Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Indiana governor backs down on pro-discrimination law

Started by Gay Boy Roberto, March 31, 2015, 01:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Renee"
I was hoping for two more, including a week at my Auntie's in Singapore.

BTW Keeps, she's single and likes white guys.

At least your grandmother got to see her great grandchild which is really cool and I'm sure she was thrilled.

I can't even describe the feelings of pride and happiness with the 4 generations together. I am so glad gram was still healthy enough to truly enjoy it all. JUST AMAZING!!

I can only imagine. That's the kind of stuff that makes life worth living. Those memories will stay with you forever. I hate to sound all mushy and corny but stuff like this makes me all teary.

Okay, how did the little one do on the plane? Any issues, any disasters, any parenting fun?  ac_toofunny
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

At least your grandmother got to see her great grandchild which is really cool and I'm sure she was thrilled.

I can't even describe the feelings of pride and happiness with the 4 generations together. I am so glad gram was still healthy enough to truly enjoy it all. JUST AMAZING!!

I can only imagine. That's the kind of stuff that makes life worth living. Those memories will stay with you forever. I hate to sound all mushy and corny but stuff like this makes me all teary.

Okay, how did the little one do on the plane? Any issues, any disasters, any parenting fun?  ac_toofunny

He was cranky on the first leg of the journey to the coast. Settled down a little bit waiting for our flight to HK and then started again when we boarded the plane. However, once we hit cruising altitude he went to sleep. Thank gawd there was little turbulence. On the way back, he was all smiles and had flight attendants and other women on the plane fawning over him. I think he is going to be popular with the opposite sex someday. ac_cool

Renee

He was cranky on the first leg of the journey to the coast. Settled down a little bit waiting for our flight to HK and then started again when we boarded the plane. However, once we hit cruising altitude he went to sleep. Thank gawd there was little turbulence. On the way back, he was all smiles and had flight attendants and other women on the plane fawning over him. I think he is going to be popular with the opposite sex someday. ac_cool

You know what works really good on cranky/fussy kids while on a plane? Give then a little children's Benadryl. It's not going to hurt them and it helps put them out for a while.  ac_toofunny

BTW, I have no doubt he will be popular with the girls. He's probably a looker like his mom.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Romero

Quote from: "Renee"The law as it read only gave those companies that wanted to discriminate and an excuse to do so. The majority of companies couldn't actually give a shit. No sighs of relief were necessary much less heard.

Apparently you don't know what's been going on. The majority of companies have given a shit. Many of the largest companies in the country. The Indiana Chamber of Commerce has given a shit.

It's why the governor has backed down. Why do you think the governor backed down?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Renee"The law as it read only gave those companies that wanted to discriminate and an excuse to do so. The majority of companies couldn't actually give a shit. No sighs of relief were necessary much less heard.

Apparently you don't know what's been going on. The majority of companies have given a shit. Many of the largest companies in the country. The Indiana Chamber of Commerce has given a shit.

It's why the governor has backed down. Why do you think the governor backed down?

Again politics, it doesn't affect biz one way or the other. The only businesses that would deny service to any customer would be some tiny mom and pop outpost whose bottom line is not the bottom line. Legitimate enterprise does not work that way.

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"Again politics, it doesn't affect biz one way or the other. The only businesses that would deny service to any customer would be some tiny mom and pop outpost whose bottom line is not the bottom line. Legitimate enterprise does not work that way.

There were going to be boycotts by major businesses and other states and cities. The governor backed down under the threat of losing business.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"There were going to be boycotts by major businesses and other states and cities. The governor backed down under the threat of losing business.

Your proving my point, it's politics. Legitimate enterprise does not turn away customers. The law, one way or another would have made little difference to how daily business is carried out. Bob would not be affected even if he was a real homo.

Both sides are guilty of wasting taxpayer time and money.

Romero

Of course it's about politics. And what's right. I'm just saying Renee is wrong claiming the majority of companies couldn't actually give a shit. They've spoken out loud and clear and the governor has backed down.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"Again politics, it doesn't affect biz one way or the other. The only businesses that would deny service to any customer would be some tiny mom and pop outpost whose bottom line is not the bottom line. Legitimate enterprise does not work that way.

There were going to be boycotts by major businesses and other states and cities. The governor backed down under the threat of losing business.

No there weren't. All the noise was on the far left of the political spectrum which accounts for next to nothing in the corporate world. Indiana is not loony left Kalifornia. Other companies have taken similar stances like "chick fil a" and their profits are currently higher than they have ever been.

It would probably be and interesting experiment to give you and GBB small pile of dirt and see how long it takes for you two to build a mountain range.  ac_toofunny

ghost

Again politics, it doesn't affect biz one way or the other. The only businesses that would deny service to any customer would be some tiny mom and pop outpost whose bottom line is not the bottom line. Legitimate enterprise does not work that way.

Actually in this case, it did. Within days, dozens of businesses threatened to boycott Indiana unless the bill was overturned.

With the boycott in effect, billions of dollars would be lost in revenue.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1964494/angies-list-latest-company-threatening-to-boycott-indiana/">http://www.inquisitr.com/1964494/angies ... t-indiana/">http://www.inquisitr.com/1964494/angies-list-latest-company-threatening-to-boycott-indiana/

It also worked in Arizona. The Superbowl threatened to change their venue to another state if the government passed the law. Needless to say, the law didn't go through.

Romero

Romero

Quote from: "Romero"There were going to be boycotts by major businesses and other states and cities. The governor backed down under the threat of losing business.

No there weren't.

Uh huh. They only said they were, but apparently you've been listening in on their board meetings.

And the governor hasn't backed down!

Renee

The only reason Angie's List is jumping on this is because it's an opportunity to extort ass load of tax incentives out of the state for their Indiana expansion. Let's call it what it is shall we; it's politics as usual. It's a big game and it simply more expedient for the Governor to amend the legislation rather than pay out a bunch of tax breaks.

"Oesterle funded the campaign of the man who made this law happen, and now he wants to claim he's shocked. I call bullshit."

"If you take Oesterle, and Angie's List, at face value jumping on the #boycottIndiana campaign is an act of courage, but if you have the background that seems unlikely.

"Oesterle's statement that Angie's List would halt their expansion came out at 11:33 AM EDT. Angie's List has been pressing for tax breaks to fund the company's expansion for several months now.  The measure has bounced back and forth from committee to the full city-county council. News came out today at 12:33 PM EDT that the council has finally decided to move ahead with the $18.5 million tax break proposal."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/03/28/1374041/-Bill-Oesterle-Angie-s-List-CEO-is-a-Huge-Hypocrite">http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/03/2 ... -Hypocrite">http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/03/28/1374041/-Bill-Oesterle-Angie-s-List-CEO-is-a-Huge-Hypocrite#

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Of course it's about politics. And what's right. I'm just saying Renee is wrong claiming the majority of companies couldn't actually give a shit. They've spoken out loud and clear and the governor has backed down.

She's right, the law itself does not affect them. They will continue to do what is best for the long term interests of their enterprise. They are not going to stop serving customers for being gay, Mormon or anything else even if they were allowed because it MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. People wasting time and money on boycotts can't seem to get that through their thick fucking skulls.

ghost

Quote from: "Romero"Of course it's about politics. And what's right. I'm just saying Renee is wrong claiming the majority of companies couldn't actually give a shit. They've spoken out loud and clear and the governor has backed down.

She's right, the law itself does not affect them. They will continue to do what is best for the long term interests of their enterprise. They are not going to stop serving customers for being gay, Mormon or anything else even if they were allowed because it MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. People wasting time and money on boycotts can't seem to get that through their thick fucking skulls.

There have been a few idiots who have. But I do agree, the majority of businesses know better than to discriminate. But then again, this is America and there are a lot of religious whack jobs who really do freak out about these things. Look at Westboro.

And then there's this coward. Brags about how he secretly refused gays in his restaurant but refused to give the name when called out on it.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/indiana-restaurant-owner-admits-to-discriminating-against-gays-on-radio/">http://www.mediaite.com/online/indiana- ... -on-radio/">http://www.mediaite.com/online/indiana-restaurant-owner-admits-to-discriminating-against-gays-on-radio/