Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

This is what unwanted flirting feels like

Started by shin, March 26, 2016, 10:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"You're a financial guy.  Here's some financial advice from me to you:

Don't buy a boat.

I don't buy mind depreciation for that much fun.  :laugh3:

Renee

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "RW"You're a financial guy.  Here's some financial advice from me to you:

Don't buy a boat.

Jet skis are one thing....actual boats....are a lot of work and they suck up money faster than a Vegas pro.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

Don't buy a boat.

Jet skis are one thing....actual boats....are a lot of work and they suck up money faster than a Vegas pro.

One thing I deplore and that is wasting money. What size of boats has your dad owned? I would only buy something small I can launch from almost anywhere.

Anonymous

Something like this is all I want.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUwWDgwMA==/z/rwMAAOSw9uFW-WGG/$_27.JPG">

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUwWDgwMA==/z/tK0AAOSwAvJW-WF8/$_27.JPG">

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/barrie/17-foot-thundercraft-with-trailer-and-70-hp-johnson-motor/1151356854?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true">http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorb ... nFlag=true">http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/barrie/17-foot-thundercraft-with-trailer-and-70-hp-johnson-motor/1151356854?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Renee

Don't buy a boat.

One thing I deplore and that is wasting money. What size of boats has your dad owned? I would only buy something small I can launch from almost anywhere.

He started with a small aluminum boat with a small outboard engine....I think it was like 12 feet.

Then he went to a bass boat. I think that was about ,16 or 18 feet. He sold that about 6 years ago

He now has a 28 foot fishing boat that is parked at a slip at the marina about a mile from where I live. I think he used it a total of 6 times last year.

If you get a boat like that, you have to have a gullible daughter and grandchildren who you can rope into cleaning it once a week for you.:laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

RW

So, you're going to need a vehicle that can tow a boat trailer or pay to have someone tow it for you.  You said you were going to store it at your parents but you will need to check that city bylaws allow for that.

They say to budget 10 percent of the boat's value annually to cover additional expenses (WAY more if it's the used piece of shit you posted above).

A 17 to 19-foot stern drive boat with 50 hours of actual engine running time (more for skiing, less for fishing) will require about $475 in fuel.  

Oil changes will cost you about another $300.

There registration and insurance costs (can be high) as well.

Painting, cleaning, waxing, etc can cost hundreds of dollars a year.

You can have docking fees if you are leaving your boat in the water for a few days.

Life jackets can be up to $70 a piece.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"So, you're going to need a vehicle that can tow a boat trailer or pay to have someone tow it for you.  You said you were going to store it at your parents but you will need to check that city bylaws allow for that.

They say to budget 10 percent of the boat's value annually to cover additional expenses (WAY more if it's the used piece of shit you posted above).

A 17 to 19-foot stern drive boat with 50 hours of actual engine running time (more for skiing, less for fishing) will require about $475 in fuel.  

Oil changes will cost you about another $300.

There registration and insurance costs (can be high) as well.

Painting, cleaning, waxing, etc can cost hundreds of dollars a year.

You can have docking fees if you are leaving your boat in the water for a few days.

Life jackets can be up to $70 a piece.

Small boats and rv's under a certain size are fine. I would be towing any boat I buy myself.

The size of boat I would be buying, I am not concerned about wear and tear expenses. If I got something, I would have a second engine on hand.

Anonymous

Don't buy a boat.

He started with a small aluminum boat with a small outboard engine....I think it was like 12 feet.

Then he went to a bass boat. I think that was about ,16 or 18 feet. He sold that about 6 years ago

He now has a 28 foot fishing boat that is parked at a slip at the marina about a mile from where I live. I think he used it a total of 6 times last year.

If you get a boat like that, you have to have a gullible daughter and grandchildren who you can rope into cleaning it once a week for you.:laugh3:

The one I posted would be max size I would consider buying. Lots and lots to choose from in my area.

Renee

10% in yearly costs is about right.

When you look at the money that my dad spends just to keep that monster in the water, it's amazing my mom hasn't killed him. Especially when you consider how much he uses it.

That's another thing....the first couple of seasons you will use the shit out of your new toy. Once the reality of ownership sinks in and the novelty wears off, you will find ways to avoid using it.

Most people who own boats around here spend their spring and summer weekends at the dock cleaning and working on their floating anchor while never leaving the marina.

But they are great for sun bathing. That's if you are into frying like a piece of bacon.

Twenty Dollars

The two happiest days ever. When you buy it. When you sell it.

Anonymous

All the good lakes in Saskatchewan are up North, but most of us live in the South. I have dis fly in fishing trips, but there's no way I would be hauling a boat up to mosquito land.

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Herman"TD, do you own a Sea Doo. That is what I would have if I lived by the water.

Sadly no more holes in the H2O for me. If I ever moved back to the Bay Area I'd love to have another sailboat.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"
Quote from: "Herman"TD, do you own a Sea Doo. That is what I would have if I lived by the water.

Sadly no more holes in the H2O for me. If I ever moved back to the Bay Area I'd love to have another sailboat.

Ya, I am worried about that. ac_toofunny

I was on a sailboat that was docked, but never out on the open water. I would like love to try it.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Sailing is great fun.

I will bet it is. I wish I knew somebody that sailed. I would love to go on a sailing trip.