Replies: 8532
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 03:33:05 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Garraty_47

Went to a Ukranian deli today

Started by JOE, July 07, 2016, 09:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

....it was very good, decent price. $7.00 for lunch.

Down in New Westminster, BC.

Was walking by when I thought I'd give it a whirl.

A small place called 'solodko' (solodko.ca)

I was greeted by a very pretty young Ukranian woman.

I gathered she was in her mid twenties.

Blond hair, blue eyes - the kind that Mel would like.

So I ordered their borscht or as they call it, 'borsch'.

It came with homemade rye.

http://ukrainianguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/Ukrainian%20borscht.jpg">

Very delicious. Think I'll go back again when I visit 'The Royal City'

...sometimes ya find gems where and when you least expect them.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"....it was very good, decent price. $7.00 for lunch.

Down in New Westminster, BC.

Was walking by when I thought I'd give it a whirl.

A small place called 'solodko' (solodko.ca)

So I ordered their borscht or as they call it, 'borsch'.

Very delicious. Think I'll go back again when I visit 'The Royal City'

...sometimes ya find gems where and when you least expect them.

Maybe Herman can find the food he's used to when he is in New Westminister, BC.

ac_smile

Anonymous

I've had borscht before. I can't say I was a fan.

JOE

Quote from: "Fashionista"Maybe Herman can find the food he's used to when he is in New Westminister, BC.

ac_smile

New Westminster is a suprisingly pleasant little town accessible by subway from Vancouver. If you come to the West Coast you might check it out.

It has many of the 19th century buildings which unlike Vancouver, never burned down during its early years.

Its poor, working class, but the restaurants are much cheaper than Vancouver. If I get run out of the city by the spiralling rents I might move there. Right now the rent for 1 br in Vancouver in $1600. I think in New West maybe as low as half.

Anyways, there's another nice gem up the street called the Waffle House which makes the best waffles I've ever tasted.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dDoIiwe26Yk/Vl-IdQSbkuI/AAAAAAAByp4/DXLrAypJT8M/s1600/DSC09923.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Maybe Herman can find the food he's used to when he is in New Westminister, BC.

ac_smile

New Westminster is a suprisingly pleasant little town accessible by subway from Vancouver. If you come to the West Coast you might check it out.

It has many of the 19th century buildings which unlike Vancouver, never burned down during its early years. Its poor, working class, but the restaurants are much cheaper than Vancouver. If I get run out of the city by the spiralling rents I might move there. Right now the rent for 1 br in Vancouver in $1600. I think in New West maybe as low as half.

Anyways, there's another nice gem up the street called the Waffle House which makes the best waffles I've ever tasted.

Waffles are another thing I am not crazy about.

JOE

Dim sum then?

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "JOE"

ac_smile

It has many of the 19th century buildings which unlike Vancouver, never burned down during its early years. Its poor, working class, but the restaurants are much cheaper than Vancouver. If I get run out of the city by the spiralling rents I might move there. Right now the rent for 1 br in Vancouver in $1600. I think in New West maybe as low as half.

Waffles are another thing I am not crazy about.

Anonymous

My mom makes the best borsch. She always makes it when I visit. :thumbup:

JOE

There's a good wonton place in downtown Vancouver called Hon's for those who's palate is averse to Western Foods. Piles of tables, large bowls of wonton that go for $6 to $8. I think they have dim sum. I go there occasionaly. The wonton soup is real good.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"There's a good wonton place in downtown Vancouver called Hon's for those who's palate is averse to Western Foods. Piles of tables, large bowls of wonton that go for $6 to $8. I think they have dim sum. I go there occasionaly. The wonton soup is real good.

I like hot and sour soup, but I never get it from a Chinese buffet.

JOE

And next to that is a somewhat obscure, but outstanding Japanese restaurant called Miko Sushi. All the hockey players, football stars, movie stars and celebrities seem to there and the prices aren't bad. Really first rate for the price. Very ordinary looking decor/interior but the food is great and the sushi is outstanding.

JOE

Quote from: "Herman"My mom makes the best borsch. She always makes it when I visit. :thumbup:

Well that one I had a few hours ago was oustanding, very delicious.

I can still taste it and the sour cream in my mouth.

God that was so good, and unknown.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"Dim sum then?

Once in a while.

Big Stud

Quote from: "JOE"A small place called 'solodko' (solodko.ca)

I shall check it out the next time I'm in that area!

That's exactly the kind of woman I need (not like the ones around this forum)...

JOE

Quote from: "Big Stud"

That's exactly the kind of woman I need (not like the ones around this forum)...

Well I never implied that she was available.

Still she was a pleasant individual who enhanced its authenticity.

But the food was very good, but above all, legitimate.

Its hard to find good food direct from the old country just like it was made back home, unbastardized a la fast food style.

These homestyle ethnic food places are the best.

Better yet if they're cheap reasonably priced.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Big Stud"

Go in there and start whining while you are shitfaced. She'll call the cops on you.