News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

The madness goes on...give teachers guns.

Started by Bricktop, February 21, 2018, 07:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Wazzzup"
https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/sorry-despite-gun-control-advocates-claims-u-s-isnt-the-worst-country-for-mass-shootings/">https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... shootings/">https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/sorry-despite-gun-control-advocates-claims-u-s-isnt-the-worst-country-for-mass-shootings/
QuoteA study of global mass-shooting incidents from 2009 to 2015 by the Crime Prevention Research Center, headed by economist John Lott, shows the U.S. doesn't lead the world in mass shootings. In fact, it doesn't even make the top 10, when measured by death rate per million population from mass public shootings.

So who's tops? Surprisingly, Norway is, with an outlier mass shooting death rate of 1.888 per million (high no doubt because of the rifle assault by political extremist Anders Brevik that claimed 77 lives in 2011). No. 2 is Serbia, at just 0.381, followed by France at 0.347, Macedonia at 0.337, and Albania at 0.206. Slovakia, Finland, Belgium, and Czech Republic all follow. Then comes the U.S., at No. 11, with a death rate of 0.089.

That's not all. There were also 27% more casualties from 2009 to 2015 per mass shooting incident in the European Union than in the U.S.

"There were 16 cases where at least 15 people were killed," the study said. "Out of those cases, four were in the United States, two in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom."

"But the U.S. has a population four times greater than Germany's and five times the U.K.'s, so on a per-capita basis the U.S. ranks low in comparison — actually, those two countries would have had a frequency of attacks 1.96 (Germany) and 2.46 (UK) times higher."

Please...this data is so distorted as to be risible.

One minute you use the number of deaths, then revert to the number of incidents.

By its OWN data, America has far more mass (>4 casualties) shootings that any other comparable nation.

You flip between measuring number of deaths, then to number of incidents.

Make up your mind.

Both are valid ways of looking at the problem.  Just like yards passing and yards on the ground in a football game (sorry I don't know Australians sports enough to give you examples you can relate to better)

These are the facts--

France has a higher death rate per million than the US in Mass shootings even though they have the same kinds of strict gun laws Australia has.  (along with 9 other European nations)

Germany and the UK have a higher per capita incidence of mass shootings than the US,  Even though their gun laws are like Australias.

So the following statement is not correct

QuoteAmerica has far more mass shootings that any other comparable nation.

So the questions are

1) why is it two nations with strict gun laws (Germany and the UK) have more mass shootings per capita than a nation with more lenient gun laws (the US)?

2) And why is it ten European nations, (some with stricter gun laws like France) have a higher number of people killed in gun mass murders than the US?

Because its clear in those instances gun availabilty is not the prblem.

Anonymous

QuoteAnd why is it ten European nations, (some with stricter gun laws like France) have a higher number of people killed in gun mass murders than the US?

Maybe firearms are crossing porous borders from countries like the Czech Republic or Switzerland which have gun ownership laws more liberal than the US. I don't know, I am just thinking out loud.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Bricktop"
https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/sorry-despite-gun-control-advocates-claims-u-s-isnt-the-worst-country-for-mass-shootings/">https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... shootings/">https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/sorry-despite-gun-control-advocates-claims-u-s-isnt-the-worst-country-for-mass-shootings/
QuoteA study of global mass-shooting incidents from 2009 to 2015 by the Crime Prevention Research Center, headed by economist John Lott, shows the U.S. doesn't lead the world in mass shootings. In fact, it doesn't even make the top 10, when measured by death rate per million population from mass public shootings.

So who's tops? Surprisingly, Norway is, with an outlier mass shooting death rate of 1.888 per million (high no doubt because of the rifle assault by political extremist Anders Brevik that claimed 77 lives in 2011). No. 2 is Serbia, at just 0.381, followed by France at 0.347, Macedonia at 0.337, and Albania at 0.206. Slovakia, Finland, Belgium, and Czech Republic all follow. Then comes the U.S., at No. 11, with a death rate of 0.089.

That's not all. There were also 27% more casualties from 2009 to 2015 per mass shooting incident in the European Union than in the U.S.

"There were 16 cases where at least 15 people were killed," the study said. "Out of those cases, four were in the United States, two in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom."

"But the U.S. has a population four times greater than Germany's and five times the U.K.'s, so on a per-capita basis the U.S. ranks low in comparison — actually, those two countries would have had a frequency of attacks 1.96 (Germany) and 2.46 (UK) times higher."

Please...this data is so distorted as to be risible.

One minute you use the number of deaths, then revert to the number of incidents.

By its OWN data, America has far more mass (>4 casualties) shootings that any other comparable nation.

You flip between measuring number of deaths, then to number of incidents.

Make up your mind.

Both are valid ways of looking at the problem.  Just like yards passing and yards on the ground in a football game (sorry I don't know Australians sports enough to give you examples you can relate to better)

These are the facts--

France has a higher death rate per million than the US in Mass shootings even though they have the same kinds of strict gun laws Australia has.  (along with 9 other European nations)

Germany and the UK have a higher per capita incidence of mass shootings than the US,  Even though their gun laws are like Australias.

So the following statement is not correct

QuoteAmerica has far more mass shootings that any other comparable nation.

So the questions are

1) why is it two nations with strict gun laws (Germany and the UK) have more mass shootings per capita than a nation with more lenient gun laws (the US)?

2) And why is it ten European nations, (some with stricter gun laws like France) have a higher number of people killed in gun mass murders than the US?

Because its clear in those instances gun availabilty is not the prblem.

Did you even BOTHER to read this???

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/27/heal">https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/27/heal ... index.html

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"
I'm not really surprised those with money would use the death of kids to further their own agenda..

I remember the hurricanes in Texas were called karma by environmental extremists because Texas produces oil and gas.

:crazy:

They sure do. "Never let a disaster go to waste" is a famous quote They use.

I remember that!
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
I'm not really surprised those with money would use the death of kids to further their own agenda..

I remember the hurricanes in Texas were called karma by environmental extremists because Texas produces oil and gas.

:crazy:

They sure do. "Never let a disaster go to waste" is a famous quote They use.

I remember that!

I've noticed that.

realgrimm

QuoteThe documentary makes a compelling case for the right to bear arms when twenty thousand Christian defenders made of peasants, women, young men and even the elderly, defying the tyranny of the Mexican narco-state decided to fight back. These are the "Autodefensas" (self-defenders). They get scant media coverage from the government controlled Mexican media while the liberal media abroad completely ignores their plight since it involves the right of a people to bear arms. The 'defenders' rejecting Mexico's ban on the right to bear arms is something Americans can appreciate. It responds to liberal politicians and the media's undermining the second amendment by blaming guns instead of villains.

">http://cdn.shoebattube.com/files/videos/2016/05/11/14630085808d635-sd.mp4

alternate youtube link

">

Wazzzup

So apparently not only were there several warning this cruz guy was mentally ill, constantly in trouble, and going to shoot up a school, incuding a video of him saying he wanted to shoot up a school, now we find out there was an armed deputy who, while the shooting on was going on, knew about it and did nothing to try and stop it

A Florida sheriff's officer who did "nothing" during the Parkland school shooting last week has resigned in disgrace, officials said Thursday.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School resource officer Scot Peterson was armed, in uniform and "clearly" knew there was an active shooter but did "nothing" to intervene, according to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.[/quote]

This shooting was extremely preventable.  law enforcment failed every single step of the way.  It never should have happened.

cc

Quote law enforcment failed every single step of the way.

The opportunities were endless in this case. If ONE agency had come through it could have been prevented. But ALL agencies were ineffective  

Quote It never should have happened.

But it will.

Even if politicians take all the right steps with genuine enthusiasm (unlikely) it will take a long time to get ALL agencies (from top to bottom) to become effective.

At top levels, the O plants must be flushed down the toilet before there is even a chance FBI etc. will actually do their mandated job.

Knowing how govt works (or rather doesn't work) I have little faith

They can at least prevent some if they actually try
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

kiebers

Quote from: "Wazzzup"So apparently not only were there several warning this cruz guy was mentally ill, constantly in trouble, and going to shoot up a school, incuding a video of him saying he wanted to shoot up a school, now we find out there was an armed deputy who, while the shooting on was going on, knew about it and did nothing to try and stop it

A Florida sheriff's officer who did "nothing" during the Parkland school shooting last week has resigned in disgrace, officials said Thursday.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School resource officer Scot Peterson was armed, in uniform and "clearly" knew there was an active shooter but did "nothing" to intervene, according to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

This shooting was extremely preventable.  law enforcment failed every single step of the way.  It never should have happened.[/quote]
I imagine he is not long for this world. By his own hand or a parent. No excuse for what he did. He was in position and froze. Law enforcement as a whole failed in a terrible way.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Blazor

Quote from: "Wazzzup"So apparently not only were there several warning this cruz guy was mentally ill, constantly in trouble, and going to shoot up a school, incuding a video of him saying he wanted to shoot up a school, now we find out there was an armed deputy who, while the shooting on was going on, knew about it and did nothing to try and stop it

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School resource officer Scot Peterson was armed, in uniform and "clearly" knew there was an active shooter but did "nothing" to intervene, according to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

This shooting was extremely preventable.  law enforcment failed every single step of the way.  It never should have happened.[/quote]

Thats messed up. He was the school resource officer. Not doing anything is pretty cowardice.

Also, the security cameras were on an hour time delay. The police department was watching, but did not know it was on delay til too late.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-response-20180221-story.html">http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html">http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-response-20180221-story.html

And found this in the comment section...

I am a retired Broward County educator and moved here from Illinois in 1998. When I accepted a position at a middle school, there were two security people on staff, securIt's cameras that were monitored throughout the day, and a school resource officer. We knew who our students were because they had picture ID's that they were required to wear. Over the years, we were cut to one security person, no one to monitor the security cameras, no more picture ID's for students, and a shared school resource officer. I was a guidance counselor who had to take on more student supervision responsibilities. Over the course of a week, the time I spent eyeballing kids added up to a full work day. Why the changes? Money.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

cc

That delay, some say 10 minutes, but any delay is fatal .... and stupid .. and defines "incompetence"

Knowing where shooter is is vital to stopping him
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Students should be demanding law enforcement do it's job.

realgrimm

https://78.media.tumblr.com/5b876bd17060d3373e78c36aa24e8913/tumblr_p4mfvzwqga1ris16so1_500.jpg">

Anonymous

https://scontent.fyxd2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28166595_152748755408003_1183180576186511384_n.png?oh=a4871ada54f6a8ece272b5e24d9b4164&oe=5B133A4C">

Anonymous

https://scontent.fyxd2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28166732_10211492743610618_2926254643606051749_n.jpg?oh=37beb0b559097238b9df37dd5a85ca84&oe=5B1E6C6C">