Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Banning Alcohol would save 90,000 lives a year in the US

Started by Wazzzup, March 26, 2018, 03:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Self interest is the dominant force in American politics.

And Canadian. Our democracy, just like the states, desperately needs reform.

Bricktop

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Bricktop"There is no basis for banning alcohol, because it is a matter of personal choice.

It is part of society, which 90% of people can enjoy without any problem at all.

You could have said exactly the same about guns.  90% who won them never hurt anyone with them.  they  are also a part of society, and a more important one than alcohol.  You cannot protect your loved ones and your life in your home with scotch.  If you are threatened or stalked by an ex you cannot use merlot to protect yourself when you sleep at night.  If you own a store and someone is robbing it, you can't throw beer at them, well you could, but it probably won't work.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Bricktop"Oddly, in order to implement prohibition, the American constitution had to be amended..."the brewing industry was shut down in state after state by the legislatures and finally nationwide under the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution"...the same Constitution that they claim cannot be amended to prohibit private gun ownership.

More lies from the gun lobby.
Two thirds of state legislatures would have to agree to an amendment to take a right  away a majority of americans want to keep, not going to happen.

Quote from: "Bricktop"America tried it.

It didn't work.

We did try it.  like you say didn't work.  We're doing it with drugs. I don't think I ever met  a single person over 18 who hadn't at least tried smoking pot.

Yet somehow making guns illegal will work perfectly.  No one will ever be shot again, and unicorns will poop rainbows as far as the eye can see. :laugh:

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"There is no basis for banning alcohol, because it is a matter of personal choice.

It is part of society, which 90% of people can enjoy without any problem at all.

Same could be said about guns, it is a part of society, which 99.9%  of people can enjoy without any problem at all. Its that .1% that gets trigger happy, prolly even less than that. Because if the population is 300,000,000, then .1% is 300,000. So more like .01%, and that is prolly including suicides and such.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "Wazzzup"

You could have said exactly the same about guns.  90% who won them never hurt anyone with them.  they  are also a part of society, and a more important one than alcohol.  You cannot protect your loved ones and your life in your home with scotch.  If you are threatened or stalked by an ex you cannot use merlot to protect yourself when you sleep at night.  If you own a store and someone is robbing it, you can't throw beer at them, well you could, but it probably won't work.

Lol, you just made almost the same post I did  :laugh:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Bricktop

That is still 10 TIMES more than the average for other western nations.

What is it about America that 30,000 people die from firearms a year?

Anonymous

How about guns and alcohol are both bad for society?

Bricktop

Many things are bad for society, but as a society we accept them because their benefit outweighs their detriment.

Guns have no net benefit.

Anonymous

There are countries where alcohol is verboten. I would not want to visit any of them let alone live there.

Bricktop

And there are more countries where firearms are forbidden. Would you visit them?

Personally, I'd never travel to a country where I can't order a single malt and a bacon sandwich.

I've only spent time in two muslim countries, Malaysia and Indonesia. Travelled through Bahrain, Abu Dahbi, Egypt, Yemen. Thought they were horrible places.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"And there are more countries where firearms are forbidden. Would you visit them?

Personally, I'd never travel to a country where I can't order a single malt and a bacon sandwich.

I've only spent time in two muslim countries, Malaysia and Indonesia. Travelled through Bahrain, Abu Dahbi, Egypt, Yemen. Thought they were horrible places.

You went to Yemen? What in the hell for?

Bricktop

Only way to travel from Europe to the Asia pacific region in 1959.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Only way to travel from Europe to the Asia pacific region in 1959.

Your ship stopped in those countries and you remember them?

Bricktop

Oh, yes...it was an amazing adventure...India, Egypt, Yemen...coming from England it was seeing another world. The Suez Canal was only one ship wide in those days, so the space between the ship and the canal bank was a few metres. Locals would walk on the pathway and so you'd see camels, donkeys, and of course, Egyptians just a few feet away going about their daily business.