News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Seatbelts, Commercial Vehicles, and Cops...

Started by Chuck Bronson, July 11, 2018, 02:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Bronson

When I first started driving big truck at 19, it was understood that the cops would typically leave us alone if we weren't belted in, generally speaking...  Most cops left us alone.  And then quickly things changed, to a 'no exemption' policy for anyone.  Doesn't matter who they are, or what they drive, ticket them if not belted.

Here's the problem with big trucks like my old Kenworth...  They have air-ride seats, but seat-belt mounting points are on the floor.  As you can see, this creates a very big problem...  A solidly mounted seatbelt, on a seat that can travel a foot up and down.  If you want to know what it's like to be crushed by your 'safety webbing,' come for a ride with me.

Remember that 'Emergency Personnel' are exempt from seat belt laws in this country, as it could 'interfere with their duties'.  Fair enough.

So now that is has been established that I cannot properly wear a seatbelt either (in a 100,000 pound truck that will snap telephone poles like fucking toothpicks, I'm not too concerned about 'my safety', and they should not be either)...

Trucks like mine have always come with what is called a 'Komfort Latch' tradenamed, or basically a belt-lock, meaning you pull the belt out, and you can lock it in that position, so that it doesn't retract.  Allows you to wear the belt loose, or just drape it over your shoulder to make it look like you're belted in.

We still do not belt in, but due to bullshit enforcement, we have to pretend we are belted in.

This is the wear and tear that a relatively new T-Shirt of mine gets from the friction of simply draping the belt over my shoulder.  It is not even 'clicked in.'  Just draped over.  The seat moves crazily up and down, especially in a dump truck like mine that rides like a fucking Bucking Bronco.

I'm glad the cops take such time to enforce our safety...  It has made a tremendous difference in the amount of shirts I've had to replace, while having done this job for 20 years never actually properly buckled in once, and never will.

Oh well...  Shirts are cheaper than a stream of seat-belt tickets!  They USED to leave us alone...

http://i65.tinypic.com/28iszky.jpg">

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"When I first started driving big truck at 19, it was understood that the cops would typically leave us alone if we weren't belted in, generally speaking...  Most cops left us alone.  And then quickly things changed, to a 'no exemption' policy for anyone.  Doesn't matter who they are, or what they drive, ticket them if not belted.

Here's the problem with big trucks like my old Kenworth...  They have air-ride seats, but seat-belt mounting points are on the floor.  As you can see, this creates a very big problem...  A solidly mounted seatbelt, on a seat that can travel a foot up and down.  If you want to know what it's like to be crushed by your 'safety webbing,' come for a ride with me.

Remember that 'Emergency Personnel' are exempt from seat belt laws in this country, as it could 'interfere with their duties'.  Fair enough.

So now that is has been established that I cannot properly wear a seatbelt either (in a 100,000 pound truck that will snap telephone poles like fucking toothpicks, I'm not too concerned about 'my safety', and they should not be either)...

Trucks like mine have always come with what is called a 'Komfort Latch' tradenamed, or basically a belt-lock, meaning you pull the belt out, and you can lock it in that position, so that it doesn't retract.  Allows you to wear the belt loose, or just drape it over your shoulder to make it look like you're belted in.

We still do not belt in, but due to bullshit enforcement, we have to pretend we are belted in.

This is the wear and tear that a relatively new T-Shirt of mine gets from the friction of simply draping the belt over my shoulder.  It is not even 'clicked in.'  Just draped over.  The seat moves crazily up and down, especially in a dump truck like mine that rides like a fucking Bucking Bronco.

I'm glad the cops take such time to enforce our safety...  It has made a tremendous difference in the amount of shirts I've had to replace, while having done this job for 20 years never actually properly buckled in once, and never will.

Oh well...  Shirts are cheaper than a stream of seat-belt tickets!  They USED to leave us alone...

http://i65.tinypic.com/28iszky.jpg">

Brown towels to hide the skid marks eh?

Chuck Bronson

Too long, didn't read?  

Officer friendly needs to stop worrying about my personal safety, since I don't wear a seat belt properly anyhow.  The ticket earnings he gets from us may look good to his superiors, but does nothing for road safety.

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Brown towels to hide the skid marks eh?

Learn to edit your posts properly.

When I furnished this place, I went with a darker theme for everything.  May not go so dark next time.  Shows everything...

Frood

People in positions of authority often exempt themselves from the rules they try to enforce on us. Everything from seatbelts, self defence, to superannuation funds. Such hypocrisy will never end. That's why revolts inevitably happen. People get tired of being second class.
Blahhhhhh...

Chuck Bronson

Yup.  I questioned the officer as to why he was more concerned about my 'safety' for not wearing a belt driving a 100,000 pound vehicle, while he was not wearing his driving his 4,000lb Crown Vic.

As usual, they just quote the Motor Vehicle Act here, and issue the ticket.  That's what they are paid to do.  Collect revenue, and nothing more.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"People in positions of authority often exempt themselves from the rules they try to enforce on us. Everything from seatbelts, self defence, to superannuation funds. Such hypocrisy will never end. That's why revolts inevitably happen. People get tired of being second class.

You going to lead the people to the ramparts, Vladimir?

Pissants like you don't have the balls to stand up to authority. Instead you mouth off in forums and pretend you're a badass.

Just another sheep in the flock, Aaron. And not a particularly significant one.

Chuck Bronson

I will offer any cop a ride in my old Kenworth...

I will NEVER get a ticket ever again from that officer.  They'll know fucking pain and discomfort, for 10 straight fucking hours.

They have no idea.  They can fuck off with the 'safety shit'...

Frood

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"People in positions of authority often exempt themselves from the rules they try to enforce on us. Everything from seatbelts, self defence, to superannuation funds. Such hypocrisy will never end. That's why revolts inevitably happen. People get tired of being second class.

You going to lead the people to the ramparts, Vladimir?

Pissants like you don't have the balls to stand up to authority. Instead you mouth off in forums and pretend you're a badass.

Just another sheep in the flock, Aaron. And not a particularly significant one.

Pipe down you tubby little banana shirt wearing geriatric clown.

Economics kills authority in the end.

Have some tapioca pudding and watch the coming Depression show.  ac_hithere
Blahhhhhh...

caskur

My mother used to drive us 4 kids from Perth to Dongara 3 times a year on The Great Northern Hway at a speed of 65-75 miles an hour for 372 miles and none of us wore seat belts. EJ Holden station wagons didn't have them.

I would never not wear a seat belt these days though... going through windscreens doesn't do your face and teeth any good. Having said that, I drove off from the beach one night a few weeks back without belting up and my car let me know it.... I thought, "holy shit dementia is setting in early."
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Blazor

I miss those days when I was a kid, not wearing a seat belt. Sitting in the passenger side of my moms Thunderbird on my knees so I could let my mullet blow in the wind while I hung out the window in my sleeveless rock tshirt lol.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"I miss those days when I was a kid, not wearing a seat belt. Sitting in the passenger side of my moms Thunderbird on my knees so I could let my mullet blow in the wind while I hung out the window in my sleeveless rock tshirt lol.

My truck makes loud noises if you don't wear your belt. It drives me crazy, so I wear it even when I'm working on my farm.

Blazor

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Blazor"I miss those days when I was a kid, not wearing a seat belt. Sitting in the passenger side of my moms Thunderbird on my knees so I could let my mullet blow in the wind while I hung out the window in my sleeveless rock tshirt lol.

My truck makes loud noises if you don't wear your belt. It drives me crazy, so I wear it even when I'm working on my farm.

Like dings and alarms going off? Might be a way to disable it.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Herman"

Like dings and alarms going off? Might be a way to disable it.

I assume he means the beeping that goes on in intervals until you buckle up.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Herman"My truck makes loud noises if you don't wear your belt. It drives me crazy, so I wear it even when I'm working on my farm.

Those chimes can generally be turned off.  On my Mustang, the procedure to do so is outlined in the owners manual, and it's something like turning the key on-off-on-off, and then buckling and unbuckling the belt ten times!  Something like that.  But the chimes can be turned off on most vehicles by the owners.

I have done so, even though I do wear a belt properly in my car.  My Kenworth?  I'm not too fucking worried about being belted in properly, as very little could cause me to fly through the windshield.  And if it did, I'd be dead, belt or not!