

What you have at any company including my own is a few people dictating what is and isn't appropriate terms. I realize you've been out of the workforce a little while. Ask around though, especially people at large companies including the snivel service. They'll confirm this is reality now.

I know the corporate drill.  I used to work in an HR department and attend employee induction sessions.

I just don't understand what is offensive about some of these words.  It shocks me how idiotic PCism is.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

I know the corporate drill.  I used to work in an HR department and attended employee induction sessions.

I just don't understand what is offensive about some of these words.  It shocks me how idiotic PCism is.

I don't like it either, but I have to go with it.