Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Has anyone ever served in the military?

Started by Gaon, January 01, 2019, 08:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I was never in the army, cadets or even cub scouts. I never had any desire to either.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Never wanted to do military service. I don't do well with orders.

You mean you're too chickenshit to put your neck on the line for others.

Frood

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Never wanted to do military service. I don't do well with orders.

You mean you're too chickenshit to put your neck on the line for others.

No.

I mean that I make my own decisions. I'm not a minion.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

cc

I was Air Force Reservist as a late teen .. merely a part time and summer thing

Sure did lose a lot of my heritage people who fought the nazis in Air Force and Army, though
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"I was Air Force Reservist as a late teen .. merely a part time and summer thing

Sure did lose a lot of my heritage people who fought the nazis in Air Force and Army, though

I can relate to that cc..

My grandfather, and my great uncles were conscripted into the Japanese Imperial Army..

Taiwanese got the jobs Japanese didn't want to do.

cc

Yes, I was aware of how that worked

Between them and the nazis, the late 30s and early 40s were an unimaginable hell on earth
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Gaon

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "cc"I was Air Force Reservist as a late teen .. merely a part time and summer thing

My grandfather, and my great uncles were conscripted into the Japanese Imperial Army..

You are the first person to admit they had relatives to serve in Japan's military.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

I think when she says "conscripted" she means "compelled". As in work for the military or be executed.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"I think when she says "conscripted" she means "compelled". As in work for the military or be executed.

I know what she means. I was conscripted, but I would not have been executed had I refused.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gaon"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

You are the first person to admit they had relatives to serve in Japan's military.

There's a real stigma among East Asians who have relatives who served Imperial Japan, even if it was against their will.

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"I think when she says "conscripted" she means "compelled". As in work for the military or be executed.

I know what she means. I was conscripted, but I would not have been executed had I refused.

My husbands father was in the Hitler youth.

His oldest brother was shot down in a plane over Russia.

One sister never married. She was kidnapped by gypsies and rescued two weeks later.

Everyone has stories because they were WHOLE world wars... EVERYONE has a story and usually they were terrible.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"

My husbands father was in the Hitler youth.

His oldest brother was shot down in a plane over Russia.

One sister never married. She was kidnapped by gypsies and rescued two weeks later.

Everyone has stories because they were WHOLE world wars... EVERYONE has a story and usually they were terrible.

:ohmy:

caskur

Quote from: "Gaon"I was in the IDF for three years. I was an infantryman. I saw combat in the Second Intifada. And I was in the Battle of Jenin. Thankfully I wasn't injured. But, it's something I will never forget.

Has anyone else served in the military. I think Odinson might have. If you have, please tell us about it.

Only one cousin of my nephew and niece (but not a blood relation to me) served in Iraq, twice... he actually married a Japanese girl after he left the Australian military. Interesting that she went back to Japan to have her baby and didn't have it in Australia.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol