News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Scenes from the Australian Snow country...

Started by Bricktop, August 07, 2017, 04:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
So, can I  safely assume you there was  no gym and pool on the grounds. :laugh3:

Sure there was! The Roanoke river flowed out back of the place, and when it went around the bend it was a HUGE hole that had a rope swing you could swing off of and dive in. I was too young for the big hole, but loved the creek lol. I climbed the hay bales, and up into the hay loft. I climbed to the top of the cedar shaving pile which was high, and rolled down lol. Was a real fun place as a young lad.

I wish I had tried some of those things as a kid. I am city boy, through and through. And I am too old to change now.

Blazor

I wish I had tried some of those things as a kid. I am city boy, through and through. And I am too old to change now.

Well, my mom and dad divorced when I was 1, I lived with my Great Grandparents on the weekdays and Great aunt on the weekends, up til I was 5. Those places were in town, but GG had a half acre lot, with apple trees, pear trees, raspberry and blackberry bushes, grape vine. I would climb the trees and play in the yard all day. Or I would ride my wagon with the handle turned around down the road lol. It was a dead end street. My aunts place seemed huge. It was also across the creek from the amusement park and the park train would go by and I would hear people say stuff like "hey look at that lil boy" lol. Those places were special to me. My mom took me back when I was 5 or 6, was nice being with mom again, but I really missed the other places. Living with mom was in the city in section 8 housing apartment complexes. That sucked. We moved every year. In my teens there was one place that had woods behind the complex. That was fun, I would build forts with boulders, rocks and tree limbs lol. I saw my dad maybe 4 times til I was able to drive, but I'll never forget when I was 10 and he took me camping for the first time. I was hooked on camping after that. Of course my mom never took me, so I waited til I was 14 and my dad dropped me off at my uncles house who I had never met, nor my cousin who was my age. We camped during Christmas vacation for 3 days. It was awesome, first time I had deer meat, we made chili. When I could drive was when I really started camping. Wasnt til I was 30 or so til I really got into backpacking, thats what I like the most. Nothing around for miles. Im rambling with stories lol, its my buzz lol, anyway, I had some experiences, but mostly raised in the city, no big city mind you, with a yearning for the woods.

How about hiking? Do you get into that at all? You dont have to change from city life lol, just a short while walking through the woods feeling like you're on an adventure, does ya good  ac_drinks
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Bricktop"Wait til you reach 66!!!

My aunt I described a minute ago, she was more man than most men, shes almost 68, I see how she is these days too. Im not looking forward to it. Im almost 41. Do I have til 50 or 60 at least lol?

Depends...how active you've been and how many knee and back operations you've had to repair the damage caused by a reckless youth.

Its not so much the pitching of the tent, as the getting up and down from the bed on the ground. And the proximity of the toilets...

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"

My aunt I described a minute ago, she was more man than most men, shes almost 68, I see how she is these days too. Im not looking forward to it. Im almost 41. Do I have til 50 or 60 at least lol?

Depends...how active you've been and how many knee and back operations you've had to repair the damage caused by a reckless youth.

Its not so much the pitching of the tent, as the getting up and down from the bed on the ground. And the proximity of the toilets...

I gotcha man, I try and stay active. I also fetch my own wood, Im sure there will come a time when I wont be able to solo trek no more. Why does that damn ground gotta get harder every year lololol. Im gonna try and make the most of my next 10 years outdoors wise. I feel for my dad, he lost his leg early in life and cant enjoy the deep woods. Just what he can drive to pretty much. He wants to go camping one more time, this year may be his last year, hes a lil younger than you but on dialysis. I can tell hes getting more irritated with things.

Anonymous

Well, my mom and dad divorced when I was 1, I lived with my Great Grandparents on the weekdays and Great aunt on the weekends, up til I was 5. Those places were in town, but GG had a half acre lot, with apple trees, pear trees, raspberry and blackberry bushes, grape vine. I would climb the trees and play in the yard all day. Or I would ride my wagon with the handle turned around down the road lol. It was a dead end street. My aunts place seemed huge. It was also across the creek from the amusement park and the park train would go by and I would hear people say stuff like "hey look at that lil boy" lol. Those places were special to me. My mom took me back when I was 5 or 6, was nice being with mom again, but I really missed the other places. Living with mom was in the city in section 8 housing apartment complexes. That sucked. We moved every year. In my teens there was one place that had woods behind the complex. That was fun, I would build forts with boulders, rocks and tree limbs lol. I saw my dad maybe 4 times til I was able to drive, but I'll never forget when I was 10 and he took me camping for the first time. I was hooked on camping after that. Of course my mom never took me, so I waited til I was 14 and my dad dropped me off at my uncles house who I had never met, nor my cousin who was my age. We camped during Christmas vacation for 3 days. It was awesome, first time I had deer meat, we made chili. When I could drive was when I really started camping. Wasnt til I was 30 or so til I really got into backpacking, thats what I like the most. Nothing around for miles. Im rambling with stories lol, its my buzz lol, anyway, I had some experiences, but mostly raised in the city, no big city mind you, with a yearning for the woods.

How about hiking? Do you get into that at all? You dont have to change from city life lol, just a short while walking through the woods feeling like you're on an adventure, does ya good  ac_drinks

I'm Korean, of course I like hiking. The trails around Barrie, Ontario are all urban, paved and near the lake. Which really isn't hiking at all.

Blazor

I'm Korean, of course I like hiking. The trails around Barrie, Ontario are all urban, paved and near the lake. Which really isn't hiking at all.

Boooo, paved lol. At least you like hiking lol  ac_drinks

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"The trails around Barrie, Ontario are all urban, paved and near the lake. Which really isn't hiking at all.

That sounds like the places I roller blade while walking my dog.

Bricktop

I gotcha man, I try and stay active. I also fetch my own wood, Im sure there will come a time when I wont be able to solo trek no more. Why does that damn ground gotta get harder every year lololol. Im gonna try and make the most of my next 10 years outdoors wise. I feel for my dad, he lost his leg early in life and cant enjoy the deep woods. Just what he can drive to pretty much. He wants to go camping one more time, this year may be his last year, hes a lil younger than you but on dialysis. I can tell hes getting more irritated with things.

Other than limbs that are creaking from overuse, battering or injury, I'm doing fine. Heart, lungs and most of the insides are in tip top shape. I'm not complaining.

Anonymous

Other than limbs that are creaking from overuse, battering or injury, I'm doing fine. Heart, lungs and most of the insides are in tip top shape. I'm not complaining.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Blazor

You seem like it with all your adventures! I admire that you do those things. To many more my friend  ac_drinks

Anonymous

You seem like it with all your adventures! I admire that you do those things. To many more my friend  ac_drinks

Bricktop has lead an interesting life.

Bricktop

That is certainly one way to describe it...hazardous, reckless, brutal, adventurous, dangerous and diverse is another.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"That is certainly one way to describe it...hazardous, reckless, brutal, adventurous, dangerous and diverse is another.

It makes interesting posting material.

Bricktop

Yeah, but it's hell on the joints and limbs.