Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

What I learned in school

Started by shin, March 25, 2017, 06:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin

I was thinking the other day that I might have gone further in life if I were more disciplined as opposed to smarter.

Then, I thought about the old saying, "It's not what you know, it's who you know" and how proximity often shapes our relationships.

Then, I thought about what the teachers were actually teaching us in those crowded classrooms, and how so little of it comes into play in my life.

"What did you learn in school today?"

kiebers

Math was critical to me. Not because I was an accountant but because it teaches logic as well. Obviously being able to read was critical but probably the smartest course I took that has aided me as much as the other two was typing. Using a keyboard and using it correctly has been something I have used the majority of my life. Schools can't teach common sense so that was on my own....LOL
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

RW

School gets such little credit for what we actually know.  Such a shame.
Beware of Gaslighters!

UncleDilf

Making 200 - 250K a month. Entrepreneur and business owner.

School was shit. What brings you biology or math now? It was more of a pain!

In 2004 my tech teacher said to invest heavily in  Google. The rest is history.

I sold many startups to some media groups and tech giants.

Anonymous

Unlike everyone else here, I never attended a physical school building..

We had one portable on the church property for grades 7-12 and kindergarten to grade 6 was inside in the church basement..

No library, no gym, no science labs, no music room, it was like the 1930's in rural Canada..

My children attend the same school(at least the name is the same), but there's a proper facility now with everything a public funded school has.

Thiel

I will be 50 this year, so my school memories will be different than those of you in your thirties. I had some great teachers in high school. Even though it's been over thirty years, I still remember them fondly.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"Unlike everyone else here, I never attended a physical school building..

We had one portable on the church property for grades 7-12 and kindergarten to grade 6 was inside in the church basement..

No library, no gym, no science labs, no music room, it was like the 1930's in rural Canada..

My children attend the same school(at least the name is the same), but there's a proper facility now with everything a public funded school has.

I can't even imagine what that would be like Fash.

Zetsu

I found general science like chemistry or physics really helpful later in life, what I learned might not be practical, but it greatly reshaped my mind into understanding a bit more complex issues better than before, like understanding what is going on in the water of my salt water fish tank or how to tell my parents to exercise without causing any further injury, etc.  I believe grade school education where helpful for daily life uses/needs and serves as just another foundation when we go into college or university.
Permanently off his rocker

Zetsu

Quote from: "RW"School gets such little credit for what we actually know.  Such a shame.

If ur talking about grade school it's simply b/c they're a dime a dozen plus it's free, university on the other hand I wouldn't dare say the same.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"I found general science like chemistry or physics really helpful later in life, what I learned might not be practical, but it greatly reshaped my mind into understanding a bit more complex issues better than before, like understanding what is going on in the water of my salt water fish tank or how to tell my parents to exercise without causing any further injury, etc.  I believe grade school education where helpful for daily life uses/needs and serves as just another foundation when we go into college or university.

How big is your salt water fish tank and what kind of fish do you have Zetsu?

Anonymous

In school I learned how to grow dope, fight and have three girlfriends at the same time without any of them knowing about the other.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"In school I learned how to grow dope, fight and have three girlfriends at the same time without any of them knowing about the other.

I see you went to high school in Winnipeg. :laugh3:

Zetsu

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Zetsu"I found general science like chemistry or physics really helpful later in life, what I learned might not be practical, but it greatly reshaped my mind into understanding a bit more complex issues better than before, like understanding what is going on in the water of my salt water fish tank or how to tell my parents to exercise without causing any further injury, etc.  I believe grade school education where helpful for daily life uses/needs and serves as just another foundation when we go into college or university.

It's just a 48 US gallon aquarium, it might sound big to folks new to the hobby but there's some really pro hobbyist with tanks larger than my own bathroom, lol.  For fishies I dun have much  ac_blush , just the usual nemo and dory, along with a lemon peel angel, flame angel and a few cheapo blue green/lemon chromis, lol.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"

It's just a 48 US gallon aquarium, it might sound big to folks new to the hobby but there's some really pro hobbyist with tanks larger than my own bathroom, lol.  For fishies I dun have much  ac_blush , just the usual nemo and dory, along with a lemon peel angel, flame angel and a few cheapo blue green/lemon chromis, lol.

I have seen some beautiful aquarium displays.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "Zetsu"

I have seen some beautiful aquarium displays.

Hehe I know what ya mean, after seeing this video I gotta admit I'm a bit tempted to start a freshwater tank all over again.  :001_tongue:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD7k6MRsTz8