Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Movies

Started by Anonymous, November 16, 2014, 09:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

@realAzhyaAryola

Another good movie I just saw, 1917.

A couple of hours of intense drama. Phew.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Another good movie I just saw, 1917.

My husband and I have seen that movie too.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Another good movie I just saw, 1917.

My husband and I have seen that movie too.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

The brother who was killed was the same actor who was the youngest son of Cersei in Game of Thrones.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Vancouver

I'm watching Twilight Eclipse on Netflix. Not sure what's the buzz on Tiger King. Its trending and everybody seem to be watching.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

My husband and I watched 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi last night..

He liked it, but I didn't.

@realAzhyaAryola

This is not a new movie but I finally saw August: Osage County about a dysfunctional family in Oklahoma starring Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts reeling from the suicide of the patriarch who was a poet played by Sam Shepard. It was good. The story was just depressing.
@realAzhyaAryola

Vancouver

Extraction on Netflix was action packed. Australian actor Chris Hemsworth is hot.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"Extraction on Netflix was action packed. Australian actor Chris Hemsworth is hot.

:ohmy:

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"Extraction on Netflix was action packed. Australian actor Chris Hemsworth is hot.

Are you gay/bisexual?

Vancouver

Watching Spidermsn far from home again. With the world that it is today it seem unreal they get to travel to all these wonderful places. Venice Italy, Prague Czech Republic, London UK, the Swiss Alps, Berlin Germany, and the Netherlands.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

A review of Planet of the Humans by Michael Moore.

https://davideganab.blogspot.com/2020/05/planet-of-humans-review.html?fbclid=IwAR3_5zrf_lE5Uvi8tDoQ4xPIoI5A76I5R0oazmPeSmrXq1FZ9Jv2hziQuNc">https://davideganab.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... Jv2hziQuNc">https://davideganab.blogspot.com/2020/05/planet-of-humans-review.html?fbclid=IwAR3_5zrf_lE5Uvi8tDoQ4xPIoI5A76I5R0oazmPeSmrXq1FZ9Jv2hziQuNc

energy storage is a real concern that we don't have a sustainable solution for.  Rare-earth metals are just that, rare, expensive, labour/energy-intensive to extract, and the batteries that they are used to produce don't last forever.  Also, much of the world's corn-based ethanol biofuel production requires large government subsidies to keep these plants operating and by some estimates, consume more energy than the energy than they produce, though the efficiency has improved over time.

Biomass power generation, IMHO the focus of the film, is a serious concern and all are not equivalent.  Many are just incinerators by a different name that, rather than just emit all of their energy/waste, generate steam and electricity as well.  Some of these are doing great things, when using a waste product like tires, plastic, pressure-treated rail ties and telephone polls, they are essentially recycling a product that would otherwise end up in landfill.  When sitting in a landfill, without considering the negative impacts of having a landfill IMBY, organic material still slowly breaks down.  This typically occurs without oxygen, which creates predominantly methane rather than CO2 (methane is 20-80x worse of a greenhouse gas than CO2).  But, this also requires a strong consideration of the emissions generated.  In plants that burn these with a traditional furnace, the potentially toxic emissions can be extremely harmful to those that live nearby.  However, the plants that use a process called gasification actually burn this waste very cleanly.  This is newer technology though that is still being refined and very costly, so its not often used.

However, the plants that use raw wood are not recycling anything, and are simply using a product that theoretically is renewable vs. coal or natural gas.  But, when you consume the wood at a higher rate than you produce it at a much lower efficiency than traditional fuels, it isn't sustainable either.

The fact that many are dismissing this film as climate denial is laughable; it doesn't once doubt climate science.  The fact that it doesn't specifically go through the details of the greenhouse effect are irrelevant; this isn't a film about climate change.

IMHO this isn't even a film that's intended to cater to those on the right, but those on the far left and it exposes a notable rift in the left, much like what exists at times on the right. Michael Moore is a social democrat and I believe the message in the movie isn't that oil and gas is okay, its that the 'solutions' offered aren't perfect either, and in some cases, just as bad.  I believe the primary message in the film is that there are far too many people in the world and the only solution is for the whole world to consume dramatically less, without really saying how.

My personal opinion, like I believe most realists is that for us to sustain the population the earth currently has and address climate change is to use less where we can, embrace technology, without being afraid to critique that which doesn't (or doesn't yet) work.  I believe fossil fuels play an important role as well, as we haven't yet discovered anything that can replace it, particularly oil that I believe will run out before we come up with anything that can completely replace it on an apples-to-apples basis.

Most credible experts expect the world to have a demand for oil in the on-going future, and as the easy-to-find/refine oil depletes, we are left with the heavy oils found in Venezuela, California, Colorado, North Dakota, and yes, Alberta.

Regardless of your political views or your views on renewable energy, I highly recommend you watch the film and come up with your own opinion.

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: Herman post_id=360556 time=1588523320 user_id=1689
A review of Planet of the Humans by Michael Moore.

https://davideganab.blogspot.com/2020/05/planet-of-humans-review.html?fbclid=IwAR3_5zrf_lE5Uvi8tDoQ4xPIoI5A76I5R0oazmPeSmrXq1FZ9Jv2hziQuNc">https://davideganab.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... Jv2hziQuNc">https://davideganab.blogspot.com/2020/05/planet-of-humans-review.html?fbclid=IwAR3_5zrf_lE5Uvi8tDoQ4xPIoI5A76I5R0oazmPeSmrXq1FZ9Jv2hziQuNc

energy storage is a real concern that we don't have a sustainable solution for.  Rare-earth metals are just that, rare, expensive, labour/energy-intensive to extract, and the batteries that they are used to produce don't last forever.  Also, much of the world's corn-based ethanol biofuel production requires large government subsidies to keep these plants operating and by some estimates, consume more energy than the energy than they produce, though the efficiency has improved over time.

Biomass power generation, IMHO the focus of the film, is a serious concern and all are not equivalent.  Many are just incinerators by a different name that, rather than just emit all of their energy/waste, generate steam and electricity as well.  Some of these are doing great things, when using a waste product like tires, plastic, pressure-treated rail ties and telephone polls, they are essentially recycling a product that would otherwise end up in landfill.  When sitting in a landfill, without considering the negative impacts of having a landfill IMBY, organic material still slowly breaks down.  This typically occurs without oxygen, which creates predominantly methane rather than CO2 (methane is 20-80x worse of a greenhouse gas than CO2).  But, this also requires a strong consideration of the emissions generated.  In plants that burn these with a traditional furnace, the potentially toxic emissions can be extremely harmful to those that live nearby.  However, the plants that use a process called gasification actually burn this waste very cleanly.  This is newer technology though that is still being refined and very costly, so its not often used.

However, the plants that use raw wood are not recycling anything, and are simply using a product that theoretically is renewable vs. coal or natural gas.  But, when you consume the wood at a higher rate than you produce it at a much lower efficiency than traditional fuels, it isn't sustainable either.

The fact that many are dismissing this film as climate denial is laughable; it doesn't once doubt climate science.  The fact that it doesn't specifically go through the details of the greenhouse effect are irrelevant; this isn't a film about climate change.

IMHO this isn't even a film that's intended to cater to those on the right, but those on the far left and it exposes a notable rift in the left, much like what exists at times on the right. Michael Moore is a social democrat and I believe the message in the movie isn't that oil and gas is okay, its that the 'solutions' offered aren't perfect either, and in some cases, just as bad.  I believe the primary message in the film is that there are far too many people in the world and the only solution is for the whole world to consume dramatically less, without really saying how.

My personal opinion, like I believe most realists is that for us to sustain the population the earth currently has and address climate change is to use less where we can, embrace technology, without being afraid to critique that which doesn't (or doesn't yet) work.  I believe fossil fuels play an important role as well, as we haven't yet discovered anything that can replace it, particularly oil that I believe will run out before we come up with anything that can completely replace it on an apples-to-apples basis.

Most credible experts expect the world to have a demand for oil in the on-going future, and as the easy-to-find/refine oil depletes, we are left with the heavy oils found in Venezuela, California, Colorado, North Dakota, and yes, Alberta.

Regardless of your political views or your views on renewable energy, I highly recommend you watch the film and come up with your own opinion.

Interesting. I'll check it out when I come across this movie.
@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

Extraction was good.

The Meg was good.
@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

Do not watch The Lodgers. It was just too creepy..
@realAzhyaAryola

Anonymous

Jurassic Park and Jaws are box office hits again.