Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

A

Edmonton Radio Station Asks If Rape Victims Partly Responsib

Started by Anonymous, April 11, 2014, 12:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

I don't agree that there are social issues that shouldn't be discussed.  Why can't we have dialogues about issues like rape without fear of consequence.  I hate that this station cut and run.  It makes me feel like anyone with a valid discussion point is a damn pussy who has no conviction to stand up for free speech.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I don't agree that there are social issues that shouldn't be discussed.  Why can't we have dialogues about issues like rape without fear of consequence.  I hate that this station cut and run.  It makes me feel like anyone with a valid discussion point is a damn pussy who has no conviction to stand up for free speech.

It is the way is RW. I have to be honest though, if I heard a guy say a woman was asking for it, I would cringe or kick him in the nads. I'm pretty open to most free speech, but that really sickens me.

Renee

Quote from: "Real Woman"
Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Shen Li"
I know there are Neanderthals that STILL blame women when they are victims of rape. I find it so incredibly offensive and it seems like a fair number of Edmontonians feel the same.

It's a good thing I don't listen to CHED 630 because I would be boycotting the insensitive pricks.

Shen if you walk down the street in a bad neighborhood, half naked and stoned off your ass and then get assaulted; don't you feel that you should share a wee bit of personal responsibility for what happens?  I'm not saying it's right if you get assaulted or that you deserve it but when you do something stupid isn't it your own fault if it turns bad?

You know you do have to be aware that there are some real scumbags out there and you do have to take responsibility for protecting yourself from them. No one else is going to do it for you.

I think it's time that we stop with the "no one has the right to rape you" spiel and start talking about how to reduce victimization / protect yourself better.  In the current climate it seems we can't have THAT discussion because some moron will consider it to be blaming the victim.  The thing is, if you don't get victimized, there is no victim!

I agree 100%. There is no getting around the fact that some women (not all) get raped because they are stupid and don't take the possibility of assault seriously.  It's way past time we had a public discussion about how to keep yourself safe and how to avoid bad situations. It's all based in common sense so what is to fear?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Well apparently Renee, we can't open the dialogue to identifying ignorance never mind talking about how to fix it.

As for me Shen, I'd rather find out why he thinks that way then look into the appropriate way of curbing such stupidity.  That doesn't discount a kick to the nuts either.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

I think it's offensive because it shouldn't have to be questioned. It's assuming there's a possibility victims of sexual assault may be somehow to blame.

"It's very controversial but do you think victims of murder share any blame for what happens?"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"I think it's offensive because it shouldn't have to be questioned. It's assuming there's a possibility victims of sexual assault may be somehow to blame.

"It's very controversial but do you think victims of murder share any blame for what happens?"

I'm with Romero on this one. I don't like this blaming the victim thing. Don't get me wrong RW and Renee, I believe the best way to protect oneself is a good defense. However, if a woman who may happen to be shitfaced at the time does get raped, that should never be a mitigating circumstance for the accused when it comes time for sentencing.

Renee

Quote from: "Romero"I think it's offensive because it shouldn't have to be questioned. It's assuming there's a possibility victims of sexual assault may be somehow to blame.

Yes, sometimes they do. Mess around with the wrong individual and you might end up dead. Not everyone who is murdered in this world is an innocent bystander.

Same goes for rape victims; sometimes they can put themselves into a situation where the odds of being assaulted increase dramatically. It doesn't happen in every case but it does happen.

Look at it this way, a girl goes to a party full of college age guys who are full of bravado and beer; she proceeds to get shit faced, piss drunk and passes out. She wakes up with her little cotton panties in bunch on the floor and an abused crotch. Now ask yourself how stupid was she and could she have handled that situation better? Is she responsible for her own stupid behavior or is her stupidity someone else's problem?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Renee

I'm with Romero on this one. I don't like this blaming the victim thing. Don't get me wrong RW and Renee, I believe the best way to protect oneself is a good defense. However, if a woman who may happen to be shitfaced at the time does get raped, that should never be a mitigating circumstance for the accused when it comes time for sentencing.

Not saying it should be a "mitigating circumstance" or some kind of defense. But it is a personal responsibility issue and you can't get around that fact. In certain circumstances your conduct, behavior and judgment is vitally important to your safety.

Anonymous

Yes, sometimes they do. Mess around with the wrong individual and you might end up dead. Not everyone who is murdered in this world is an innocent bystander.

Same goes for rape victims; sometimes they can put themselves into a situation where the odds of being assaulted increase dramatically. It doesn't happen in every case but it does happen.

Look at it this way, a girl goes to a party full of college age guys who are full of bravado and beer; she proceeds to get shit faced, piss drunk and passes out. She wakes up with her little cotton panties in bunch on the floor and an abused crotch. Now ask yourself how stupid was she and could she have handled that situation better? Is she responsible for her own stupid behavior or is her stupidity someone else's problem?

A person buys a liquor store in a neighbourhood with a notoriously high crime rate. A crime rate so high he/she can barely afford the insurance. One night a couple of thugs walk in, shoot him/her and take cash and booze. Should the two accused get a lighter sentence simply because the liquor store owner bought a shop in an area where the odds of being robbed/killed increase dramatically?

Obvious Li

Renee

A person buys a liquor store in a neighbourhood with a notoriously high crime rate. A crime rate so high he/she can barely afford the insurance. One night a couple of thugs walk in, shoot him/her and take cash and booze. Should the two accused get a lighter sentence simply because the liquor store owner bought a shop in an area where the odds of being robbed/killed increase dramatically?

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm not talking about sentencing or right or wrong. I'm talking about personal responsibility. If the shop owner can't afford to set up shop somewhere safer but they are aware of the danger and take the proper steps to minimize that danger then they did everything right to the best of their ability. There is no fault of blame to be attached there.

But if say they didn't have a security system, camera, means of calling the police on the premises, possibly a firearm etc. then I would say they were asking for trouble and were negligent of their own safety as well as the safety of the customers and employees. You can't go thru life with your head in your ass; although a lot of people do.

Now should a killer get a lighter sentence because of the shop owner's negligence; No because the killer broke the law and needs to be punished accordingly.  That's a separate issue.

Romero

Quote from: "Renee"Same goes for rape victims; sometimes they can put themselves into a situation where the odds of being assaulted increase dramatically. It doesn't happen in every case but it does happen.

How many rape victims are assaulted because they're too drunk or in a bad neighbourhood late at night? Maybe a few percent at the most?

The majority of rape victims are assaulted by someone they know. The question is asking if the average rape victim somehow deserves it, which is quite offensive.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"i guess i better stay outta this one........

Speak your mind man, we wanna know.

Anonymous

Renee,

My parents always told me to be smart and don't make a criminal's job easy for them. I'm sure your parents also told you to stay away from danger whenever possible. You probably have had this conversation with your daughters.

However, a victim is a victim is a victim. If, gawd forbid something happened to one of your daughters, you too would be offended if while driving to the office you heard a poll question like the one CHED did.

Renee

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Renee"Same goes for rape victims; sometimes they can put themselves into a situation where the odds of being assaulted increase dramatically. It doesn't happen in every case but it does happen.

How many rape victims are assaulted because they're too drunk or in a bad neighbourhood late at night? Maybe a few percent at the most?

The majority of rape victims are assaulted by someone they know. The question is asking if the average rape victim somehow deserves it, which is quite offensive.

Percentages are not the issue.

Besides drunken party rape for lack of a better name happens more than you know. Most cases go unreported because of fear, stigma and embarrassment. No girl wants to be known as the drunk chick who gets gang raped at parties.