The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Teenagers - The Truth?

Started by RW, May 16, 2017, 02:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

weebles

One thing I wish I did looking back was  wish I had signed up or paticapated in   after school offred programs like  Music (learn a instrument) and Sports (Football/Rugby/wreslting) that is my one regret.

Sikh Sidhu

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Hello Sikh Sidhu.

ac_hithere

Hello.  Thanks for having me!  My name is Gurminder Singh Sidhu, but you can call me Sikh Sidhu!

I bring love and peace, and the teachings of the Guru!  The Guru Nanak!  If you have any questions about the Sikh faith, culture, or people, you can ask me, Sikh Sudhu!
Wake up and smell the curry!

shin

Since it was mentioned in part by Mel, how do you parents feel about encouraging teenagers to live independently when they have finished high school?

I think most of us remember wanting to live on our own as young adults, and once we did move out we discovered how different life can be when you have to pay bills, do our own chores, and financially support our lifestyles.

I don't have any children, but I feel like kids are growing to be more open minded than I was at that age. I'd recommend establishing a rapport with your kids so they trust you and you in turn can learn to trust them. This would of course involve instilling the idea that they can speak frankly with you about anything at all with a level of unconditional support and honest feedback.

If I had that with my parents, I think I would have gone further in my endeavors.

RW

Quote from: "shin"Since it was mentioned in part by Mel, how do you parents feel about encouraging teenagers to live independently when they have finished high school?

I think most of us remember wanting to live on our own as young adults, and once we did move out we discovered how different life can be when you have to pay bills, do our own chores, and financially support our lifestyles.

I don't have any children, but I feel like kids are growing to be more open minded than I was at that age. I'd recommend establishing a rapport with your kids so they trust you and you in turn can learn to trust them. This would of course involve instilling the idea that they can speak frankly with you about anything at all with a level of unconditional support and honest feedback.

If I had that with my parents, I think I would have gone further in my endeavors.

We have set it up so our kids can tell us anything and everything and they do tell us a lot.

We are hoping to have our kids live on campus while going to school.  I think they will have a better experience and have the independence they crave without too much of the worry.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "shin"Since it was mentioned in part by Mel, how do you parents feel about encouraging teenagers to live independently when they have finished high school?

We have set it up so our kids can tell us anything and everything and they do tell us a lot.

We are hoping to have our kids live on campus while going to school.  I think they will have a better experience and have the independence they crave without too much of the worry.

We want our daughter living at home and going to university in Calgary..

Living away from home at such a young age, I'd die from worry.

Blazor

Quote from: "RW"Come on, seriously now.  I need some advice on parenting teens!

Good luck with that lol.

This is when they "think" they know everything, and can do what they want. Dont let them run over you, raise your voice and get mad if you have to. Cause if they think they can get away with something they will. Not saying yell at them all the time, but sometimes they need a reality check/wake up call.

When his mom died I cut him slack, wish I never had to a degree. Now hes 18, graduates tonight, and is a lazy turd when it comes to around the house. I came home from vacation and blew up on him for how the house was. I foresee lots of rule changes coming, cause he aint gonna not do anything and think he can just come and go as he pleases without any responsibility.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"My daughter will be sixteen this year..

She doesn't enjoy spending time with her family..

She'd rather be with friends..

Hopefully this phase won't last too long.

This is what happened with my son. Think it passes in their 20's some time. At lease thats when I started coming around again, cause I remember that stage too lol.

You dont look like you have a 16 year old lol.

Blazor

Quote from: "Renee"
My oldest is finishing her second year at Washington State Univ...she just found out that she got accepted to their pre-vet program a year earlier than she expected.

I saw Washington State university while in Seattle! Passed it anyway lol.

Blazor

My third has another year to go in HS but she wants to go to school for drama...her first choice is probably going to be NYU or Pace Univ.

I was encouraged to take drama, wish I had. Teacher thought I was good at. Would've been a door to a better career that I like Im sure.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
My oldest is finishing her second year at Washington State Univ...she just found out that she got accepted to their pre-vet program a year earlier than she expected.

How was your trip Blazor?

Blazor

So awesome! Cant wait to share some pics and stuff  ac_smile

Catch up day on a Monday here at work  :yuk:

Anonymous

It's Victoria Day here.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

It's Victoria Day here.

Unofficial kick off of summer.

Anonymous

Quote from: "weebles"One thing I wish I did looking back was  wish I had signed up or paticapated in   after school offred programs like  Music (learn a instrument) and Sports (Football/Rugby/wreslting) that is my one regret.

Way back when I was in high school, all the instruments were wind instruments except for drums. I didn't want to learn how to play clarinet or trombone.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "weebles"One thing I wish I did looking back was  wish I had signed up or paticapated in   after school offred programs like  Music (learn a instrument) and Sports (Football/Rugby/wreslting) that is my one regret.

Way back when I was in high school, all the instruments were wind instruments except for drums. I didn't want to learn how to play clarinet or trombone.

We didn't have music or sports at my high school..

It wasn't even a real school at the time.