Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Alec Baldwin Accidentally Shoots and Kills Crew Member on Movie Set

Started by Oliver Clotheshoffe, October 21, 2021, 11:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

A lot of armchair experts here...  :laugh3: No offense...The revolver in question was a Colt M1873 single action revolver. Depending upon the year of manufacturer the discharge could have very well been accidental. Before 1999 the Colt M1873 had no safety transfer bar system which means it was dangerous to carry the gun hammer down on live round. Depending upon the condition of the revolver the slightest jar of the hammer could have set off a round.

Before single action revolvers were equipped with transfer bar safeties which block the hammer from comming in contact with a chambered round until it is fully cocked, it was standard practice to carry a single action revolver with the hammer down on an EMPTY chamber, essentially turning a 6-shooter into a 5-shooter. That way you did shoot your foot off while holstering the weapon. Anyone who has seen the original movie "True Grit" should be aware of this.

Depending upon the date of manufacture of the weapon and the maintained condition of the weapon, Baldwin could indeed be telling the truth... I'm pretty sure a prop weapon is probably not the best maintained weapon and dirt and crud from repeated firings could easily have become lodged between the hammer, firing pin and the live round which is an common recipe for an accidental discharge with an older single action Colt... Other manufacturers of single action revolvers such as Ruger, have had transfer bar safeties since the 1980s or earlier.

Now I'm no Alec Baldwin fan as I think he is a complete asshat but in this case he might be right and I will hold judgement until all the facts come out... That being said I still find it disconcerting that live rounds were on the set in the first place and even more troubling is the fact that the supposed film's armorer mistook live rounds for blanks.. :nea: . That's just inexcusable.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Odinson

Quote from: Renee post_id=429087 time=1638467500 user_id=156
A lot of armchair experts here...  :laugh3: No offense...The revolver in question was a Colt M1873 single action revolver. Depending upon the year of manufacturer the discharge could have very well been accidental. Before 1999 the Colt M1873 had no safety transfer bar system which means it was dangerous to carry the gun hammer down on live round. Depending upon the condition of the revolver the slightest jar of the hammer could have set off a round.

Before single action revolvers were equipped with transfer bar safeties which block the hammer from comming in contact with a chambered round until it is fully cocked, it was standard practice to carry a single action revolver with the hammer down on an EMPTY chamber, essentially turning a 6-shooter into a 5-shooter. That way you did shoot your foot off while holstering the weapon. Anyone who has seen the original movie "True Grit" should be aware of this.

Depending upon the date of manufacture of the weapon and the maintained condition of the weapon, Baldwin could indeed be telling the truth... I'm pretty sure a prop weapon is probably not the best maintained weapon and dirt and crud from repeated firings could easily have become lodged between the hammer, firing pin and the live round which is an common recipe for an accidental discharge with an older single action Colt... Other manufacturers of single action revolvers such as Ruger, have had transfer bar safeties since the 1980s or earlier.

Now I'm no Alec Baldwin fan as I think he is a complete asshat but in this case he might be right and I will hold judgement until all the facts come out... That being said I still find it disconcerting that live rounds were on the set in the first place and even more troubling is the fact that the supposed film's armorer mistook live rounds for blanks.. :nea: . That's just inexcusable.

The initial reports say that he was aiming at the camera and then the gun went off.

The gun was in his extended hand and it went off.

What caused the pin to strike the primer?

The local Sheriff says that Alec Baldwins story doesnt add up.

Bricktop

An interview on Fox appears to corroborate Renee's version. The pistol was a single action revolver with the inherent flaws that particular design contained. If I understand correctly as Renee explains, the hammer on early design single action pistol actually rests on a live cartridge and the gun can discharge accidentally by being dropped, or struck, or mishandled.

The expert on Fox explained that an accidental discharge without pulling the trigger is quite feasible.

Of course, none of that explains the very serious and inexplicable lapses of standard firearm safety answers the questions as to who the fuck would bring live ammunition onto a movie set. That is an act of madness that would be hard to explain as incidental.

Renee

Quote from: Odinson post_id=429114 time=1638490394 user_id=136

The initial reports say that he was aiming at the camera and then the gun went off.

The local sheriff.... Pleeeease... might as well be the local deputy dog catcher for what it's worth.. :laugh3:

For all we know his thumb or the web of his hand could have put enough pressure on the hammer to cause an accidental discharge... I have no idea what exactly happened or how the gun was handled, nor does anyone here and it seems those on the scene don't know fuck all about what happened either.

I'm not saying that is exactly what happened. What I am saying is that under the right circumstances, it can happen. So Alec Baldwin's claim of not touching the trigger is a viable statement.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Odinson

Quote from: Renee post_id=429117 time=1638494526 user_id=156

The local sheriff.... Pleeeease... might as well be the local deputy dog catcher for what it's worth.. :laugh3:

For all we know his thumb or the web of his hand could have put enough pressure on the hammer to cause an accidental discharge... I have no idea what exactly happened or how the gun was handled, nor does anyone here and it seems those on the scene don't know fuck all about what happened either.

I'm not saying that is exactly what happened. What I am saying is that under the right circumstances, it can happen. So Alec Baldwin's claim of not touching the trigger is a viable statement.

This is from the new interview.. Less than an hour ago.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/12/02/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-interview-george-stephanopoulos/8839098002/">https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertain ... 839098002/">https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/12/02/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-interview-george-stephanopoulos/8839098002/

Alec Baldwin said he cocked the gun but "didn't pull the trigger" in his first sit-down interview since the fatal shooting on the set of the movie "Rust" that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.

"I'm holding the gun where she told me to hold it," Baldwin told George Stephanopoulos in an ABC special that aired Thursday night and will stream afterward on Hulu. "In the scene (being rehearsed) I would have cocked the gun, and I said, 'Do you want to see that? And she said yes. So I take the gun and I sort of cock the gun, I'm not going to pull the trigger."

Hutchins told him to "tilt it down a little bit," he said. "I cock the gun and I go, 'Can you see that? Can you see that? Can you see that?' And I let go of the hammer of the gun and the gun goes off."

Another source:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alec-baldwin-give-his-account-fatal-rust-shooting-2021-12-02/">https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alec-b ... 021-12-02/">https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alec-baldwin-give-his-account-fatal-rust-shooting-2021-12-02/

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=429125 time=1638502588 user_id=136

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/12/02/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-interview-george-stephanopoulos/8839098002/">https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertain ... 839098002/">https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/12/02/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-interview-george-stephanopoulos/8839098002/

Alec Baldwin said he cocked the gun but "didn't pull the trigger" in his first sit-down interview since the fatal shooting on the set of the movie "Rust" that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.

"I'm holding the gun where she told me to hold it," Baldwin told George Stephanopoulos in an ABC special that aired Thursday night and will stream afterward on Hulu. "In the scene (being rehearsed) I would have cocked the gun, and I said, 'Do you want to see that? And she said yes. So I take the gun and I sort of cock the gun, I'm not going to pull the trigger."

Hutchins told him to "tilt it down a little bit," he said. "I cock the gun and I go, 'Can you see that? Can you see that? Can you see that?' And I let go of the hammer of the gun and the gun goes off."

Another source:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alec-baldwin-give-his-account-fatal-rust-shooting-2021-12-02/">https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alec-b ... 021-12-02/">https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alec-baldwin-give-his-account-fatal-rust-shooting-2021-12-02/

He doesn't want to accept responsibility.

Renee

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=429127 time=1638503953 user_id=3254

Another source:

Not necessarily....There is a mechanical explanation for what Baldwin describes and it makes perfect sense... What he described is a broken "sear". A sear is part of the trigger mechanism that engages the hammer, striker or bolt and prevents the hammer from going forward until the correct amount of pressure is placed on the trigger.

Now there are a number of ways a sear can fail. usually attributed to age, wear and tear, and improper or neglectful firearms maintenance. OR and this is total speculation,... the firearm was tampered with which along with live bullets being inexplicably on the set, would suggest something nefarious.

Again I'm not defending Alec Baldwin but what he described can happen and it will be up to firearms experts who are charged with doing the investigation to determine.

Odinson

Quote from: Renee post_id=429133 time=1638541098 user_id=156

Another source:

Not necessarily....There is a mechanical explanation for what Baldwin describes and it makes perfect sense... What he described is a broken "sear". A sear is part of the trigger mechanism that engages the hammer, striker or bolt and prevents the hammer from going forward until the correct amount of pressure is placed on the trigger.

Now there are a number of ways a sear can fail. usually attributed to age, wear and tear, and improper or neglectful firearms maintenance. OR and this is total speculation,... the firearm was tampered with which along with live bullets being inexplicably on the set, would suggest something nefarious.

Again I'm not defending Alec Baldwin but what he described can happen and it will be up to firearms experts who are charged with doing the investigation to determine.

That would explain why the hammer didnt engage at all.

In the interview he says that he pulled the hammer almost to full-cock.

There were live rounds on the set which they used for "plinking".

And the dummy rounds look exactly like live rounds.

Here is the interview.

">

Renee

Quote from: Odinson post_id=429242 time=1638589182 user_id=136

Another source:

Here is the interview.

">

Headstamp confusion is now being blamed which is bullshit.

If you want, we can discuss this more in depth where firearms talk is a welcome subject....

Anonymous

When Renee talks about firearms, it's like reading a foreign language to me.

Odinson

Quote from: Renee post_id=429282 time=1638635105 user_id=156
Quote from: Odinson post_id=429242 time=1638589182 user_id=136

Another source:

Here is the interview.

">

Headstamp confusion is now being blamed which is bullshit.

If you want, we can discuss this more in depth where firearms talk is a welcome subject....

Confusion... Well otherwise they would be handing out 1st degree murder charges instead of manslaughter charges.  ac_biggrin

The dummy rounds have punched primers... So they appear to be empty rounds in the cylinder.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=429246 time=1638590860 user_id=2015
Does anyone believe Alec Baldwin?

I don't.

Frood

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=429246 time=1638590860 user_id=2015
Does anyone believe Alec Baldwin?

I believe he's a spineless pussy who handballs the blame for his numerous instances of utter stupidity?
Blahhhhhh...