News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Did business with a South African today.

Started by Angry White Male, March 13, 2018, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

Sort of a two part story, so bear with me.

My Combat Magnum has a trigger pull that is insanely heavy, and I wanted to lighten it up some.  My old gunsmith that I used to deal with from time to time retired a few years back.

So, I called Berry, a 'smith out in Delta that owns a smithing shop called 'Bits of Pieces'.  I think the guy is originally from South Africa.  Ex-South African cop, as well as other applicable and related credentials, made me confident in dealing with him.  Website:  http://www.bitsofpieces.com/">http://www.bitsofpieces.com/

Didn't hesitate to give me great advice over the phone, had the parts I needed, and was still helpful in shop.  Even a follow up of 'if you have any trouble, don't hesitate to call me.'  I know not many posters here own firearms, and even less in the Greater Van area, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the guy, as he seems to know his stuff.

I bought and installed a Wolff reduced power mainspring , and also installed a Wolff reduced power rebound spring.  Trigger pull is almost cut in half now.  A test at the range will ensure that the firing pin still hits the primers of various rounds hard enough to reliably fire them, but I'm hopeful that it will.  Berry could have charged me to do this simple job, but I think he had confidence that I could easily handle this, and he was right.

Now, this brings me to the second part of the story...  Why doesn't Canada import more Berry's?  Christ, we let everyone else flood in.  And considering the issues in South Africa at the moment, many should be fast-tracked here if they want to leave, unless they are pure trash.  If they are trash, they can stay there with the Negroes, and be amongst 'their own people.'

Plus, White South Africans aren't usually 'anti-guns' and 'pro-radical left' like some of the posters around these parts are.  I guess they are used to the necessity there to pack heaters, as it's the only way to deal with big, overgrown Negroes there that are now causing even more trouble than ever.

Anonymous

I met a Caucasian South African that owned a coffee shop..

He was Jewish.

kiebers

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
My Combat Magnum has a trigger pull that is insanely heavy, and I wanted to lighten it up some.  My old gunsmith that I used to deal with from time to time retired a few years back.

My dad worked free for a gunsmith to learn the trade. Triggers became his specialty. I have several that he tweaked to perfection. Nothing quite like a perfect trigger for a specific purpose. Pistol, target or hunting, each with its own purpose.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I met a Caucasian South African that owned a coffee shop..

He was Jewish.

I haven't met a white South African who wasn't a good person.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I met a Caucasian South African that owned a coffee shop..

He was Jewish.

I haven't met a white South African who wasn't a good person.

Not all, but most. I like the Afrikaans speakers better than the English speakers.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "kiebers"My dad worked free for a gunsmith to learn the trade. Triggers became his specialty. I have several that he tweaked to perfection. Nothing quite like a perfect trigger for a specific purpose. Pistol, target or hunting, each with its own purpose.

Nice!

I have to make it to Kenworth to get my part.

I then want to make it to the gun store to get some .38 rounds.  The local indoor range here doesn't allow Magnum rounds, since its backdrop is weak.  Or so they claim.

Too lazy today to travel further to the outdoor range, which permits anything.

Have to make sure the firing pin will still hit the primer hard enough for reliable ignition.

Angry White Male

The local indoor range here is like 50 years old.  Ventilation consists of propping the door open with the cigarette can.

Smell the lead!   :roll:

Anonymous

Apparently there are gun ranges here in the city, but I don't know where they are.

Blazor

Roanoke finally has an indoor range, closest outdoor ranges are an hour and a half away. I been wanting to go target practice lately. I aint been practicing in a few years, plus I wanna try out my grandfathers .357 I got handed down. Its never been shot.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"Roanoke finally has an indoor range, closest outdoor ranges are an hour and a half away. I been wanting to go target practice lately. I aint been practicing in a few years, plus I wanna try out my grandfathers .357 I got handed down. Its never been shot.

What are the rules in Virginia about transporting it Blazor?

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Blazor"Roanoke finally has an indoor range, closest outdoor ranges are an hour and a half away. I been wanting to go target practice lately. I aint been practicing in a few years, plus I wanna try out my grandfathers .357 I got handed down. Its never been shot.

Well, ammo and firearm have to be separate, ammo in a different container. If its a rifle or something, you have to have the chamber exposed. If if you have a conceal permit, it dont matter as far as a pistol if its concealed on you. Open carry is legal here. I've heard mixed things so I've been leery as far as carrying it on me while driving. I've heard the above, and I've heard according to opencarry.org that if you are carrying when you enter the vehicle, you are still carrying, and remain carrying when you exit the vehicle. I believe in open carry. It lets others know, and most importantly the criminals know. It dissuades crime. I dont believe in conceal carry, then THEY have a record of who carries.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

Well, ammo and firearm have to be separate, ammo in a different container. If its a rifle or something, you have to have the chamber exposed. If if you have a conceal permit, it dont matter as far as a pistol if its concealed on you. Open carry is legal here. I've heard mixed things so I've been leery as far as carrying it on me while driving. I've heard the above, and I've heard according to opencarry.org that if you are carrying when you enter the vehicle, you are still carrying, and remain carrying when you exit the vehicle. I believe in open carry. It lets others know, and most importantly the criminals know. It dissuades crime. I dont believe in conceal carry, then THEY have a record of who carries.

That makes sense.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Fashionista"Apparently there are gun ranges here in the city, but I don't know where they are.

I shoot at one every once in a while.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I shoot at one every once in a while.

I decided to stop being cheap, and went to a new range that's like five minutes from me.  My old range, with it's prohibition on Magnum rounds, led me to try this range:  https://www.therangelangley.com/">https://www.therangelangley.com/

I was impressed.  Check out the website.  Police train there.  They can even bring in vehicles to shoot at.

This place is the 'epitome' of ranges.  I will visit my old range if I wan't really 'old-school,' including a backstop that cannot handle Magnum rounds.

This new indoor range has a backstop that is certified up to .50 BMG, and yes, people do own those here.

Angry White Male

Met the owner today, super good guy.  Was taken on a personal tour.