The best topic

Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

The media and it's infulence over stereotypes

Started by shin, December 02, 2016, 09:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

@realAzhyaAryola

My father was a member of the media but he only wanted to report the truth and not embellish it nor conceal any parts of it.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"My father was a member of the media but he only wanted to report the truth and not embellish it nor conceal any parts of it.

That is rare today.

Yeah Right

Yes, it is at least in the US most mainstream media people are just paid propagandists for the democrat party.

And its not just the news media

Apparently ESPN the American sports newtwork has lost a lot of viewers because it has admittedly gone left wing

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/clay-waters/2016/11/17/espns-public-editor-agrees-viewers-network-has-moved-leftward">http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/cla ... d-leftward">http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/clay-waters/2016/11/17/espns-public-editor-agrees-viewers-network-has-moved-leftward

Why would someone want to put politics in sports anyway?

Bricktop

Yeah Right

Quote from: "Fashionista"
That is certainly part of it Yeah Right..

East Asians, both male and especially female have high rates of ir in the USA..

Another reason of course is that most East Asians South of the border live in predominantly Caucasian areas.

Fash, I looked all over but I can't figure out what IR is, I just got Interest Rates and Injured Reserve :confused1: .  I doubt you meant either one :laugh:

Bricktop

Yeah Right

Quote from: "Oberon"Indian Regret.
 :laugh:

Quote from: "Oberon"One word.

$$$$$$.

Yeah, but ESPN is losing viewers in droves because of it, hence less money.  Just as the NFL lost a lot of viewers when Colin Kaepernick started his whole black lives matter protesting on the field (and a poll confirmed it).

I think the NFL and ESPN would rather promote their political beliefs than have the money.  Seriously.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Yeah Right"
That is certainly part of it Yeah Right..

East Asians, both male and especially female have high rates of ir in the USA..

Another reason of course is that most East Asians South of the border live in predominantly Caucasian areas.

Fash, I looked all over but I can't figure out what IR is, I just got Interest Rates and Injured Reserve :confused1: .  I doubt you meant either one :laugh:

She means interracial relationships. She is married to a white man and her kids are biracial.

Yeah Right

Thanks Herms.  Got it.  Sorry for being slow on the uptake.

Fash, what was your opinion on the guys at the forum?  Did you think they were right or wrong or somewhere in between.  I never saw your take.

I've been trying to scroll through my brain to remember all the asians I have seen in the media.  Not much in the way of news stories unless its something to do with China, Japan, Korea etc.

I guess then there's movies and TV.  I don't remember that much.  And what I do remember I don't think it showed Asian guys as sexually undesirable.  Although I could be wrong.  

Generally the stereotype by word of mouth is that Asians are usually nice and good at school.  One of my best friends in high school was a japanese American, he fit that to a tee.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Yeah Right"Thanks Herms.  Got it.  Sorry for being slow on the uptake.

Fash, what was your opinion on the guys at the forum?  Did you think they were right or wrong or somewhere in between.  I never saw your take.

I've been trying to scroll through my brain to remember all the asians I have seen in the media.  Not much in the way of news stories unless its something to do with China, Japan, Korea etc.

I guess then there's movies and TV.  I don't remember that much.  And what I do remember I don't think it showed Asian guys as sexually undesirable.  Although I could be wrong.  

Generally the stereotype by word of mouth is that Asians are usually nice and good at school.  One of my best friends in high school was a japanese American, he fit that to a tee.

I posted on the same Asian American forums as Fash. My guess is that she is a lot closer to my opinion that the biggest blame Hollywood because I can't get laid crybabies were social misfits. However, she is far less likely than I am to say that even if she agrees with me.

Yeah Right

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Yeah Right"Thanks Herms.  Got it.  Sorry for being slow on the uptake.

I posted on the same Asian American forums as Fash. My guess is that she is a lot closer to my opinion that the biggest blame Hollywood because I can't get laid crybabies were social misfits. However, she is far less likely than I am to say that even if she agrees with me.

She is less blunt.  But I like both your styles.

As to the forums, its usually much easier to blame some outside force (the media) than to face an unpleasant truth.

I am sure there are some white guy misfits out there trying to find some scapegoat they can blame for their lack of success with women as well.

Anonymous

QuoteAs to the forums, its usually much easier to blame some outside force (the media) than to face an unpleasant truth.

That's exactly it. However, I don't want to give anyone the impression that all East Asian guys are like that. Not even fucking close. It's just that dateless dorks found a soapbox to blame everyone for being involuntarily single, but their own lack of game selves.

QuoteI am sure there are some white guy misfits out there trying to find some scapegoat they can blame for their lack of success with women as well.

Yes, and their names are Mel Gibson and Odinson.

Anonymous

It's complicated Yeah Right..

There are definitely stereotypes of East Asian males in the USA and being popular with women is usually not one of them..

American media does little to change that stereotype either..

That being said, there are lots of young East Asian males who have girlfriends who are East Asian, Caucasian, Latin American and so on..

The young men on the old Asian American forums that scapegoated women like me for selling out in almost all cases do not have girlfriends and they are bitter about it..

I know it's not unique to our community, but blaming the media brings a different angle to it..

I should add, that I am friends with one of those young men that used to call me whitewashed and a sell out wh**e of the white man..

He has a white girlfriend now....the irony.

Thiel

It's complicated Yeah Right..

There are definitely stereotypes of East Asian males in the USA and being popular with women is usually not one of them..

American media does little to change that stereotype either..

That being said, there are lots of young East Asian males who have girlfriends who are East Asian, Caucasian, Latin American and so on..

The young men on the old Asian American forums that scapegoated women like me for selling out in almost all cases do not have girlfriends and they are bitter about it..

I know it's not unique to our community, but blaming the media brings a different angle to it..

I should add, that I am friends with one of those young men that used to call me whitewashed and a sell out wh**e of the white man..

He has a white girlfriend now....the irony.

Ah, the angst of young men.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"How much has the media shaped the way you feel about different ethnic groups?

There has been some success with shows like Hawaii Five 0, but there is still the image of Asians as outsiders and not really Americans with shows like Fresh Off The Boat.