The best topic

Replies: 8392
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:21:37 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

Blazor

Started by Anonymous, March 16, 2017, 10:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Blazor

Quote from: Shen Li on July 26, 2023, 12:53:25 AM
It's a different job. You have to expect different drawbacks.

Oh but of course! Jus wasnt expected to work like a mule! lol
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Frood

Quote from: Blazor on July 26, 2023, 01:53:58 AM

That's how it generally works.

10 years ago I got laid off... virtually everybody in my company and other companies did (in the industry) at the time.

Tried and tried but the market was then saturated with people in the same boat, so I took the best paying job I could find and sweated tonnes each 6-11 hour shift... we were legally obligated to stay there for at least 10 hours on short notice or minutes before we were meant to leave.

So I got a name for myself because I did the assigned jobs better than nearly anyone else... and then they started promoting young non white females with no experience or qualifications and I carefully queried why.

They gave me a bs answer and that's when I hit them with the bombshell.

Yet they wouldn't give me the jobs over the young know nothing's... instead they gave me 25-32 hours a week working in their cashy penalty wage system. Choice hours, easy jobs, show up part time and get paid like you've done 55-60 hours per week.

It was the right decision in the moment. My wife worked there on the floor and we got some slack when it came to raising our toddler and then young child (ie one of us has to be home at any one point, despite them not giving a toss about others in the same situation)... but I still regret not suing those motherfuckers.

For promoting lazy unqualified females with darker hues after a short window where they didn't perform in an exemplary nature.

I thank the gods I've arrived in a different situation these days.

Boss is like "I'll show you how to drive this bit of kit quickly"... it's generally him getting in and trying to remember how to drive it, then show me right after... either he's content within a minute or two on me, or he leaves an hour later because my technique needs help.

Guess what I'm sayin' is every job, no matter what it is, does in fact produce stress to the uninitiated.

But that's the spice of life, dude.

Happy that you've career hopped. It gets easier with time.  :)

Blahhhhhh...

DKG

Without asking what it is you do, what is the hardest part of your new job?

Herman

Quote from: RAVEN on July 26, 2023, 10:42:04 AM
hahaha... OH SHIT!!!!!!!  Is it that bad?  I guess when you're used to a "cushy" job like graphic design and being your own boss, to breaking a sweat and having a bossman crackin that whip it would suck big time LOL.

Hang in there, though.. You're new and will move up the chain where it will get easier!! Newbies always start out at the bottom with the hard stuff.  Think of it as a test so they can see what you're made of.  I have no doubt with your hard work ethic, you'll be singing a different tune in years to come.
Old Blazor aint used to doing a little physical labor.

mel

Unfortunately this is what things have become.  Gone are the days of well paying, unionized production jobs that treat the employee well with good benefits.

I found this out right when I left high school.  I quickly realized that unless I had some elite skill like becoming a brain surgeon, I was going to be used and abused by employers.  Gone are the days when the boomer generation could find decent work without four+ years of university.  Gone are the days when government jobs were offered to straight White men.

Knowing this is what my country had now turned into, I quickly realized that I was going to be abused in pretty much any field that would hire me, so I had to think about ways to minimize the abuse.  So I became truck driver.  Yes, it can be a shitty job depending on what segment of the industry you'll work in, but the abuse is minimized simply by the nature of the job.  You're left alone, for the most part, to do one job.  And if you don't mind driving, which I don't, they'll pay you a few pennies to haul a load of dragon dildo's from point A to point B.  And you'll meet all kinds of interesting people along the way too.

Herman

Quote from: mel on July 26, 2023, 05:18:59 PM
Unfortunately this is what things have become.  Gone are the days of well paying, unionized production jobs that treat the employee well with good benefits.

I found this out right when I left high school.  I quickly realized that unless I had some elite skill like becoming a brain surgeon, I was going to be used and abused by employers.  Gone are the days when the boomer generation could find decent work without four+ years of university.  Gone are the days when government jobs were offered to straight White men.

Knowing this is what my country had now turned into, I quickly realized that I was going to be abused in pretty much any field that would hire me, so I had to think about ways to minimize the abuse.  So I became truck driver.  Yes, it can be a shitty job depending on what segment of the industry you'll work in, but the abuse is minimized simply by the nature of the job.  You're left alone, for the most part, to do one job.  And if you don't mind driving, which I don't, they'll pay you a few pennies to haul a load of dragon dildo's from point A to point B.  And you'll meet all kinds of interesting people along the way too.
It sounds like old Blazor has one of those blue collar jobs that you can pay the bills with. It is hard work of course, but I started out as a leasehand and floorhand on service and drilling rigs. The problem he  is that he is in his late forties doing hard physcial work for the first time in a long time. I was a driller by the time I was twenty two. Most of the back breaking is done by the time you get in the dog house.

mel

Quote from: Herman on July 26, 2023, 05:46:51 PM
It sounds like old Blazor has one of those blue collar jobs that you can pay the bills with. It is hard work of course, but I started out as a leasehand and floorhand on service and drilling rigs. The problem he  is that he is in his late forties doing hard physcial work for the first time in a long time. I was a driller by the time I was twenty two. Most of the back breaking is done by the time you get in the dog house.
Ya, I'm not sure what exactly he does there, or if there's much upwards mobility (often these days there isn't).

But a man must always view his surroundings, and find the lesser of evils...  Become a lumberjack?  No, I will prefer to drive the logging truck or operate equipment instead.

There is very limited opportunity of reasonable jobs for people like Blazor and I, so we have to view the world in a realistic fashion, in what we'll be able to do as we get even older.  I figure operating or driving something is our only realistic option without four+ years of schooling.

Being straight White males, we're basically blacklisted out of any decent government job, as I have experienced that first hand.  So we must plan ahead accordingly.

Shen Li

Quote from: mel on July 26, 2023, 06:26:13 PM
Ya, I'm not sure what exactly he does there, or if there's much upwards mobility (often these days there isn't).

But a man must always view his surroundings, and find the lesser of evils...  Become a lumberjack?  No, I will prefer to drive the logging truck or operate equipment instead.

There is very limited opportunity of reasonable jobs for people like Blazor and I, so we have to view the world in a realistic fashion, in what we'll be able to do as we get even older.  I figure operating or driving something is our only realistic option without four+ years of schooling.

Being straight White males, we're basically blacklisted out of any decent government job, as I have experienced that first hand.  So we must plan ahead accordingly.
If Blaze was younger, I'd suggest a red seal trade. However, no employer will apprentice a middle aged person.

mel

Quote from: Shen Li on July 26, 2023, 09:41:37 PM
If Blaze was younger, I'd suggest a red seal trade. However, no employer will apprentice a middle aged person.
One option is to get good at things.  My step Uncle moved to the States years ago (married an American), and he runs a one man home reno business.  He's not ticketed in anything that I'm aware of, but if you can do good work the business will come, as he's keeping busy doing that.

But, that can be physical work also, doing shit like building decks and whatever else he does there.

Blazor

Quote from: Frood on July 26, 2023, 02:41:00 AM
That's how it generally works.

10 years ago I got laid off... virtually everybody in my company and other companies did (in the industry) at the time.

Tried and tried but the market was then saturated with people in the same boat, so I took the best paying job I could find and sweated tonnes each 6-11 hour shift... we were legally obligated to stay there for at least 10 hours on short notice or minutes before we were meant to leave.

So I got a name for myself because I did the assigned jobs better than nearly anyone else... and then they started promoting young non white females with no experience or qualifications and I carefully queried why.

They gave me a bs answer and that's when I hit them with the bombshell.

Yet they wouldn't give me the jobs over the young know nothing's... instead they gave me 25-32 hours a week working in their cashy penalty wage system. Choice hours, easy jobs, show up part time and get paid like you've done 55-60 hours per week.

It was the right decision in the moment. My wife worked there on the floor and we got some slack when it came to raising our toddler and then young child (ie one of us has to be home at any one point, despite them not giving a toss about others in the same situation)... but I still regret not suing those motherfuckers.

For promoting lazy unqualified females with darker hues after a short window where they didn't perform in an exemplary nature.

I thank the gods I've arrived in a different situation these days.

Boss is like "I'll show you how to drive this bit of kit quickly"... it's generally him getting in and trying to remember how to drive it, then show me right after... either he's content within a minute or two on me, or he leaves an hour later because my technique needs help.

Guess what I'm sayin' is every job, no matter what it is, does in fact produce stress to the uninitiated.

But that's the spice of life, dude.

Happy that you've career hopped. It gets easier with time.  :)

Right on man lol.

Thanks! Everyone seems to keep saying it gets easier, and I think I kinda broke through today. At least today wasnt so bad lol.

Blazor

Quote from: DKG on July 26, 2023, 06:17:48 AM
Without asking what it is you do, what is the hardest part of your new job?

I've almost got the learning curve down. The hardest part for me, is how chaotic it can get, and the pace. Im on one of the hardest lines. And some times I dont have a partner, and its only my 2nd week of work (not including training week, which wasnt much lol). I need at least one other person, to keep up. There is way too much required of one person to keep up at the pace they want, aint happening. I've even had random other workers talk to me about it, like how I need help. Several folks impressed, I tell ya lol. Some was even more surprised when I said how old I was, and they was thinking I was no more than 30 hahahaha. They all see Im busting my ass.

Blazor

Quote from: RAVEN on July 26, 2023, 10:42:04 AM
hahaha... OH SHIT!!!!!!!  Is it that bad?  I guess when you're used to a "cushy" job like graphic design and being your own boss, to breaking a sweat and having a bossman crackin that whip it would suck big time LOL.

Hang in there, though.. You're new and will move up the chain where it will get easier!! Newbies always start out at the bottom with the hard stuff.  Think of it as a test so they can see what you're made of.  I have no doubt with your hard work ethic, you'll be singing a different tune in years to come.

Girl, they is crackin' that whip on my cracka' ass!!! Im a minority there I think lulz.

Well, my previous job wasnt super cushy, cause it was fast paced graphic design on the fly stuff, but not only that, I had to operate a press too, loading paper and stuff. Not only that, fix it when it went off or broke lol. Thats THREE peoples jobs!!!! A Graphic Designer, a Press Operator, and a Service Technician.

Im hanging girl! Like a spider monkey!!!! lulz

Oh I know how places do. I just hope they see. And there is opportunity here, so hopefully something good will come in the future.

Good thing, my nephew works with me! And I've made some friends already, and they got my back, and I got theirs. These Black kids think Im some different kind of breed or some shit hahaha. But they know my nephew, and they know he cool too lol.

Shen Li

Quote from: Blazor on July 27, 2023, 12:19:36 AM
Right on man lol.

Thanks! Everyone seems to keep saying it gets easier, and I think I kinda broke through today. At least today wasnt so bad lol.
You'll be happy when you get ur first paycheque.

Blazor

Quote from: Herman on July 26, 2023, 04:34:20 PM
Old Blazor aint used to doing a little physical labor.

Now hold up lol, I am too!!!! lol

This shit cray, hopefully you've read my other recent posts that came before this one lol.

But I've done other physical jobs in the past. The past 14 years has been a mix, a lil on the puter (which is mentally draining), and a lil loading paper and printing and such.

Shen Li

Quote from: Blazor on July 27, 2023, 12:31:15 AM
Girl, they is crackin' that whip on my cracka' ass!!! Im a minority there I think lulz.

Well, my previous job wasnt super cushy, cause it was fast paced graphic design on the fly stuff, but not only that, I had to operate a press too, loading paper and stuff. Not only that, fix it when it went off or broke lol. Thats THREE peoples jobs!!!! A Graphic Designer, a Press Operator, and a Service Technician.

Im hanging girl! Like a spider monkey!!!! lulz

Oh I know how places do. I just hope they see. And there is opportunity here, so hopefully something good will come in the future.

Good thing, my nephew works with me! And I've made some friends already, and they got my back, and I got theirs. These Black kids think Im some different kind of breed or some shit hahaha. But they know my nephew, and they know he cool too lol.
They think UR a white monkey. ;)