The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

posters who have influenced you

Started by Anonymous, June 02, 2018, 07:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

I find it interesting that some people would think of me as an "influence" because anyone who cites me as an influence; really needs to get out more... :laugh3:

As for influence;... over the years of my online life, I've had several posters "influence" me, almost all of them negatively. I won't name names but they range from being just plain stupid, to utterly obnoxious, to skin crawlingly creepy, (I leave it to the readers to figure out who they are). Each and every one of them have "influenced" me in regard to how NOT to behave, think, or present myself, online OR in real life.

As for positive influences, they are few and far between. While I may admire the knowledge, personality or charisma some of you bring to the table, I have to ask; is soaking up a bit of knowledge, passed on by another, really an Influence? I personally do not consider it so.

Knowledge can be gained independently of others, all it takes is a little curiosity and desire to learn. If you don't have that, then chances are you are not going to be influenced by the knowledge passed on by others. Without curiosity or desire to learn, you are basically a dead stick, a dunce, a dolt, an intellectually lazy, cement headed, clod. Furthermore the knowledge that is imparted by others should always be questioned, regardless of how legit or rational it may seem. You have to always keep in mind that forums are primarily places for debate, and many times the knowledge put forth in this form of communication is self serving.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

As for positive influences, they are few and far between. While I may admire the knowledge, personality or charisma some of you bring to the table, I have to ask; is soaking up a bit of knowledge, passed on by another, really an Influence? I personally do not consider it so.

Knowledge can be gained independently of others, all it takes is a little curiosity and desire to learn. If you don't have that, then chances are you are not going to be influenced by the knowledge passed on by others. Without curiosity or desire to learn, you are basically a dead stick, a dunce, a dolt, an intellectually lazy, cement headed, clod. Furthermore the knowledge that is imparted by others should always be questioned, regardless of how legit or rational it may seem. You have to always keep in mind that forums are primarily places for debate, and many times the knowledge put forth in this form of communication is self serving.

But, people can make you aware of things that you were previously totally unaware of.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"I find it interesting that some people would think of me as an "influence" because anyone who cites me as an influence; really needs to get out more... :laugh3:

As for influence;... over the years of my online life, I've had several posters "influence" me, almost all of them negatively. I won't name names but they range from being just plain stupid, to utterly obnoxious, to skin crawlingly creepy, (I leave it to the readers to figure out who they are). Each and every one of them have "influenced" me in regard to how NOT to behave, think, or present myself, online OR in real life.

I wouldn't necessarily use the word "influence" either. But, Fash explained why she used that word.

I enjoy posters who know what the heck they are talking about. You would be one of them when the topic turns to firearms and the US constitution. I still have no desire to own guns though.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"This thread has been a revelation to me.  It's helpful to see positive regard among posters.

While I've found several posters here to be "good reads" I think the ones easiest for me to relate to have been Seoulbro, Kiebers and Renee (for widely differing reasons, most of which have already been mentioned.)

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of music. I, on the other hand am tone deaf.

cc

Music is totally in the ear of the beholder - totally a personal thing

One person's elixir is another's poison .. and vice versa
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Music is totally in the ear of the beholder - totally a personal thing

One person's elixir is another's poison .. and vice versa

True, personal tastes are what they are. But, I am one of the few Koreans who can't play the violin or the piano. :laugh3:

cc

No wonder they threw you out

ac_smile

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"No wonder they threw you out

ac_smile

I don't blame them. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"

But, people can make you aware of things that you were previously totally unaware of.

Very true and I'm not denying that...But I consider an "influence" only if it has an effect on my character or behavior.

Anything anyone has to say here or anywhere else online is probably not going to do that, at least not for me. I like to consider myself my own person, with my own independent thoughts and opinions. I will listen to any POV so long as it is reasoned and sensible but there is no one on the internet that will or can make an impact on my character, and I'm pretty confident of that. In my life, those who have impacted my character or behavior have been my parents, siblings, some of my teachers, and one or two of my past coaches. Sorry to say but posters don't fall into the same category.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Very true and I'm not denying that...But I consider an "influence" only if it has an effect on my character or behavior.

Anything anyone has to say here or anywhere else online is probably not going to do that, at least not for me. I like to consider myself my own person, with my own independent thoughts and opinions. I will listen to any POV so long as it is reasoned and sensible but there is no one on the internet that will or can make an impact on my character, and I'm pretty confident of that. In my life, those who have impacted my character or behavior have been my parents, siblings, some of my teachers, and one or two of my past coaches. Sorry to say but posters don't fall into the same category.

I suppose influence may have been the wrong word to use..

I've had people in real life and open up my eyes to things I was in the dark about, so I shouldn't be surprised that it could happen on the internet too.

@realAzhyaAryola

As a woman of a mature age possessing my experiences and knowledge, no poster on the forum has the ability to influence me. I am set in my ways. Moreover, this isn't a place to seek answers. As another has said, please get out more. Escape the dungeon that is your prison.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"As a woman of a mature age possessing my experiences and knowledge, no poster on the forum has the ability to influence me. I am set in my ways. Moreover, this isn't a place to seek answers. As another has said, please get out more. Escape the dungeon that is your prison.

It's not a matter not getting out and as has been said, perhaps "influence" was the wrong word to use.

I've met people in other areas of my life that have introduced issues I hadn't thought about before, so why not online too.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"As a woman of a mature age possessing my experiences and knowledge, no poster on the forum has the ability to influence me. I am set in my ways. Moreover, this isn't a place to seek answers. As another has said, please get out more. Escape the dungeon that is your prison.

Some people become obstinate with age.

cc

True enough, lol ^

Correct me if I'm wrong Fash, but I suspected all along that you were  referring to  "learning" and "thinking about" things offered by others .... new things, fresh perspectives etc.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"True enough, lol ^

Correct me if I'm wrong Fash, but I suspected all along that you were  referring to  "learning" and "thinking about" things offered by others .... new things, fresh perspectives etc.

Yes, that's right cc..

I should have worded the op differently.