News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Anyone else get the "Marriott Hotel" scam calls?

Started by Mel Gibson, April 24, 2015, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiebers

We have special rings for family programmed on the land line and everything else goes to voice mail. Everyone else texts or calls the mobile.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

RW

I love getting these types of calls.  The last guy who called from "Windows" got asked if he had a big penis.  When he admitted he did, I then said I wanted to talk about it rather than computer security.  They haven't called back since :/
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bit

Quote from: "RW"I love getting these types of calls.  The last guy who called from "Windows" got asked if he had a big penis.  When he admitted he did, I then said I wanted to talk about it rather than computer security.  They haven't called back since :/

That was really funny.  ac_lmfao

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "RW"I love getting these types of calls.  The last guy who called from "Windows" got asked if he had a big penis.  When he admitted he did, I then said I wanted to talk about it rather than computer security.  They haven't called back since :/

ask him for his home phone number and what time he'll be home from work...tell you'll call him then to talk about his penis and have phone sex...

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

ac_toofunny

Mel Gibson

The "Marriott" scammers are good.  They'll hang up in a second if you try to play them.

It is a work in progress with these guys, trust me...

cc

Quote from: "Mel Gibson"The "Do Not Call" registry is most certainly still in effect.....
Actually it does not and never did really apply. The good guys honored it .... the rogues ... the ones who are the real problem ... never did honor it and never will. Add to that being located in any country in the world and registering ones name on the list only gives working numbers to rogues who get their hands on the list

It's not different than gun laws in that it does not deter rogues in the least
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Mel Gibson

It does work.  I have monitored three numbers on the list, before and after, and it certainly does work.

As I've stated before, it only applies to calls originating from within Canada.  The US list applies to them the same.

RW

A million monkeys at a million telephones will eventually dial your number.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Mel Gibson

Quote from: "RW"A million monkeys at a million telephones will eventually dial your number.

Exactly.  And the Marriott scam originates from Mexico, so the list is null and void anyhow, even if they DIDN'T spoof local numbers, which they do...

This is why I try to waste as much of their time as I can...  They are paying for long distance calls.  This is also why they hang up the second they smell a game.  I am perfecting my technique to keep them on the line as long as I can...

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"They have me on speed dial

a 604 number comes up also - seems these outfits can manipulate the system any way they choose

I haven't received such calls Mel Gibson..

Nobody has said anything to me about it either.

ac_dunno

Mel Gibson

For now, they seem to be targeting Vancouver.

That can change, however...  This scam is known by many names.  They used WestJet once, and a few other hotels...

It's been going on for years.

Mel Gibson

The idea is for you to give up your credit card number.  Then it gets billed for a trip/hotel/flight, etc., that you don't actually get to take!  'Cause once you get to the real airport/hotel/resort, they haven't heard of you, contrary to the fact that your credit card was billed for it!

RW

Can someone please inform Mel here about VOIP and get him up to speed with the rest of the world.
Beware of Gaslighters!