News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10388
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:30:51 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

Guess it's time for a Hurricane/Tropical Storm Party!!!!!!

Started by kiebers, August 25, 2017, 07:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

kiebers

Break out the tequila.....Ain't we havin fun.....LOL

Looks like Hurricane Harvey is planning on making an appearance here this weekend and last into mid week next week. Supposedly hitting well south of us but then it is supposed to stay on the coast and move east maybe into Louisiana. Course that puts us in the direct path. Should be downgraded to tropical storm by the time it reaches us in Houston though. Not our first rodeo down here. Been through quite a few storms in my life. We prepare, we survive. All you can do. Hopefully we don't lose power for two weeks like we did during hurricane Ike. That was a pain. LOL
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"Break out the tequila.....Ain't we havin fun.....LOL

Looks like Hurricane Harvey is planning on making an appearance here this weekend and last into mid week next week. Supposedly hitting well south of us but then it is supposed to stay on the coast and move east maybe into Louisiana. Course that puts us in the direct path. Should be downgraded to tropical storm by the time it reaches us in Houston though. Not our first rodeo down here. Been through quite a few storms in my life. We prepare, we survive. All you can do. Hopefully we don't lose power for two weeks like we did during hurricane Ike. That was a pain. LOL

I hope you will be alright kiebers..

And everyone else in the storm's path.

kiebers

Thanks Fash, I think we will be ok. Just hate losing power and having to cook everything in the freezer that is cookable on a grill...We already lost one house in Galveston to a hurricane in 2008 and we were without power in Houston for 2 weeks. But its a been there done that kinda thing. We just hunker down and hope for the best. Not much else we can do.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Blazor

Oh man, so another CJ party?  :laugh:

I went through that somewhat a few years ago, we had a dechero (sp?) come through. No power for a week for most people, and it was 106 that week not including heat index. That sucked lol.

I was lucky to move most my food to my in-laws at the time. But did the grill thing too lol. Ever think of getting a generator for the important things like the fridge/freezer? Thats what my father in-law did. Hell he got one for his home that would power the fridge ac and tv, and one for his garage  :laugh:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"Thanks Fash, I think we will be ok. Just hate losing power and having to cook everything in the freezer that is cookable on a grill...We already lost one house in Galveston to a hurricane in 2008 and we were without power in Houston for 2 weeks. But its a been there done that kinda thing. We just hunker down and hope for the best. Not much else we can do.

The longest I've been without power in my condo is about 90  minutes and that was for scheduled maintenance.

I hope things don't get too wild for you kiebers.

kiebers

Quote from: "Blazor"Oh man, so another CJ party?  :laugh:

I went through that somewhat a few years ago, we had a dechero (sp?) come through. No power for a week for most people, and it was 106 that week not including heat index. That sucked lol.

I was lucky to move most my food to my in-laws at the time. But did the grill thing too lol. Ever think of getting a generator for the important things like the fridge/freezer? Thats what my father in-law did. Hell he got one for his home that would power the fridge ac and tv, and one for his garage  :laugh:

I have thought about a generator but I would need a big one for everything and those ain't cheap. I have central air and that will take a big one to operate. Other wise I would have to buy a few window units....It was a pain the last time for 2 weeks but it is survivable. Sit in the truck with the AC on to charge phones...LOL  I have had to drive to another town to get supplies but that doesn't bother me to have to do that. They are already running out of gas and groceries everywhere. I filled up yesterday. No worries.

Blazor

Quote from: "kiebers"
I have thought about a generator but I would need a big one for everything and those ain't cheap. I have central air and that will take a big one to operate. Other wise I would have to buy a few window units....It was a pain the last time for 2 weeks but it is survivable. Sit in the truck with the AC on to charge phones...LOL  I have had to drive to another town to get supplies but that doesn't bother me to have to do that. They are already running out of gas and groceries everywhere. I filled up yesterday. No worries.

Right on man, thats good on the supplies. Here its in the winter, and if a few flakes fall there goes all the bread and milk lol.

kiebers

People tend to over react but at the same time its not necessarily a bad thing. Better to be safe than sorry. Hell I have places to go from Colorado to Chicago if I needed to leave the state....LOL

RW

My house if you need to leave the country. :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

kiebers

Quote from: "RW"My house if you need to leave the country. :)

ac_biggrin

That would be an expensive trip....If I came to Canada I would have to go to several houses to stay out of trouble....LOL

If I am in Canada I am going to impose on everyone from Alberta to Vancouver Island....LOL

Blazor

Quote from: "kiebers"People tend to over react but at the same time its not necessarily a bad thing. Better to be safe than sorry. Hell I have places to go from Colorado to Chicago if I needed to leave the state....LOL

You're right lol. Also you're right that its "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"  ac_drinks

Thiel

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "RW"My house if you need to leave the country. :)

ac_biggrin

That would be an expensive trip....If I came to Canada I would have to go to several houses to stay out of trouble....LOL

If I am in Canada I am going to impose on everyone from Alberta to Vancouver Island....LOL

Don't forget Winnipeg.

Maybe it will just be a bad thunder storm where you live.
gay, conservative and proud

kiebers

We can do Winnipeg.  :thumbup:

It will be more than one thunderstorm....LOL It's going to sit on the coast and suck up moisture from the gulf. We are expecting 18 to 24 inches or more in my area. I have heard predictions of 50 inches in some areas closer to landfall. We have a county rain gauge less than a mile from us so I will be able see what we actually get.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"We can do Winnipeg.  :thumbup:

It will be more than one thunderstorm....LOL It's going to sit on the coast and suck up moisture from the gulf. We are expecting 18 to 24 inches or more in my area. I have heard predictions of 50 inches in some areas closer to landfall. We have a county rain gauge less than a mile from us so I will be able see what we actually get.

How long is the worst of it supposed to last before it moves on?

kiebers

Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "kiebers"We can do Winnipeg.  :thumbup:

How long is the worst of it supposed to last before it moves on?

That is the problem. It is supposed to hang around for a while moving slowly up the coast. It just went to a Category 4 with sustained winds of 130 mph. It hasn't made land fall yet but Corpus Christi is getting hurricane force winds now 6:30. Probably in excess of 100 mph. Not going to be good. Probably be the worst part damage wise. High winds, high storm surge doesn't make a good recipe. They are predicting it to go inland and start to lose wind speed but sit there. Then it will start moving back out over water as a tropical storm and run the coastline to Louisiana. Just sucking up all that moisture from the gulf and dumping it on the coast. All the rain will be a big issue. Flooding can take a lot of lives. Hopefully everyone prepared whether that be with supplies or evacuation.