Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

2015 By Far The Hottest Year In Recorded History

Started by Romero, January 20, 2016, 06:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "RW"As part of an ecosystem we obviously have an impact on it.  I don't know why that's still even a debatable point.

With real pollution like soil erosion we can say with certainty exactly what man's impact is. But, with something like C02 we can't do that.

Canadians are being lied to. Carbon taxes, any cuts we make to our C02 emissions, and expensive green energy initiatives will not alter climate. They will take a lot of money out of our pockets though. If there are changes in weather patterns either from El Nino, changes in sun spots or from man we adapt to it and move on. Why do we keep choosing the most expensive and useless solutuons,

This is a bit naive.  Canadians are being lied to by NASA and NOAA?  To what end?  Green energy initiatives may be expensive now, but if we adopt them intelligently as an industry, that's a good thing for us and the cost will also gradually come down.  Carbon taxes in BC have demonstrably altered consumer energy consumption.  Alternatives create a great deal of innovation.  

How do you know that we keep choosing expensive and useless solutions?  I recently designed an LNG power plant with battery back-up for a class of ships that permits one of the two engines to be shut down throughout 90% of the operating profile.  It's around 30% fuel savings vs. keeping the second engine constantly at idle (otherwise required for safety) and will have an ROI of under 2 years.  It's only possible due to developments in battery technology driven by alternative energy research.  They are local transport ships, so the owner, if he so chooses can pass the fuel savings on to you.  Will that take money out of your pocket?

I think the Seoul brother nailed it. He's not saying no to alternative market solutions. I think he supports conservation and innovation.

If you take a look at the politics thread, you'll get an idea of what he and I are talking about. Is NASA saying if Canada has a carbon tax it will stop climate change. That's what our government plans to do.