News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

The madness goes on...give teachers guns.

Started by Bricktop, February 21, 2018, 07:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Wazzzup"So apparently not only were there several warning this cruz guy was mentally ill, constantly in trouble, and going to shoot up a school, incuding a video of him saying he wanted to shoot up a school, now we find out there was an armed deputy who, while the shooting on was going on, knew about it and did nothing to try and stop it

A Florida sheriff's officer who did "nothing" during the Parkland school shooting last week has resigned in disgrace, officials said Thursday.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School resource officer Scot Peterson was armed, in uniform and "clearly" knew there was an active shooter but did "nothing" to intervene, according to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

This shooting was extremely preventable.  law enforcment failed every single step of the way.  It never should have happened.[/quote]

I repeat what I said elsewhere;

If YOU were a badged up public relations operative with a gun, and YOU were in a position that required YOU to go up against an AR15, vastly outgunned at every level, what would YOU do.

The guy was not a professional police officer. He possessed a PISTOL, but the government allows the other guy to possess an assault rifle derivative.

I challenge any of YOU to go up against such odds in a large and complex school building.

This smacks of a government saying "lets get a few citizens to dress up, give them a day on the range and a badge, and tell them to keep their school safe." Meanwhile an 18 year old nut case can walk into a gun shop and buy an assault rifle.

Don't blame the player...blame the game.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Bricktop"
I repeat what I said elsewhere;

If YOU were a badged up public relations operative with a gun, and YOU were in a position that required YOU to go up against an AR15, vastly outgunned at every level, what would YOU do.

The guy was not a professional police officer. He possessed a PISTOL, but the government allows the other guy to possess an assault rifle derivative.

I challenge any of YOU to go up against such odds in a large and complex school building.

This smacks of a government saying "lets get a few citizens to dress up, give them a day on the range and a badge, and tell them to keep their school safe." Meanwhile an 18 year old nut case can walk into a gun shop and buy an assault rifle.

Don't blame the player...blame the game.

I cannot speak for the states, but 'school liaison' officers here are either RCMP officers, or a Municipal Unit with the same training, essentially.  They are 'full-fledged' Cops, and they are usually also trained on, and carry, 12 Gauge Shot Guns and AR-Type carbines in their vehicles.  They are also trained how to use these weapons effectively.

Policy may vary, but I do know that after Columbine, policy had generally changed (regarding school shooters), to kill the shooter dead as quick as possible.  The old policy of waiting for backup, SWAT, etc., was meant more for bank stick-ups, hostage situations, etc.  The NEW policy is to just go in, and shoot to kill.  That's because school shootings, and other types of random public shootings are a different beast than a bank hold-up or a hostage situation.  You have NO TIME to wait in a school shooting scenario.

THAT was his duty.  THAT was what he was trained to do, and most likely had the firearms in his trunk to engage the shooter.  The clear policy now in a school shooting scenario is to go in and stop the threat immediately.

However, I can't completely fault the officer either, for this one reason:  More than likely most Cops that are well suited for school liaison work, are probably not the best officers to handle a crisis situation like this.  It may be like expecting Mr. Rogers to excel as a SWAT Team member...  Just cannot have the best of both worlds.

Either way, the officer will most likely never work in law enforcement again, and will have to live the rest of his life known as a coward.  THAT in itself is enough punishment for him, IMHO...

Bricktop

You are in no position to criticise, let alone accuse the man of cowardice.

I'm in no doubt that if you were confronted with the same circumstance, you would shit yourself in the knowledge that you are either going to be accused of cowardice by morons, or be killed by a lunatic.

Reports are that he was carrying only a pistol. Would YOU go up against an AR15 with only a pistol that will probably be good for around 20 metres, and afterwards its more luck than expertise. He could empty a 20 or 30 round magazine in around 10 seconds, with reasonable accuracy to around 50 metres in a firefight. You miss, you die.

Talk is cheap, chuck...but open your mouth AFTER you've had to put YOUR life on the line for other people.

His government is the culprit here, bozo. By failing to act when they had all the information needed to take that asswipes gun from him. They did nothing.

Who is the real coward here.

Angry White Male

Read my post again, and then edit yours to form a proper reply...

Bricktop

I'll listen to your perspective when you ask me for advice on how to drive a heavy vehicle.

Angry White Male

My parents weren't afraid to draw their guns on another cop, thus changing the historical legal framework in Canada for RCMP members ever since...

I'm sure they would've engaged the shooter also, if they had the balls to engage another Cop.

So YES!  Some people are more willing to do what needs to be done.

Bricktop

And whilst your parents served, perhaps with distinction, you didn't. Thus I have no inclination to engage with someone who knows nothing about the matter.

Bricktop

Finally, true Americans are making a stand.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43173753">www.bbc.com/news/business-43173753

Getting rid of the NRA is a good first step.

Angry White Male

We can all sit here, and pretend to know what we would do in that situation...  We do not.  Some bust in there and save the day, while others do not, regardless of training.

That said, a Police Officer is expected to assume at least some form of risk, as his duty is to protect people, especially children.

Again, there is no doubt that most school liaison officers aren't the 'action' type, and instead chosen for their ability to interact nicely with the children.

Berry Sweet

I thought I saw an article somewhere that there we actually 4 officers at the scene of the shooting but they didn't do anything and just hid?  Anyone else hear about that?

Berry Sweet

Why not just arm everyone in America and watch them all kill each other...

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Why not just arm everyone in America and watch them all kill each other...

Watch out...  With statements like this, Old Man Bricktop may just start to like you.

Berry Sweet

Cocktop loves me.  I'm just getting sick n tired of America and their problems.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Cocktop loves me.  I'm just getting sick n tired of America and their problems.

We don't live there, so why would their problems bother you?

Same as Canadians going on about Trump.  I have my opinions, but he is not the leader of this Nation.

If anything, people here should be whining about Trudeau.

Nonetheless, it is the human nature.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Cocktop loves me.  I'm just getting sick n tired of America and their problems.

We don't live there, so why would their problems bother you?

Same as Canadians going on about Trump.  I have my opinions, but he is not the leader of this Nation.

If anything, people here should be whining about Trudeau.

Nonetheless, it is the human nature.

It's on the news all the time..cant exactly ignore it...a shooting, someone got killed...blah blah....build a wall around America and let them finish each other off.  Such a disgrace of a country...so much homelessness, lack of caring in general.  

I'm tired of JT too...I hope he gets stuck in India in his ridiculous attire.