The best topic

Replies: 10394
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:15:05 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

High School Memories

Started by Renee, March 08, 2016, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Ribs are fatty.

They are my husband's favourite smoked and on the barbeque.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Might as well just quote it...

Quote from: "Renee"How do you remember your High School years? Do you remember your High School years? Did you enjoy them or were you miserable?

Since every school has its cliques and groups who did you hang out with, where did you belong? We're you in with the popular kids, where you a jock/sporto, a delinquent, a head case, a nerd, a band geek or were you a mixed bag of several of those things? Ever wonder what happened to High School friends you lost touch with?

Do you still have your High School graduation pics, your year book? Do you ever look at them and say....Holy Fuck! What was I thinking or do you look at them fondly or not think about them at all?

The reason I'm asking is because I recently came a cross my own HS pics and personal crap at my parents house and while looking at them I couldn't stop laughing. Unfortunately I think my laughter was simply a nervous reflex to cover the feeling of opportunity lost. Back then I thought I knew it all, time sure has proven that wrong.  Christ, was I dumb.

High school was perhaps the largest collective learning experience of my life. Before I went to a far away high school, I spent most of my days not leaving my neighborhood. Since my high school brought kids from all over the city together, participating in activities with them took me to the ends of the Earth... or all around the city and beyond.

Yes, we had cliques. The first one I gravitated to were people who identified with alternative music and wore dark colors. I made other friends who were jocks, metal heads, nerds, and whatnot, but there was a lot of  crossover between the cliques so at the end of the day we were all friends. It wasn't unusual to see other weirdos at parties.

I try not to look at my yearbook pictures much because it makes the nostalgia less precious. Sometimes, people post old pics on social media, and it never ceases to amaze me how they must have thought these moments were going to serve as conversation pieces with the same people 20 years later. I suppose I should add "time traveling druids" to the list of cliques.

I thought I had life figured out in my early twenties. Now I know the world is immense and so is it's knowledge base.

Having never had a real high school experience, I sometimes think I missed out on a lot..

Then again, some people had experiences they would like to forget.

deadskinmask

Quote from: "Fashionista"

you should check out pork riblets.... they're smaller pieces of individual ribs from the lesser used portions. you can cook em up like buffalo wings and serve em as a snack.... they used to be dirt cheap but they have gained popularity since so i dunno how cheap they'd be anymore....

Anonymous

Quote from: "deadskinmask"

you should check out pork riblets.... they're smaller pieces of individual ribs from the lesser used portions. you can cook em up like buffalo wings and serve em as a snack.... they used to be dirt cheap but they have gained popularity since so i dunno how cheap they'd be anymore....

They are delicious, but they are hard to find in Calgary.

Renee

Quote from: "Renee"How do you remember your High School years? Do you remember your High School years? Did you enjoy them or were you miserable?

Since every school has its cliques and groups who did you hang out with, where did you belong? We're you in with the popular kids, where you a jock/sporto, a delinquent, a head case, a nerd, a band geek or were you a mixed bag of several of those things? Ever wonder what happened to High School friends you lost touch with?

Do you still have your High School graduation pics, your year book? Do you ever look at them and say....Holy Fuck! What was I thinking or do you look at them fondly or not think about them at all?

The reason I'm asking is because I recently came a cross my own HS pics and personal crap at my parents house and while looking at them I couldn't stop laughing. Unfortunately I think my laughter was simply a nervous reflex to cover the feeling of opportunity lost. Back then I thought I knew it all, time sure has proven that wrong.  Christ, was I dumb.

High school was perhaps the largest collective learning experience of my life. Before I went to a far away high school, I spent most of my days not leaving my neighborhood. Since my high school brought kids from all over the city together, participating in activities with them took me to the ends of the Earth... or all around the city and beyond.

Yes, we had cliques. The first one I gravitated to were people who identified with alternative music and wore dark colors. I made other friends who were jocks, metal heads, nerds, and whatnot, but there was a lot of  crossover between the cliques so at the end of the day we were all friends. It wasn't unusual to see other weirdos at parties.

I try not to look at my yearbook pictures much because it makes the nostalgia less precious. Sometimes, people post old pics on social media, and it never ceases to amaze me how they must have thought these moments were going to serve as conversation pieces with the same people 20 years later. I suppose I should add "time traveling druids" to the list of cliques.

I thought I had life figured out in my early twenties. Now I know the world is immense and so is it's knowledge base.

Regarding your HS years being the "largest collective learning experience", I'm going to have to go ahead and agree 100% with that.

I went to a regional HS which was made up of several different towns and although we weren't that ethnically diverse (85% white) we were an economically and socially diverse group. The student body came from poor blue collar families to very upper middle class families and everything in-between. Until you are thrown into a melting pot like that you don't realize or see the social ramifications of that kind of environment. It's almost like a microcosm of the real world and if you are astute enough you can learn a lot from it.

BTW, thank you for trying to put this thread back on track.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Renee

Having never had a real high school experience, I sometimes think I missed out on a lot..

All I can tell you, just like any other expierence, you get out of your HS years what you put into them.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

All I can tell you, just like any other expierence, you get out of your HS years what you put into them.

I can't miss what I never had..

One thing I do no miss was along with a Filipina, my brother and I were the only visible minorities in those two portables..

I was educated in a supposedly Christian environment, but there was overt racism..

Worse than that, was that some teachers tolerated it.

deadskinmask

oh.... well.... i hear that you can do the same thing with beaver tails or moose ears....

Anonymous

oh.... well.... i hear that you can do the same thing with beaver tails or moose ears....

lol dsm, I think I would prefer to just drive to the places in Calgary that do sell them.

Twenty Dollars

Pork fat and skin cancer. Heaven on earth.

Anonymous

QuoteI can't miss what I never had..

One thing I do no miss was along with a Filipina, my brother and I were the only visible minorities in those two portables..

I was educated in a supposedly Christian environment, but there was overt racism..

I have always had the suspicion that a large percentage of white evangelicals are closet racists.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

I have always had the suspicion that a large percentage of white evangelicals are closet racists.

That is unfair and untrue.

shin

Quote from: "Renee"

Regarding your HS years being the "largest collective learning experience", I'm going to have to go ahead and agree 100% with that.

I went to a regional HS which was made up of several different towns and although we weren't that ethnically diverse (85% white) we were an economically and socially diverse group. The student body came from poor blue collar families to very upper middle class families and everything in-between. Until you are thrown into a melting pot like that you don't realize or see the social ramifications of that kind of environment. It's almost like a microcosm of the real world and if you are astute enough you can learn a lot from it.

BTW, thank you for trying to put this thread back on track.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

You're welcome.

I loathed having to wake up so much earlier to travel 2 hours to school, but when it comes down to the life experiences I wouldn't trade them back for the world. I was one of 4 students from my elementary school accepted to attend this magnet school of sorts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Technical_College_Prep_High_School">This is where I went to high school.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

That is unfair and untrue.

Most white evangelicals in the US support Donald Trump.

priscilla1961

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/seamajor1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/EEF9E2FB-CBFD-48B9-A8EA-83CF3805818C_zpst9utthqr.jpg.html">

Come on guys. I always wear board shorts. We do take a wave naked on out birthdays. Tradition..

Too much handsome. ac_lovestruck
My Daughter Is Sweeter Than Fucking Sugar!!