Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Thinking of buying an air purifier...

Started by Angry White Male, May 24, 2018, 05:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

First night miracle - woke up with very little congestion - not happened in years ... dust? allergens, combination of particles, no way to pin down, not sure

Getting a larger model on trial today for living area - not sure yet if needed, but likely is
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Angry White Male

I have read numerous reports similar to yours.  These things do work!

Canadian Tire and Home Depot carry larger models, like the 300, which take three HEPA filters.  Obviously for larger rooms...

cc

Thinking of the 250 for main area - at over 70.00 off this week

Depot was fairly expensive

Edit: Prices equal on most models but not on sale at depot - maybe they pricematch

Angry White Male

Home Depot will beat a competitors price by 10% for in store items.

If it's online sales only, they will simply pricematch.

Or so they claim!

Angry White Male

Was gonna say that the 250 has the same capacity as the 200.  The only difference is that is has bluetooth (useless to me).  So, may not be worth paying extra and to just stick with the cheaper 200.  Or get the 300, as it's not much more expensive than the 250.

cc

Ya. I'm going by the sale prices and what is available - 250 is 229 on sale - regular  300

Can't find 300 online for home depot

Angry White Male

300 at Home Depot $299.99:  https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.true-hepa-large-console.1000727632.html">https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.true ... 27632.html">https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.true-hepa-large-console.1000727632.html

Canadian Tire also has the 300, and I think it was on sale for the same price also @ $299.99.

I think Canadian Tire had the 200 also, and it was $229.00 also I believe, so in that case go with the 250 as it's the same price.

Angry White Male

Just one word of advice...  These units (the 100, 200, 250, and 300) take an "R" type HEPA filter.

It seems that within the last couple of months, these filters have been made by a different supplier, and some people are complaining that they emit a chemical odour, at least when they are new.

Mine does so a little bit, but I'll assume that should diminish with time.

The parent company Kaz is aware of this problem, and it looks like they're taking complaints seriously.  I would possibly avoid buying any replacement type R filters, until you actually need them, with the idea being that KAZ will have rectified the issue by then.

For me, it doesn't really bother me, but some people are quite sensitive to certain odours (which may be why they bought purifier in the first place)!

cc

Will keep eyes on that filter odor

Mate is out getting the 250 on sale - we plan to test if it will do bedroom at night aimed from dining room

If it works, will take both back and buy the 300 for 300.00

It not, will keep the 170 that worked beaut last night in bedroom and use 250 for rest of place or pay more and exchange for 300

Damn!! I'm happy!! First day without awful congestion (and all that accompanies it) in decades ... so far still good with nothing running

And thanks for your assistance!!

Angry White Male

No problem.  Just to give you a heads up on the potential filter issue that some have had.  Your 170 uses a different filter I believe.

And I'm sure one 300 would be more than adequate for a condo, but nothing wrong with having one in the bedroom and another in the living room.  In fact, having one for each room would work better I'm sure...

cc

Another night with the smaller version in the bedroom. Same "clear of congestion" result. Did stuff up a bit in living room today, so went back to bedroom and ran it awhile and all is now OK .. all the proof I need!!

We do see the need for me  .. "a life"  ... so we are returning the 200 series (not used it at all)  and going all the way for the 300 to do the main area  ... intend to run it on low speed all day and smaller one all night in bedroom

None on sale - Home Depot has stock and best price we can find

EDIT - We got the big one up & running also

Angry White Male

I don't think you'll find a better price.  Home Depot Bellingham has that model on sale right now, and even at sale price comes to $257.00 CDN.  Not worth going, as the duty would price it the same as you'd pay here.

I bought my Whynter A/C there, but only because they don't sell that brand in stores here.  Of course border guard made me pay duty, but the unit was on sale so that helped...

cc

Duty? I have never seen or paid  duty in decades

You sure? We just made two major purchases, new wheels, 800 US , custom grille 600 US

each shipped to Blaine, pickup up in Blaine  and paid only the usual sales taxes at border (exact amount of tax we would pay at a Canadian store) - No duty

So one would still save  on purchase .. but credit card conversion (one loses on)  and travel time & expense would make it not worth while unless visiting B'ham anyhow .. and maybe paying cash

Anyhow, our new 300 (Home Depot here) is purring in the dining / living room now till bedtime ...  and use the 170 (a really nice machine) for bedroom ... the 300 is nice also .. although a bit louder than I thought middle setting would be

Angry White Male

Yup.  They wrote me the little yellow "go inside and pay duty" slip!  They often won't bother for gas and a few groceries, but I guess they figured the A/C unit was worth enough to make me pay duty!

Duty is not applicable to items made in the US, Canada, or Mexico (NAFTA?).  However, this item was made in China (of course), so they hit me up with the duty, which worked out to more than just the sales tax would have been!

And good that you found luck with your air purifiers!  That 300 should move enough air if left on most of the time, so why not just leave it running on the lowest setting for added silence?

Odinson

If you marry an 18year old latina girl.. She keeps everything clean all the time.

Your belly will be full and your balls will be empty.