News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 8104
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:32:16 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Bob Dylan has been awared a Nobel prize.

Started by Bricktop, October 13, 2016, 07:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

Quote from: "Oberon"What tore the heart out of the established musical scene was guitars as the primary instrument. Guitars could be played loud and were limited only by the power of the amplifiers. Neither of these items were new. But guitar players developed louder and wilder techniques. Brass and strings were largely abandoned, especially for live events, and volume was the new god.

I thought this guy was the precursor to the above you've mentioned.

...dick dale almost used his guitar like a weapon to hack through his audiences. If you grow his hair out, give him a funkier costume, add more blues notes, you have acid rock. He may be considered a major influence. He was really quite ahead of his time because he didn't just use it as background instrumental, but as the primary instrument. I think the future rock stars borrowed from him, took his idea and refined it for the purposes further.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oberon"True enough...but the popularity of the music was very much focussed on working class people.

It was anti-cultural, in the sense that it overturned the conventions of the previous generations; opera, classic, middle of the road crooners. Pop music was a working class phenomenon in its early days, despite some of its purveyors being "posh" as you have stated. Jagger may have come from a upper class background, but the Stones were regarded as unrefined, scruffy and repulsive to that class.

Playing live was not reliant on technology. Musicians have been doing live gigs for thousands of years. Amplified music was not an innovation of the 60's. Vocalists had been using microphones and PA systems for decades.

What tore the heart out of the established musical scene was guitars as the primary instrument. Guitars could be played loud and were limited only by the power of the amplifiers. Neither of these items were new. But guitar players developed louder and wilder techniques. Brass and strings were largely abandoned, especially for live events, and volume was the new god.

That was the biggest change.

Twenty Dollars

He sparked change. Like the change or not? I'm glad he won the award.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"He sparked change. Like the change or not? I'm glad he won the award.

I think there are more deserving people than Bob Dylan, but I don't care either who receives Nobel awards.

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"He sparked change. Like the change or not? I'm glad he won the award.

I think there are more deserving people than Bob Dylan, but I don't care either who receives Nobel awards.

Maybe there were. Regarding Bob Dylan. In the late 50s and into the 70s the US was a fairly racist country. Blacks, Latinos, Asians, anyone different was looked down upon. It's true. Bob Dylan called attention, along with many other ills  in his songs, poetry, etc. I believe this changed a lot for the good in Merica.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"Much more so than Obama.

What a fucking joke that was. I wonder how long it will be before True Dope wins one of these cereal box prizes.

the shark hunter

... BOB DYLAN shouldn't win this award.  he isn't a literary figure.  he's a musician, not an author ...
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

Anonymous

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... BOB DYLAN shouldn't win this award.  he isn't a literary figure.  he's a musician, not an author ...

He's not even a good fucking musician.

Bricktop

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... BOB DYLAN shouldn't win this award.  he isn't a literary figure.  he's a musician, not an author ...

But isn't music literature you listen to?

the shark hunter

... didn't OBAMA get awarded the nobel PEACE prize?  the guy who uses drones to assassinate people in foreign countries and bombs hospitals?  if that doesn't destroy the credibility of the award nothing will ...

Anonymous

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... didn't OBAMA get awarded the nobel PEACE prize?  the guy who uses drones to assassinate people in foreign countries and bombs hospitals?  if that doesn't destroy the credibility of the award nothing will ...

Hello the shark hunter, it's so nice to see you here again.

ac_hithere

the shark hunter

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "the shark hunter"... didn't OBAMA get awarded the nobel PEACE prize?  the guy who uses drones to assassinate people in foreign countries and bombs hospitals?  if that doesn't destroy the credibility of the award nothing will ...

Hello the shark hunter, it's so nice to see you here again.

ac_hithere

... thank you beautiful lady of Alberta!  ac_smile

Thiel

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... didn't OBAMA get awarded the nobel PEACE prize?

Yes, he did. What a joke.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Nobel awards no longer have the prestige they once did. Obama winning the peace prize was a joke.

Thiel

Bob Dylan himself was likely more surprised than anyone by this announcement.
gay, conservative and proud