Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Thinking of buying an air purifier...

Started by Angry White Male, May 24, 2018, 05:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

It's not that I'm allergic or anything, but I went with dark furnishings that appear to dust up quite quickly.

I'm not that lazy, but I don't exactly care to dust all the time either.

Wonder how much a decent purifier would actually help with removing dust?

Berry Sweet

You can also open your windows on the daily for fresh air.

Angry White Male

I never open my windows, as I like to climate control my unit year round.

Anonymous

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Fashionista"Is dust a problem in your condo Mel?

Dust is a problem in every dwelling worldwide, as far as I know.

It's just that my very dark furnishings show even small amounts of dust very easily, and would prefer to dust less frequently.

Bringing me to question whether a purifier would help much with that...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"

Dust is a problem in every dwelling worldwide, as far as I know.

It's just that my very dark furnishings show even small amounts of dust very easily, and would prefer to dust less frequently.

Not if you keep on top of cleaning your home.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Angry White Male"I never open my windows, as I like to climate control my unit year round.

You do realize the dust is YOUR dead skin cells.  There is also bacteria in the air that just keeps circulating.

Are you afraid of fresh air?

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Fashionista"Not if you keep on top of cleaning your home.

I've clearly stated that I'd like to reduce dusting intervals!

Berry Sweet

No.  Because you shed dead skin cells.

This is just as dumb as this person who asked me if there was a product they could buy to put in their garden so weeds won't grow....what a dumb world...

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"You do realize the dust is YOUR dead skin cells.  There is also bacteria in the air that just keeps circulating.

Are you afraid of fresh air?

You are wrong.  Dead skin cells make up only a small portion of dust.

The air here is fresh.  Why wouldn't it be?  It's not like I live in a sealed hyperbaric oxygen chamber.  I'm not Michael Jackson.  It's just that I'm not going to attempt to heat or cool my unit with all the fucking windows open!

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"No.  Because you shed dead skin cells.

This is just as dumb as this person who asked me if there was a product they could buy to put in their garden so weeds won't grow....what a dumb world...

Dumb?  Your brain is obviously too fried to even understand my question.  Go smoke another joint...

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"No.  Because you shed dead skin cells.

Dumb?  Your brain is obviously too fried to even understand my question.  Go smoke another joint...

What is dust made up of? Dust is made up of a variety of things from blowing dirt, bacteria, pollen, pollutants, molds, animal dander, hair, decomposing insects, fibers, dryer lint, insulation, dust mites and their excrement, and mostly, skin flakes that humans shed.

http://www.pagespersonalcleaning.net/household_dust.htm">http://www.pagespersonalcleaning.net/household_dust.htm

Angry White Male

I know what it's fucking made out of, and was trying to correct you in your thinking that dust is nothing more than dead skin cells.

Angry White Male

I suppose the only way to know how well a particular purifier would work, is to simply run one and see how much the filter ends up trapping over time.  HEPA-type filter is a must...

Angry White Male

Decided to purchase the Honeywell HPA100.  It's a smaller to mid-sized unit, so easy enough to tuck it somewhere out of the way.  It does take true HEPA filters, which are a tad more pricey than regular filters.  It has a coarser pre-filter, which should be changed more often, but aren't terribly expensive.

Will see how much dust this thing pulls out of the air over time.  The more in its filters, the less to end up on my furnishings, which is the goal.

However, asthmatics and people with allergies do claim that these things help them big time, so they must do something!