Replies: 8530
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 06:52:17 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

Do you travel- vacation much?

Started by Superchecker, September 14, 2018, 08:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetsu

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"Nigeria or Somalia? Really?

Probably Nigeria, lots of wild life there, but for Somalia I might need to reconsider a bit lol, but if my friend wouldn't mind being my tour guide, then why not?  ac_biggrin
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"

Probably Nigeria, lots of wild life there, but for Somalia I might need to reconsider a bit lol, but if my friend wouldn't mind being my tour guide, then why not?  ac_biggrin

Neither country has developed infrastructure, so few tourists. Both have their dangers too. But, not everyone travels for the same reasons.

Zetsu

Quote from: "seoulbro"

Neither country has developed infrastructure, so few tourists. Both have their dangers too. But, not everyone travels for the same reasons.

If I ever travel to Nigeria going in a tour would solve most of the inconvinience issue and for Solmalia might be better to ask my friend for advice since he grew up there before coming to Canada.  But truth to be told the whole beauty of these countries is that it's undeveloped, hence the culture and nature is well preserve, I guess another reason is mainly b/c I grew up watching a lot of Japanese animations and I've always been fascinated with these kind of dystopia environments, lol.

Anonymous

If I ever travel to Nigeria going in a tour would solve most of the inconvinience issue and for Solmalia might be better to ask my friend for advice since he grew up there before coming to Canada.  But truth to be told the whole beauty of these countries is that it's undeveloped, hence the culture and nature is well preserve, I guess another reason is mainly b/c I grew up watching a lot of Japanese animations and I've always been fascinated with these kind of dystopia environments, lol.

There is something to be said for visiting unspoiled places..

But, if more people travel to such places they won't be unspoiled and underdeveloped for long.

Bricktop

When I visited Cambodia, I was of a mind that I would be visiting an unspoiled third world nation unencumbered by western consumerism and frenzied lifestyle.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. Cambodians knew the value of tourism, and had cultivated a massive industry around their ancient treasures. I approached one of the temples, which all have attendants near the entrance to ensure you have a temple pass. I showed my pass and walked on, but immediately heard a loud cry from behind.

"Hey Mister"

I turned and the attendant was looking at me. Assuming something was amiss with my pass, I stopped and asked what the problem was.

"Apple Watch. You got Apple Watch. Show me. How much you want???"

Cambodians have a great sense of humour.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"When I visited Cambodia, I was of a mind that I would be visiting an unspoiled third world nation unencumbered by western consumerism and frenzied lifestyle.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. Cambodians knew the value of tourism, and had cultivated a massive industry around their ancient treasures. I approached one of the temples, which all have attendants near the entrance to ensure you have a temple pass. I showed my pass and walked on, but immediately heard a loud cry from behind.

"Hey Mister"

I turned and the attendant was looking at me. Assuming something was amiss with my pass, I stopped and asked what the problem was.

"Apple Watch. You got Apple Watch. Show me. How much you want???"

Cambodians have a great sense of humour.

If the tourists  come, so will those selling souvenirs.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Fashionista"

There is something to be said for visiting unspoiled places..

But, if more people travel to such places they won't be unspoiled and underdeveloped for long.

It couldn't be anymore true, in fact places like Hong Kong was once just a little fishing village until it became a British colony and the first harbour port of mainland China, just one type of business of exporting and importing goods put the whole city's economy on steriods for almost a century.  ac_cool

Bricktop

By the thousands!!!

I wanted to buy a some T shirts. As usual, near the temples the souvenir hawkers have set up their shops...with 20 vendors selling the exact same stuff.

So I go into one store, buy three T shirts, and when I come out, there's a horde of women surrounding me holding up T Shirts. The fact that I have just purchased some seems not to have registered. They were supposed to surround me BEFORE I go into a shop.

Same thing happens in most SE Asian tourist centres. In Bali, they are quite intimidating.

Zetsu

If I was the leader of those country I'd criminalize hard selling, it's really nothing but a nuisance to the tourists and a disgrace to their own ppl... I just cringe every time I see street market merchants in HK trying to put a watch or any of their products on a foreign customer despite how many times they politely refused.  ac_unsure

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"If I was the leader of those country I'd criminalize hard selling, it's really nothing but a nuisance to the tourists and a disgrace to their own ppl... I just cringe every time I see street market merchants in HK trying to put a watch or any of their products on a foreign customer despite how many times they politely refused.  ac_unsure

The most aggressive hawkers in tourist areas of HK are South Asians, not Chinese.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Zetsu"If I was the leader of those country I'd criminalize hard selling, it's really nothing but a nuisance to the tourists and a disgrace to their own ppl... I just cringe every time I see street market merchants in HK trying to put a watch or any of their products on a foreign customer despite how many times they politely refused.  ac_unsure

The most aggressive hawkers in tourist areas of HK are South Asians, not Chinese.

I've never been to the south Asians community in HK nor ever wanted to go there, but it doesn't sound surprising to me, can't blame them for having those gypsy genes.   :001_tongue:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

I don't think they sell many watches, handbags and suits for men to tourists.

Bricktop

I believe the Indonesian authorities have cleaned up Bali a bit. Many Australians stay away from the place because of the swarms of hawkers everywhere you go.

It's sad...because if they don't sell, they don't eat...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

I believe the Indonesian authorities have cleaned up Bali a bit. Many Australians stay away from the place because of the swarms of hawkers everywhere you go.

It's sad...because if they don't sell, they don't eat...

I heard that about Bali.

Bricktop

All true, sadly.

Worse than mosquitos. And they're more likely to be Javanese than Balinese.