The best topic

Replies: 10564
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:39:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

Helter-Skelter

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, August 08, 2015, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

@realAzhyaAryola

Since some posters want to engage in flaming, I have the following comment about it.

Except for a bit of shallow fun, what is truly to be gained by watching strangers display a charade of artificial bravery?
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Since some posters want to engage in flaming, I have the following comment about it.

Except for a bit of shallow fun, what is truly to be gained by watching strangers display a charade of artificial bravery?

I still don't know what flaming is..

Bricktop and King Martini are supposed to give us a demonstration of real flaming.

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Bricktop and King Martini are supposed to give us a demonstration of real flaming.

Here it is, Fash.

Flaming is the online act of posting insults, often laced with profanity or other offensive language on social networking sites. This term should not be confused with the term trolling, which is the act of someone going online, or in person, and causing discord. Flaming emerged out of the anonymity that internet forums provide cover for users to act more aggressively. Anonymity can lead to disinhibition, which results in the swearing, offensive, and hostile language characteristic of flaming. Lack of social cues, less accountability of face-to-face communications, textual mediation and deindividualization are also likely factors. Deliberate flaming is carried out by individuals known as flamers, which are specifically motivated to incite flaming. These users specialize in flaming and target specific aspects of a controversial conversation.

There is more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_%28Internet%29">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet)
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"

Here it is, Fash.

Flaming is the online act of posting insults, often laced with profanity or other offensive language on social networking sites. This term should not be confused with the term trolling, which is the act of someone going online, or in person, and causing discord. Flaming emerged out of the anonymity that internet forums provide cover for users to act more aggressively. Anonymity can lead to disinhibition, which results in the swearing, offensive, and hostile language characteristic of flaming. Lack of social cues, less accountability of face-to-face communications, textual mediation and deindividualization are also likely factors. Deliberate flaming is carried out by individuals known as flamers, which are specifically motivated to incite flaming. These users specialize in flaming and target specific aspects of a controversial conversation.

There is more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_%28Internet%29">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet)

So there it is in black and white.

Blazor

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"I conducted an experiment in my city one day and these are my observations.

When you smile at people you encounter while you are out and about, they either:

1. are taken by surprise that you are smiling at them and are uncertain whether to smile back or not

2. smile back also

3. do not smile back

In my observation, the numbers are pretty even between those who smiled back and those who had no reaction.

When I was younger, people would acknowledged each other with a smile or a nod. Today, people can be up close to each other like in a packed train or

walking on the street and most people avoid eye contact. Could this be a sign of a growing trend? Are we more comfortable in ignoring our fellowmen even if they are within our immediate space?

I smile quite often, and nod a good bit too. When I was in Seattle visiting my brother, he was amazed while we walked that so many smiled or waved back to me. He said that never happens to him. I told him he needed to smile more lol. He also tried advising me to ignore a guy at the bus stop, but thats not how I roll. If Im talked to, I'll talk back.

I do believe it is a trend, cause some folks stay stuck in their phone and Fakebook. Easy for them to ignore people. They develop a mentality that ignoring is ok.

No ignoring where I live. Everybody knows each other in the town.

I suppose less ignoring in smaller towns. More ignoring in bigger cities.

I hate city living,

Im with ya there man! I'd rather live in Odi's cabin  :laugh:

I like my farm. A half section all to myself. Ride my quad and shoot badgers.

A cabin on some acres has always been my dream.... and Im still dreaming  :laugh:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"I conducted an experiment in my city one day and these are my observations.

When you smile at people you encounter while you are out and about, they either:

1. are taken by surprise that you are smiling at them and are uncertain whether to smile back or not

2. smile back also

3. do not smile back

In my observation, the numbers are pretty even between those who smiled back and those who had no reaction.

When I was younger, people would acknowledged each other with a smile or a nod. Today, people can be up close to each other like in a packed train or

walking on the street and most people avoid eye contact. Could this be a sign of a growing trend? Are we more comfortable in ignoring our fellowmen even if they are within our immediate space?

I smile quite often, and nod a good bit too. When I was in Seattle visiting my brother, he was amazed while we walked that so many smiled or waved back to me. He said that never happens to him. I told him he needed to smile more lol. He also tried advising me to ignore a guy at the bus stop, but thats not how I roll. If Im talked to, I'll talk back.

I do believe it is a trend, cause some folks stay stuck in their phone and Fakebook. Easy for them to ignore people. They develop a mentality that ignoring is ok.

I hate city living,

:thumbup: Thanks, fellas, for your input.

I like both. The downtown energizes me but I need the country to fuel creativity in writing and painting mainly. The downtown pulse excites but the serenity of the countryside calms and quiets.

I think you nailed it.

I live on the outskirts of the city, but not enough in the country at all. Most my childhood I lived in the city and hated it, longed for the country. Think thats why I loved going to my aunts a lot, woods were around, and I was always in 'em lol. But now, I seem to like a lil bit of city, and didnt realize it, it is like you said, energizes you. Downtown here has gotten better, more to get into, but if I had to choose downtown or camping, I would pick camping lol. My city to woods ratio is prolly 20/80 on how often I like each of them lol. Had you asked me 10 years ago, I would've picked woods 100%.

Blazor

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Since some posters want to engage in flaming, I have the following comment about it.

Use to be, mostly in fun. I think flaming has gone off track a lil over the years, and has dwindled to bitter drivel if you were to ask me. It lost its appeal long ago, but I still see some good gems now and then that make me laugh. I still have all my old armor, and can swing a flame thrower if it needs to come out  :laugh:

Blazor

Azhya just gave a good definition, of what flaming is "these days".

Think of it like this, ya know when someone cracks an insult on someone, but its funny and good at the same time, so someone will say "you got burned!" or "BURN!" if you follow me. Thats pretty much it, they got flamed, by a flamer, hence flaming got its name lol.

Anonymous

Use to be, mostly in fun. I think flaming has gone off track a lil over the years, and has dwindled to bitter drivel if you were to ask me. It lost its appeal long ago, but I still see some good gems now and then that make me laugh. I still have all my old armor, and can swing a flame thrower if it needs to come out  :laugh:

That seems accurate.

Anonymous

2. smile back also

3. do not smile back

I hate city living,

I like both. The downtown energizes me but I need the country to fuel creativity in writing and painting mainly. The downtown pulse excites but the serenity of the countryside calms and quiets.

I think you nailed it.

I live on the outskirts of the city, but not enough in the country at all. Most my childhood I lived in the city and hated it, longed for the country. Think thats why I loved going to my aunts a lot, woods were around, and I was always in 'em lol. But now, I seem to like a lil bit of city, and didnt realize it, it is like you said, energizes you. Downtown here has gotten better, more to get into, but if I had to choose downtown or camping, I would pick camping lol. My city to woods ratio is prolly 20/80 on how often I like each of them lol. Had you asked me 10 years ago, I would've picked woods 100%.

Other than Regina and Calgary, all the cities I've lived in have been abroad. Give me the countryside with my own land any day. The main reason I never retired abroad is could never own a half section outside Canada.

Anonymous

2. smile back also

3. do not smile back

I hate city living,

I think you nailed it.

Other than Regina and Calgary, all the cities I've lived in have been abroad. Give me the countryside with my own land any day. The main reason I never retired abroad is could never own a half section outside Canada.

I lived in Almaty..

Have you been there?

Anonymous

2. smile back also

3. do not smile back

I hate city living,

I think you nailed it.

I lived in Almaty..

Have you been there?

Yep. I have been to every central Asian former Soviet republic. They all suck.

Anonymous

2. smile back also

3. do not smile back

I hate city living,

I think you nailed it.

I lived in Almaty..

Have you been there?

Yep. I have been to every central Asian former Soviet republic. They all suck.

:laugh:

Blazor

2. smile back also

3. do not smile back

I hate city living,

I think you nailed it.

Before my wife died, I almost got 40 acres. Was only $60,000 but almost all mountain. Bank said it had to be a land loan, which required 20% plus closing costs. Was no way I could do it since I was about to be on my own. Had an awesome view, and you couldnt see ANY neighbors. Another one of those lost opportunities.

Anonymous

Did the land have services?