News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10388
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:30:51 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

is there any idiom that describes a situation?

Started by jaysings, December 08, 2013, 07:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaysings

Quote from: "Obvious Li"how about this for an idiom...................

all women are whiners.....pregnant women whine more than usual.....now move on

forget about "pregnancy" and "pregnant women in wards" but just think about this kind of occasion. what will u say in idiom if u get a response by such an asshole?

Romero

Quote from: "jaysings"look, forget about "pregnancy" but give some resembled occasions a deep thinking for how to reply in idiom if u got that kind of responses by such assholes.

I did, but I still can't think of any!

I also tried to think of something similar to 夏虫不可语冰, but I dunno.

Obvious Li

well you can do what i do.....tell them to "fuck off".....if they do you've proved your point..if they don't it gives you another opportunity to insult the dumb fucks.....cheers

jaysings

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "jaysings"look, forget about "pregnancy" but give some resembled occasions a deep thinking for how to reply in idiom if u got that kind of responses by such assholes.

oh, I hardly noticed that u are able to read Chinese until this of your comments appeared. :)

I thought u were a Caucasian

jaysings

Quote from: "Obvious Li"well you can do what i do.....tell them to "fuck off".....if they do you've proved your point..if they don't it gives you another opportunity to insult the dumb fucks.....cheers

I expected there will be an idiom to exactly describe that kind of situation. some like " it takes two to tango" into Chinese "一个巴掌拍不响"

Anonymous

Quote from: "jaysings"

oh, I hardly noticed that u are able to read Chinese until this of your comments appeared. :)

I think he is using Google translate jaysings..

Sorry, I cannot usually remember idioms until it is needed and then I say it without thinking about it.

Romero

Yep, I used Google Translate! 夏虫不可语冰 apparently means "not much talk of idle ice" or "summer insects can not talk of ice".

Either way, I don't know of anything like it in English.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Yep, I used Google Translate! 夏虫不可语冰 apparently means "not much talk of idle ice" or "summer insects can not talk of ice".

I can never remember descriptive expressions until it is time to use them.

:?

jaysings

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Sorry, I cannot usually remember idioms until it is needed and then I say it without thinking about it.

amazing! so far I cannot write anything down in English without thinking about it :?

Anonymous

amazing! so far I cannot write anything down in English without thinking about it :?

How long have you lived in Canada jaysings?

jaysings

Quote from: "Romero"Yep, I used Google Translate! 夏虫不可语冰 apparently means "not much talk of idle ice" or "summer insects can not talk of ice".

most examples of translation from Chinese to English are not quite right. like this translation in English, it sounds very weird to me based on the meaning of the phrase in Chinese

jaysings

10 years

Anonymous

10 years

You have been here 10 years?

:o

I thought it was much less than that jaysings.

jaysings

10 years

It has really surprised too many people from asking me about it. actually, I made English serious 3 years ago.

Anonymous

10 years

It has really surprised too many people from asking me about it. actually, I made English serious 3 years ago.

I was born in Canada jaysings, but I returned to Taiwan very soon after I was born..

I returned to Canada four years later which means I never attended school in Taiwan..

Even though the Taiwanese dialect is my first language, it is not always grammatically correct because I never went to school in Taiwan..

You went to high school in Canada am I right jaysings?