News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Is it time for South Carolina to take down the Confederate flag?

Started by J0E, June 22, 2015, 03:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Should South Carolina take down the Confederate Flag?

No
4 (44.4%)
Yes
3 (33.3%)
I don't know
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 27, 2015, 03:57:50 PM

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"The Confederate flag most likely stirs the same emotions among African Americans as the swastika does among Jews.

This one to Chinese or Koreans.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/qctimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/7a/e7ab9b28-1230-11e2-b28a-001a4bcf887a/50745552c4aa9.preview-620.jpg">

Frood

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"The Confederate flag most likely stirs the same emotions among African Americans as the swastika does among Jews.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/qctimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/7a/e7ab9b28-1230-11e2-b28a-001a4bcf887a/50745552c4aa9.preview-620.jpg">

The flag you've shown is different from the flag Japan once used in WW2, and it (the flag you showed) is still used till this day.

Do Chinese and Koreans understand the difference or is it much the same in revisionist scope as African Americans wrongly believing that the Dixie flag symbolizes slavery instead of States Rights?
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

The flag you've shown is different from the flag Japan once used in WW2, and it (the flag you showed) is still used till this day.

Do Chinese and Koreans understand the difference or is it much the same in revisionist scope as African Americans wrongly believing that the Dixie flag symbolizes slavery instead of States Rights?

In Asia, it doesn't matter..

Any resemblance to the flag Japan used to conquer Asian countries is viewed the same as a swastika in Europe.

Anonymous

Even if it's a drunken Halloween party, do not wear a Japanese Imperial Army uniform in Korea. They will forgive foreigners for a lot, but not that.

@realAzhyaAryola

They have ruined it for me. I have a knack for wearing flags in the past so now I can't wear the confederate flag on the back pockets of my denim shorts or pants if I wanted to do that. I had an American flag rhinestone buckle on a big belt that I have worn on denim shorts. It used to be a conversation piece among my friends and myself and even among strangers. Later on, I decided I did not like the attention from strangers so I gave it to a younger cousin.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/010/1/6825329/il_340x270.445108035_3fdi.jpg">
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

There's nothing stopping you wearing confederacy icons.

It simply doesn't belong on governmental buildings.

@realAzhyaAryola

No! The hysteria has put a very bad light on it. Before all this mess, no one cared that much. Pfffttt!
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

I don't need it to be flying outside of government buildings, after all it was retired after the war once upon a time. I do not like the recent attention it has been receiving. It is not necessary. And no, just because I like the confederate flag does not mean I am a racist. I don't look down upon the blacks, I have black friends and bosses and...wait a minute, I don't even have to explain myself! I am not a racist. I am not white!
@realAzhyaAryola

Bricktop

You are also not American by birth. So why are so riled?

@realAzhyaAryola

Oh really? You cannot wrap it around your head that someone like me could feel the way I do? I'm in my adopted country. I left when I was 17. I have been here longer than 17 years. Don't tell me that someone like me, and there are millions like me, should just sit on the sidelines? Shame on you, Spectre. I also pay taxes, damn it! I have a say! I am a stakeholder! As Dinky Dianna says, "write that down."  :yahoo: I still love to tell my sons as often as I can the history of this country, as well as their mother's fatherland.
@realAzhyaAryola

kiebers

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Oh really? You cannot wrap it around your head that someone like me could feel the way I do? I'm in my adopted country. I left when I was 17. I have been here longer than 17 years. Don't tell me that someone like me, and there are millions like me, should just sit on the sidelines? Shame on you, Spectre. I also pay taxes, damn it! I have a say! I am a stakeholder! As Dinky Dianna says, "write that down."  :yahoo: I still love to tell my sons as often as I can the history of this country, as well as their mother's fatherland.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "kiebers"
 :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Hi five, Texas!  ac_toofunny

Glad you agree, kiebz.  ac_drinks
@realAzhyaAryola

Frood

Quote from: "SPECTRE"There's nothing stopping you wearing confederacy icons.

It simply doesn't belong on governmental buildings.

Plenty of other nations fly secondary flags at their installations. In my own nation, this can be seen flying next to the flag at police stations, court houses, and the like.

http://www.pubzi.com/f/392782-sm-392766-aboriginal-flag.png">

What you're basically saying is that no other flag besides government approved flags belong in a society. That suggests a penchant on your part for going down on authority and spurning possibly better suitors.

A brainwashing of sorts.
Blahhhhhh...

Frood

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Oh really? You cannot wrap it around your head that someone like me could feel the way I do? I'm in my adopted country. I left when I was 17. I have been here longer than 17 years. Don't tell me that someone like me, and there are millions like me, should just sit on the sidelines? Shame on you, Spectre. I also pay taxes, damn it! I have a say! I am a stakeholder! As Dinky Dianna says, "write that down."  :yahoo: I still love to tell my sons as often as I can the history of this country, as well as their mother's fatherland.

You've actually summed up the original mindset of the founding fathers for the United States, and you've done so as an immigrant instead of a native born. That may well make you more historically American than most of your US hospital born brethren.
Blahhhhhh...

J0E

I think people are overeacting to the presence of the Confederate flag.

It was not the cause of the Charleston shootings.

Even Obama said that its attitudes which have to change.

Tearing down a flag won't change anything.

More like lax gun laws which need to be reformed to prevent individuals such as Dylann Roof from ever owning a gun.

If South Carolina had Swiss style gun laws which prevent people with criminal records and mental problems from owning firearms, this incident would never have happened. Dylann Roof had a criminal record,yet he was allowed to own a gun. Really, the action of his father giving Dylann a gun should be prosecuted like a heroin dealer pushing drugs on a kid.

Politicians like Nikki Hayley don't talk about gun laws for fear of alienating their supporters. But its the real.problem, not the confederate flag.

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I don't need it to be flying outside of government buildings, after all it was retired after the war once upon a time. I do not like the recent attention it has been receiving. It is not necessary. And no, just because I like the confederate flag does not mean I am a racist. I don't look down upon the blacks, I have black friends and bosses and...wait a minute, I don't even have to explain myself! I am not a racist. I am not white!