Replies: 10401
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

A

Edmonton Radio Station Asks If Rape Victims Partly Responsib

Started by Anonymous, April 11, 2014, 12:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

ghost

Quote from: "Renee"

Percentages are not the issue.

Besides drunken party rape for lack of a better name happens more than you know. Most cases go unreported because of fear, stigma and embarrassment. No girl wants to be known as the drunk chick who gets gang raped at parties.

I was a drunk girl who got raped at a party.

I was 17 and a virgin. Was I being stupid? I was with friends who I thought I trusted. I didn't actually drink that much. I was with female friends, one of which was a designated driver.

Sometimes personal responsibility can only take someone so far. Yes, I've always been careful. Sadly, sometimes careful isn't enough.

I think what bothers me the most is that we constantly talk about women's personal responsibility. What about the male responsibility? Why is it that we teach girls to be careful, constantly point out what sort of things can happen to them if they dress bad, get drunk, etc..etc.. Where's the lessons being taught to the boys not to rape? Instead they get the whole 'boys will be boys' speech.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "ghost"

Besides drunken party rape for lack of a better name happens more than you know. Most cases go unreported because of fear, stigma and embarrassment. No girl wants to be known as the drunk chick who gets gang raped at parties.

I was 17 and a virgin. Was I being stupid? I was with friends who I thought I trusted. I didn't actually drink that much. I was with female friends, one of which was a designated driver.

Sometimes personal responsibility can only take someone so far. Yes, I've always been careful. Sadly, sometimes careful isn't enough.

I think what bothers me the most is that we constantly talk about women's personal responsibility. What about the male responsibility? Why is it that we teach girls to be careful, constantly point out what sort of things can happen to them if they dress bad, get drunk, etc..etc.. Where's the lessons being taught to the boys not to rape? Instead they get the whole 'boys will be boys' speech.

in my world you will not get the boys will be boys speech......i consider rape (actual rape) a capital crime and it should be treated as such....unfortunately today,  we have somehow become immune to the myriad of charges under the general category of "sexual assault" that covers everything from leering to actual force-able rape..........and no one even knows what rape is any more......and yes of course the men should be held responsible... after all, it is them perpetrating the crime.....unfortunately i agree, it doesn't always work that way...i am sorry to hear of your experience...as a man there is nothing more despicable to me than another man who picks on someone weaker, physically or sexually...... :ugeek:

Obvious Li

sorry ghost i' m not satisfied with my answer to your post....it doesn't convey my feelings regarding how i feel about what you posted......i am both saddened and depressed by the quality of a large percentage of young men i meet today...there seems to be no acknowledgement of a need for self discipline, self control, respect for others, protection of the weak and disadvantaged and on and on.......most are good, but many see an opportunity (i give you the vancouver riots) and the badder angels take control...it does not help that modern music and culture treats women as ho's and bitches.....i know i am rambling but there is nothing more devastating than an assault on your person that leaves you feeling helpless and hopeless......it really bothers me... as parents we owe it to our children to teach them respect for others and as old fashioned as it sounds especially for women.

RW

I am sorry that happened to you ghost.  That's a terrible thing for any girl or woman to have to go through.

Personal responsibility can only go so far.  My concern is the message that no personal responsibility is required because rape just shouldn't happen.  It shouldn't happen but it does, especially to young women out on dates or at parties.  Anything we can do to protect ourselves as women should bare consideration.

As for boys shouldn't rape, of course they shouldn't!  Sexual health taught in school now addresses personal responsibility of young men including their responsibility to not rape women.  I will never consider "boys will be boys" as a reasoning for sexual assault.
Beware of Gaslighters!

ghost

That's the thing tho, young men aren't being taught not to rape. In fact, there have been many recent cases that have shown pity on rapists and slutshaming on the victim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/poppy-harlow-cnn-steubenville-rape-coverage-criticism_n_2914853.html">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/2 ... 14853.html">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/poppy-harlow-cnn-steubenville-rape-coverage-criticism_n_2914853.html

http://jezebel.com/fox-news-guest-says-maryville-teen-didnt-deserve-to-be-1447526931">http://jezebel.com/fox-news-guest-says- ... 1447526931">http://jezebel.com/fox-news-guest-says-maryville-teen-didnt-deserve-to-be-1447526931

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/09/rehtaeh-parsons-suicide-bullying-rape_n_3044885.html">http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/09 ... 44885.html">http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/09/rehtaeh-parsons-suicide-bullying-rape_n_3044885.html

These things make me angry. I agree that young women do need to protect themselves. But at the same time, all this slutshaming isn't okay either. Boys are being taught it's okay as long as they don't get caught. You can argue that young men are being taught personal responsibility, but the message is mixed.

ghost

Quote from: "Obvious Li"sorry ghost i' m not satisfied with my answer to your post....it doesn't convey my feelings regarding how i feel about what you posted......i am both saddened and depressed by the quality of a large percentage of young men i meet today...there seems to be no acknowledgement of a need for self discipline, self control, respect for others, protection of the weak and disadvantaged and on and on.......most are good, but many see an opportunity (i give you the vancouver riots) and the badder angels take control...it does not help that modern music and culture treats women as ho's and bitches.....i know i am rambling but there is nothing more devastating than an assault on your person that leaves you feeling helpless and hopeless......it really bothers me... as parents we owe it to our children to teach them respect for others and as old fashioned as it sounds especially for women.

Totally agree with you.

One great thing about the Vancouver riots, it showed just how stupid the younger generation has become. "I stole a purse. I'm going to post it on Facebook! Wait. Why am I getting arrested?"

RW

That further supports my point about a need for dialogue on this issue.  We can't shy away from talking about a social issue of this importance.

The changes to the education system are fairly new.  This generation seems to be lacking in positive male role models.  The family unit isn't what it used to be nor is parental guidance.  But this issue isn't new.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Oh my goodness ghost, how horrible.

:(

keeper

I can sum this up simple like.

Bring back the harsher Penalties to 3 Province. (test how it does for 5 years)

Categorize it in to 3 laws. We will call it- "Keepers Law"

Keepers First Law]Keepers Second Law[/color]: Minimal Crimes..Mugging, Assault , domestic violence, child abuse.. etc -: $5000.00 fine - you dont pay , 10 to 30 random people get to whip you (1 slash each), you get to pick out of 3 whips made of various materials. The number of how many people will depend on the severity of the crime. 11 Random people to insure the crime suits the severity.

Keepers Third Law: Severe Crimes..Murder,Rape, hit and run causing death, Child Molesters.. etc- : Death- no questions asked - 11 Random people to decide your fait, this is to insure the crime is justified for the death penalty.

No Prisons, no Death row. No Muss No Fuss (of course the laws will need a small bit of work)

I will %100 percent guarantee that in my Province people will think twice before they pull out there dick to rape someone, or get behind the wheel to drive home.

I should be President FFS.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"I can sum this up simple like.

Bring back the harsher Penalties to 3 Province. (test how it does for 5 years)

Categorize it in to 3 laws. We will call it- "Keepers Law"

Keepers First Law]Keepers Second Law[/color]: Minimal Crimes..Mugging, Assault , domestic violence, child abuse.. etc -: $5000.00 fine - you dont pay , 10 to 30 random people get to whip you (1 slash each), you get to pick out of 3 whips made of various materials. The number of how many people will depend on the severity of the crime. 11 Random people to insure the crime suits the severity.

Keepers Third Law]
I don't view domestic violence or child abuse as minimal crimes Keeper.

keeper

Call it what you want, The crime will fit the punishment. I could have called them Meat veg, dairy. What does it matter

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"Call it what you want, The crime will fit the punishment. I could have called them Meat veg, dairy. What does it matter

I feel family violence and child abuse is very serious.

keeper

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Keeper"Call it what you want, The crime will fit the punishment. I could have called them Meat veg, dairy. What does it matter

ummm okay, im sure alot of people feel that way. what does that have to do with Keepers Laws?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"

ummm okay, im sure alot of people feel that way. what does that have to do with Keepers Laws?

I like your new avatar Keeper..

You said domestic violence and child abuse are minimal crimes?

keeper

Quote from: "Keeper"

I like your new avatar Keeper..

You said domestic violence and child abuse are minimal crimes?

I also said you can name it what you wanted, it was a generalization, look past the name fash