News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Seatbelts, Commercial Vehicles, and Cops...

Started by Chuck Bronson, July 11, 2018, 02:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

Quote from: "caskur"Oh I thought you'd like to hear my first and only speeding ticket when I was 19, driving my super cool Austin Lancer 1959 model....

That was more entertaining... Oh well, I'll let boring cat fishing Freud entertain you then.

Well, others may be more engaged.

Having dished out thousands of fines during my time, the subject is rather mundane to me.

caskur

I have a near perfect driving record... 3 small fines in 41 years of driving... I bet you and Freud can't claim the same?  :wink:

Actually, you should be writing a little paperback and call it, 'the life and times of an Ozzie traffic cop,' or something like that. How many stories have you got stashed away in the recesses of your mind?
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

I was never a "traffic" cop. All uniformed cops are expected to monitor traffic for violations. Traffic cops are just dedicated to that one area, so they also deal with accidents, traffic blockages, truckers and speed detection equipment.

Now, when I was in the Vice Squad, those tales would make good reading...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I was never a "traffic" cop. All uniformed cops are expected to monitor traffic for violations. Traffic cops are just dedicated to that one area, so they also deal with accidents, traffic blockages, truckers and speed detection equipment.

In Canada, traffic cops are not actually police officers. They are peace officers. The same as federal prison guards or CBSA agents.

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"I was never a "traffic" cop. All uniformed cops are expected to monitor traffic for violations. Traffic cops are just dedicated to that one area, so they also deal with accidents, traffic blockages, truckers and speed detection equipment.

On that tree group I have a retired Federal cop...

The police used to hassle my husband Kurt to join so eventually he went to Perth Headquarters and the policeman asked Kurt's age, he said 33, the cop said too old (cut off at that time was 32) and then on seconds thoughts suggested the Feds which meant Kurt would go away a lot. Feds cut off was 34.

Now there is no age discrimination.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Shen Li"In Canada, traffic cops are not actually police officers. They are peace officers. The same as federal prison guards or CBSA agents.

Not true at all.  Remember that the Provinces themselves have some control over how they handle policing duties.

In BC, we have the 'Integrated Road Safety Unit' to do traffic duties.  These officers are a combination of RCMP officers, and also municipal police officers.  These are 'full fledged' cops, although their work is dedicated to mainly traffic duties.

I'll tell you another difference...  BC Sheriff Services (prisoner transport/court security, etc), can NOT issue Motor Vehicle Act infraction tickets, whereas Alberta Sheriffs Branch CAN issue MVA tickets, yet they both are armed Peace Officers.

We have BCCVSE for trucks.  They are NOT armed, but CAN issue tickets to anyone.

There are many differences from Province to Province.

Chuck Bronson

When my stepfather joined the force, he essentially frowned upon having to issue MVA tickets, as that's what he didn't enter policing for.  They actually forced him to go out and write at least one MVA ticket.  So he did.  A quick walk from the detachment, he found an 'unsecured vehicle.'  Window down, and keys in the car.  Here, it is a violation to leave an unattended vehicle unlocked with the keys in it.

Owner of the car contested ticket, and won in court.  Turns out the car didn't have a battery, so there was no way it could have been started.  Ticket ruled null and void.

That was his first and last MVA ticket ever issued.  He thought of most dedicated traffic cops as 'dough heads' that have at times done more damage than good...  As he quickly moved up the ranks, he saw the damage these dough heads did when he was an investigator.  Not uncommon for him to hear comments from potential witnesses like, "One of you assholes gave me a fine for going 5 over, and now you want my help?  Get lost!"

Frood

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"At least the cops here stopped hassling people for not wearing a helmet while bicycling.  THAT was the dumbest law to implement, ever.

I agree, stupid law. If you WANT to wear one, then wear one, if not, dont, should be that simple. I never wore a helmet as a kid on a bike, and I turned out fine  :laugh:

It's illegal here to ride a bicycle without a helmet, walk multiple abreast together as a group, or skateboard after having a few beers.

:2r4ml1j_th:

Also illegal here to ride a lawnmower after a few beers.

Btw, cops here like to profile as well. I cant count the times I was pulled over over bullshit nit picky things, just so they could search my vehicle. The last time I had enough, and asked if I was being profiled, because it wasnt the first time I've been searched. They let me go.

I was distantly tailed in the middle of nowhere for like 20 k's once from one bush town to nearly another. Had it on cruise control and my vehicle was clean in appearance. After getting nearly rammed up the bum by this prick I finally had enough and signaled and came to a very abrupt stop in the bulldust along the side of the road. Whipped my licence out in my hand outside the window with the other on the wheel.

The prick was astonished. I told him to get it the hell over with and that I didn't appreciate being harassed for over 10 minutes. Run my licence, search my car, do whatever bullshit thing he wanted to do but never ever crawl up my arse like that again or I would depress the brakes and he would have a smashed front end and he'd be at fault for tailgating.

He came back visibly shaken. Apologized profusely. Let me on my way.

ac_lmfao

...and then you woke up.

Actually a true story whether you contest it or not.

Here's another one:

In my Uni days I lived with 2 students and the older boyfriend of one of them who had just bought the house. He was a bit rough around the edges but a top bloke who grew up in the area and knew most of the cops including some in Vice since he either went to school with them and or partied with them.

Anyway, he liked his nightly bud and had a couple of massive potted plants going at any one time for personal consumption.

At some point he had a falling out with one member of his family and they thought nobody would know if they dobbed him in for weed and he got busted. Unfortunately for them, the planned bust date and time rolled across the desk of his good Vice mate and he got a phone call early in the morning with a clear warning. The cops would be showing up at an exact time in a coordinated swoop from different angles and to have those plants off the premises when they did.

Being a Tradie and always working at distant work sites, there was no way he could get home fast enough to do it himself so he called his gf, and the three us struggled to lift these things into the back seat of an XD Falcon but finally managed. She drove off and stayed away for an hour. They came through the house and were gone in under 5 minutes.

The BF got a call a couple hours later from the same contact with instructions to drop off three slabs of a particular beer to the local cop shop with a name and that was it. The whole thing was settled.  ac_toofunny

Many months later we had a huge house party and a few of those cops including the Vice guy were there with their wives and drinking like fishes and smoking like a bush fire.  ac_lmfao

But you can again suggest it never happened if it makes you sleep better.
Blahhhhhh...

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Many months later we had a huge house party and a few of those cops including the Vice guy were there with their wives and drinking like fishes and smoking like a bush fire.  ac_lmfao

Nice!  Why not just do like they do here though, and apply to build the bar right into the police detachment!  I have no idea if their request was actually approved, but it probably was!   :laugh:

QuoteNew Mountie headquarters in Guildford will feature a bar.  RCMP's E-Division has applied for a liquor licence for its new facility in Green Timbers Urban Forest.

The Green Timbers mess hall will seat 500, and according to the application, will be allowed to operate from 11 a.m. to midnight daily, and until 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/new-mountie-headquarters-in-guildford-will-feature-a-bar/">https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/ne ... ure-a-bar/">https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/new-mountie-headquarters-in-guildford-will-feature-a-bar/

Bricktop

I suggest it never happened because you are an inveterate liar, and Vice did not do drug raids.

That was the Drug Squad. And they never rang ahead. Ever.

Just more Freud bullshit.

Frood

Quote from: "Bricktop"

I suggest it never happened because you are an inveterate liar, and Vice did not do drug raids.

That was the Drug Squad. And they never rang ahead. Ever.

Just more Freud bullshit.

You keep crying about your Freud but that doesn't change the experiences I've described for ME.  ac_smile
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

In Canada, traffic cops are not actually police officers. They are peace officers. The same as federal prison guards or CBSA agents.

That's true, the Alberta Sheriffs are not police officers.

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Fashionista"That's true, the Alberta Sheriffs are not police officers.

Actually, it not true.  I explained this already in a post above.  Different Provinces do things differently in this regard.

caskur

- Andy Warhol

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "caskur"Do Sheriffs carry guns?

They are armed in BC and Alberta, and I would assume they are armed in other Provinces also...