Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Kangaroo Court

Started by RW, April 20, 2015, 07:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"They say alcoholism is genetic.

I'd better start drinking then.  ac_wot

RW

No everyone has the gene eh?
Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

I think most people self-medicate to deal with anxiety and/or depression. If you take those away then you're just left with the addiction.

Anonymous

Some people should avoid alcoholic beverages more than others.

Renee

Only about 40-50% of people with addiction issues have the gene that puts them at risk for substance abuse and even if they do, environmental factors still play a huge part. People using genetics as an excuse to get fucked up are just avoiding personal responsibility. Sorry Mel, but that is the simple truth.

Unfortunately many of us are looking for some kind of crutch to enable our inner demons. One of the unfortunate personal and social side effects of our mapping of the human genome has been the convenient excuse that genetics can now be used to explain many of our personal character flaws. While it is true that genetics does provide the frame work for many of our bad habits it is only one piece of the puzzle. As with everything in life it is our acceptance of personal responsibility that truly controls our behavior and the life decisions that we make.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Only about 40-50% of people with addiction issues have the gene that puts them at risk for substance abuse and even if they do, environmental factors still play a huge part. People using genetics as an excuse to get fucked up are just avoiding personal responsibility. Sorry Mel, but that is the simple truth.

Unfortunately many of us are looking for some kind of crutch to enable our inner demons. One of the unfortunate personal and social side effects of our mapping of the human genome has been the convenient excuse that genetics can now be used to explain many of our personal character flaws. While it is true that genetics does provide the frame work for many of our bad habits it is only one piece of the puzzle. As with everything in life it is our acceptance of personal responsibility that truly controls our behavior and the life decisions that we make.

Renee, if one knows that genetically they are more likely to have a problem with alcohol, don't you think those individuals should avoid it more than people that do not.

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Renee"Only about 40-50% of people with addiction issues have the gene that puts them at risk for substance abuse and even if they do, environmental factors still play a huge part. People using genetics as an excuse to get fucked up are just avoiding personal responsibility. Sorry Mel, but that is the simple truth.

Renee, if one knows that genetically they are more likely to have a problem with alcohol, don't you think those individuals should avoid it more than people that do not.

I say it depends on the individual. For those that cannot control themselves and limit their alcohol intake, it's probably a good idea to stay away from the booze. But when are we as human beings ever been good at doing what is good for us? In general we are a pretty self-destructive lot....... And I say that in all honesty as contemplate shoving another heart attack sized cheeseburger down my throat.  ac_dunno
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

keeper

100% agree RW, im over 10 years sober.  ac_cool

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "RW"It would be cool, IMHO, to have a thread or section where you have a couple posts each to present an argument and folks vote like a jury.  

Am I too legally nerdy or could this be fun?

Problem with any issue is most minds are made up long before opening arguments are presented.

Exactly. Someone like me for instance already has my mind made up.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "RW"It would be cool, IMHO, to have a thread or section where you have a couple posts each to present an argument and folks vote like a jury.  

Am I too legally nerdy or could this be fun?

Problem with any issue is most minds are made up long before opening arguments are presented.

Exactly. Someone like me for instance already has my mind made up.

I'm the same way on most issues/topics/questions.

Mel Gibson

It is.

My family is a good example of this.  It can be traced through the generations as far back as anyone can remember.

Many people that start drinking can stop after a few.  We cannot, unfortunately.

There has never been an issue with any drugs, either legal or illegal.  Just alcohol.  Somehow the brain in certain individuals like it.

This is not due to environmental issues (i.e. childhood).  It is simply how the brain is wired.

Mel Gibson

Most psychiatrists are starting to see that environment doesn't really play as much of a role as they once thought...

This is the same reason why gays are gay, why pedophiles will always be pedophiles, why serial killers will always kill, etc.  These aren't "learned" behaviours...  These are genetic predispositions, and are essentially impossible to "fix."

Sure, environment can contribute, but I don't believe it contributes as much as many people think...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel Gibson"

It is.

My family is a good example of this.  It can be traced through the generations as far back as anyone can remember.

Many people that start drinking can stop after a few.  We cannot, unfortunately.

There has never been an issue with any drugs, either legal or illegal.  Just alcohol.  Somehow the brain in certain individuals like it.

This is not due to environmental issues (i.e. childhood).  It is simply how the brain is wired.

I do not doubt that some people are genetically weaker when it comes to drinking responsibly. However, the people that abuse it that I know all too often have negative lifestyle issues.

Mel Gibson

Quote from: "Shen Li"I do not doubt that some people are genetically weaker when it comes to drinking responsibly. However, the people that abuse it that I know all too often have negative lifestyle issues.

Their negative lifestyle issues are more likely to be created by their excessive drinking, than some childhood "trauma."

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel Gibson"
Quote from: "Shen Li"I do not doubt that some people are genetically weaker when it comes to drinking responsibly. However, the people that abuse it that I know all too often have negative lifestyle issues.

Their negative lifestyle issues are more likely to be created by their excessive drinking, than some childhood "trauma."
is

This a chicken and egg argument. I have never studied causation and frankly I don't care. What I am saying is that with very few exceptions, the people that I have seen who abuse alcohol have lifestyles conducive to their self-destruction.