The best topic

Replies: 10388
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:30:51 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

What do you think of this.....?????

Started by Obvious Li, July 07, 2013, 08:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Obvious Li

I was listening to the Roy Green show whilst driving home today from another town and they were discussing the topic of cursive writing and the fact that very few schools teach it at all any more (Calgary) and some teach it briefly in grades three or four.....the topic came to light when a parent was helping his 14 year old son fill out his passport application which  the kid was required to sign.......as it happens he could not sign his own name...nor could he read the words that his parents filled in on the application....his parents were stunned to find out that most of today``s children can no longer read or write they english language if it is cursively written out....they are only taught to print or too read individual printed words...i was in disbelief that this topic was real.....but it went on for an hour and many many teachers, other parents, teachers assistants etc. all phoned in confirming this new ``progressive`` bent in our educational system......it seems that school boards have determined that todays students do all their assignments on a computer and talk back and forth by message so there is no need to teach or learn how to read a cursively written sentence or word.....one nursing instructor phoned in and said she failed her whole class as they could not read or write a written sentence and were unable to perform even the most rudimentary tasks if there were no computer device available for them to print on.....she was flabbergasted...as am i........can the system be this bad ÉÉÉÉÉÉ......how can anyone read historical documents or journals if they are not taught to read and write cursive words at an early age..................a lot of the parents that called in stated they had put their kids in private school where cursive was taught or taught it to them at home......

Obvious Li

i will add that, i know people say todays kids are just as smart etc. as past generations...i dispute that claim outright and entirely...in my experience and my opinion todays generation will be the first generation in history. stupider, more ignorant, poorer and less healthy than the one before it.....i cannot think of another time in history when each successive generation did not improve in those categories on the one before it.............this one is measurably dumber

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"I was listening to the Roy Green show whilst driving home today from another town and they were discussing the topic of cursive writing and the fact that very few schools teach it at all any more (Calgary) and some teach it briefly in grades three or four.....the topic came to light when a parent was helping his 14 year old son fill out his passport application which  the kid was required to sign.......as it happens he could not sign his own name...nor could he read the words that his parents filled in on the application....his parents were stunned to find out that most of today``s children can no longer read or write they english language if it is cursively written out....they are only taught to print or too read individual printed words...i was in disbelief that this topic was real.....but it went on for an hour and many many teachers, other parents, teachers assistants etc. all phoned in confirming this new ``progressive`` bent in our educational system......it seems that school boards have determined that todays students do all their assignments on a computer and talk back and forth by message so there is no need to teach or learn how to read a cursively written sentence or word.....one nursing instructor phoned in and said she failed her whole class as they could not read or write a written sentence and were unable to perform even the most rudimentary tasks if there were no computer device available for them to print on.....she was flabbergasted...as am i........can the system be this bad ÉÉÉÉÉÉ......how can anyone read historical documents or journals if they are not taught to read and write cursive words at an early age..................a lot of the parents that called in stated they had put their kids in private school where cursive was taught or taught it to them at home......

When I was a little girl in China, we learned Sh?f?. We also learned cursive writing at my school. Maybe the generation 10 years younger than myself might have a problem with it, but I don't know how widespread it is. True though, who writes letters anymore??

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"I was listening to the Roy Green show whilst driving home today from another town and they were discussing the topic of cursive writing and the fact that very few schools teach it at all any more (Calgary) and some teach it briefly in grades three or four.....the topic came to light when a parent was helping his 14 year old son fill out his passport application which  the kid was required to sign.......as it happens he could not sign his own name...nor could he read the words that his parents filled in on the application....his parents were stunned to find out that most of today``s children can no longer read or write they english language if it is cursively written out....they are only taught to print or too read individual printed words...i was in disbelief that this topic was real.....but it went on for an hour and many many teachers, other parents, teachers assistants etc. all phoned in confirming this new ``progressive`` bent in our educational system......it seems that school boards have determined that todays students do all their assignments on a computer and talk back and forth by message so there is no need to teach or learn how to read a cursively written sentence or word.....one nursing instructor phoned in and said she failed her whole class as they could not read or write a written sentence and were unable to perform even the most rudimentary tasks if there were no computer device available for them to print on.....she was flabbergasted...as am i........can the system be this bad ÉÉÉÉÉÉ......how can anyone read historical documents or journals if they are not taught to read and write cursive words at an early age..................a lot of the parents that called in stated they had put their kids in private school where cursive was taught or taught it to them at home......

When I was a little girl in China, we learned Sh?f?. We also learned cursive writing at my school. Maybe the generation 10 years younger than myself might have a problem with it, but I don't know how widespread it is. True though, who writes letters anymore??
[/b]

that is what struck me of some of the callers who defended the choice to not teach it..as they felt it was no longer required......too me it seems we have lost some thing if people cannot sign their own names, read a hand written document etc......what happens when the power goes out.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

[/b]

that is what struck me of some of the callers who defended the choice to not teach it..as they felt it was no longer required......too me it seems we have lost some thing if people cannot sign their own names, read a hand written document etc......what happens when the power goes out.....

Oh, I agree it should be taught even if it is not used much anymore.

Anonymous

It's important that children learn cursive writing in my opinion..

My children attend a private Christian school and I am glad that they do teach them cursive writing..

As Mr Obvious Li pointed out they would not be able to read handwritten documents in a museum if they didn't learn cursive writing.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"It's important that children learn cursive writing in my opinion..

My children attend a private Christian school and I am glad that they do teach them cursive writing..

As Mr Obvious Li pointed out they would not be able to read handwritten documents in a museum if they didn't learn cursive writing.

Good for you Miss Fash....they particularly singled out the Calgary school system as not teaching cursive writing, reading any more...i also read recently that the Calgary school district no longer issues grades......i wonder why they are trying to out``progressive`the rest of the more progressive parts of the country.........

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"It's important that children learn cursive writing in my opinion..

Good for you Miss Fash....they particularly singled out the Calgary school system as not teaching cursive writing, reading any more...i also read recently that the Calgary school district no longer issues grades......i wonder why they are trying to out``progressive`the rest of the more progressive parts of the country.........

I do not want my children attending the public school system in Calgary for some of the reasons you mentioned  and more.

Anonymous

They don't how to write??

Romero

:lol:

My favourite:

"today``s children can no longer read or write they english language"

Renee

[/b]

I see this going on in the US as well and I always wonder how will future generations read The Declaration of Independence, or The Bill of Rights, or the US Constitution and it's amendments in their original form. But then I stop and realize that they won't have to; they will just let their elected leaders tell them what it says. Millions of people are already doing it so what's a few million more?   :x

People are freaking stupid and I swear they are getting stupider with every generation. Thankfully all my children with obvious exception of my 11 month old can write and read cursive and when it comes time for her to learn, I will make sure she knows how.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Obvious Li

i'm still trying to figure out how any "educator" could arrive at a place where they think it is ok not to be able to read or write your own name.....how could this happen ??...sounds like some conspiracy to ignorantize the population even further.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
[/b]

I see this going on in the US as well and I always wonder how will future generations read The Declaration of Independence, or The Bill of Rights, or the US Constitution and it's amendments in their original form. But then I stop and realize that they won't have to; they will just let their elected leaders tell them what it says. Millions of people are already doing it so what's a few million more?   :x

People are freaking stupid and I swear they are getting stupider with every generation. Thankfully all my children with obvious exception of my 11 month old can write and read cursive and when it comes time for her to learn, I will make sure she knows how.

Ms Renee, I made sure both of my children can read and write cursive too..

You raised a valid point about future leaders counting on an ignorant population..

I have never paid much attention to what happens in political circles, but now I think that may have been a mistake.

Anonymous

Even though English does not use characters, cursive should be taught. People that do not learn cursive writing are being denied their heritage.

Big mistake IMHO.

Odinson

Cursive writing is still in use in our schools, I think.

It looks good on formal papers and it is much faster to write.