Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

When to put her down

Started by Annie, December 30, 2014, 01:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annie

We have a dilemma regarding when to put an old cat down. Our female calico, she's 18 years old, deaf and is having kidney function problems. She can't hold her pee, she'll pee right where she's sleeping many times. We had a family vote and we are not all on board with putting her down. Our daughter says yes, hubby is undecided, son says no and I'm undecided. So I thought we'll give her a couple weeks of being on cranberry powder in her food and see if she recovers. It worked in the past when she was leaking.  She also poops under my daughter's bed but hasn't since we put boxes under so she cant . I'm also going to try a different littler box for her and different litter (maybe paper pellets) Last year she had a stroke and half her face sags a little, she's lost a few teeth so she eats mainly soft food now. She also cries and howls when she thinks she's alone.  ac_crying

I'm really torn, she's such a sweetheart of a cat, she loves attention and she's adorable. She's not in any pain so she isn't suffering.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"We have a dilemma regarding when to put an old cat down. Our female calico, she's 18 years old, deaf and is having kidney function problems. She can't hold her pee, she'll pee right where she's sleeping many times. We had a family vote and we are not all on board with putting her down. Our daughter says yes, hubby is undecided, son says no and I'm undecided. So I thought we'll give her a couple weeks of being on cranberry powder in her food and see if she recovers. It worked in the past when she was leaking.  She also poops under my daughter's bed but hasn't since we put boxes under so she cant . I'm also going to try a different littler box for her and different litter (maybe paper pellets) Last year she had a stroke and half her face sags a little, she's lost a few teeth so she eats mainly soft food now. She also cries and howls when she thinks she's alone.  ac_crying

I'm really torn, she's such a sweetheart of a cat, she loves attention and she's adorable. She's not in any pain so she isn't suffering.

This is an unfortunate situation to be in Annie..

It is one anyone who has any aging pet had had to confront..

I won't offer any advice because it is not my pet that I have had for eighteen years..

Any decision your family makes will not be easy.

Annie

It's a hard decision to make for sure and I don't want to rush into it but I can tell she's not enjoying life like she should be. She sleeps almost all day and cries at night, that can't be good for her happiness. She won't play and gets a little snippy all of a sudden (kitty alzheimers). She's a tiny cat and we clip her nails regularly so she can't even hurt a fly. I've been seriously thinking about it for awhile. But I have to have my family on board before I go ahead. So in two weeks I'll take another vote, I guess :(
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"It's a hard decision to make for sure and I don't want to rush into it but I can tell she's not enjoying life like she should be. She sleeps almost all day and cries at night, that can't be good for her happiness. She won't play and gets a little snippy all of a sudden (kitty alzheimers). She's a tiny cat and we clip her nails regularly so she can't even hurt a fly. I've been seriously thinking about it for awhile. But I have to have my family on board before I go ahead. So in two weeks I'll take another vote, I guess :(

Watching a beloved pet suffer is hard I know especially when you know she will never get better.

ac_crying

Annie

Ya, I have a strong feeling she at her time, I have to convince the men in the family that it's time to let go.  I might just take all of us to the vet and see what they say and if they recommend putting her down then it won't be just my decision but a vet too. I don't want my son hating me for putting down his very first pet.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"Ya, I have a strong feeling she at her time, I have to convince the men in the family that it's time to let go.  I might just take all of us to the vet and see what they say and if they recommend putting her down then it won't be just my decision but a vet too. I don't want my son hating me for putting down his very first pet.

It won't be hate Annie..

He is naturally sad that his kitty cat is near the end of her life..

Your son may be having a hard time accepting that.

Annie

He's 22 and we've had her since he convinced me to rescue her when he was 5 (she was 9 months).  He was the only one for the longest time she trusted let hold her, so ya I'll have to have a talk with him.

Annie

Now I have to go have a cry  ac_crying

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"Now I have to go have a cry  ac_crying

I completely understand Annie.

Frost

Sorry Annie, I always hate hearing this about our furry family members.

The big question is is she suffering, if not, and you can deal with the mess let her be, if so please consider her over you all.

Sorry again, I know it hurts. :(

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blue"Sorry Annie, I always hate hearing this about our furry family members.

The big question is is she suffering, if not, and you can deal with the mess let her be, if so please consider her over you all.

Sorry again, I know it hurts. :(

Do you have any pets Frosty?

Frost

Hey :) good morning

Not anymore, I have had a few dogs in my life, but not don't need that pain anymore of watching them go.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blue"Hey :) good morning

Not anymore, I have had a few dogs in my life, but not don't need that pain anymore of watching them go.

Ah, I see. My bunny is still kicking, but who knows for how much longer.

Hey, any plans for tomorrow night?

Frost

No plans here, just do as I always do :)

Looking forward to 2015 though, how about you ?

Long live Bunny :)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blue"No plans here, just do as I always do :)

Looking forward to 2015 though, how about you ?

Long live Bunny :)

Nah, no plans for me either. Chinese New Year is the big one for me not the Gregorian one.

On one hand I look forward to the New Year and on the other, I worry about it too. I guess I'm like everyone else in that way.