Replies: 10401
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Problem solving, innovation, and creativity

Started by shin, December 22, 2017, 06:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin

Do you believe every problem has at least one feasible solution?

Is innovation always optimal when it's systematic?

When it comes to "thinking outside of the box", when is creativity a bad thing?

This should probably be an essay. :laugh:

Frood

Some problems aren't designed to be solved. Progressives struggle with that and end up creating more problems which needn't be.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Do you believe every problem has at least one feasible solution?

Innovations have certainly made our lives easier..

But, I'm some what cynical about the latest innovations that are more just marketing gimmicks like anything released by Apple..

But, to answer your question we know the answer to many problems, but instead of correcting it, we ignore it and choose a futile path that fixes nothing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
But, to answer your question we know the answer to many problems, but instead of correcting it, we ignore it and choose a futile path that fixes nothing.

I think I know where this is leading.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

I'm sure you do Seoul..

Most social problems would not exist if children were raised in a loving, stable, two parent home..

That is the real privilege.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Some problems aren't designed to be solved. Progressives struggle with that and end up creating more problems which needn't be.

I can't argue with that.

Bricktop

Well, that's a mind bender over breakfast....

Bricktop

Quote from: "shin"Do you believe every problem has at least one feasible solution?

If a circumstance (the problem) has no solution, then it is not "a problem".

Death, for example, is not a problem. Its essential for the continuation of the species. We THINK its a problem because we want to live forever, but no species can evolve without death.

Flying to Mars may or may not be a problem. However, because we feel an impulsion to visit other planets, it becomes one and demands a feasible solution. Getting there is around 10% of the problem. Surviving and returning and much larger conundrums.

Anonymous

Improvements are good. Efficiencies can be if it doesn't mean putting people out or work. Thinking outside the box is sometimes necessary.It's obviously not ideal when it involves changing something that works.

shin

Quote from: "Bricktop"

If a circumstance (the problem) has no solution, then it is not "a problem".

Death, for example, is not a problem. Its essential for the continuation of the species. We THINK its a problem because we want to live forever, but no species can evolve without death.

Flying to Mars may or may not be a problem. However, because we feel an impulsion to visit other planets, it becomes one and demands a feasible solution. Getting there is around 10% of the problem. Surviving and returning and much larger conundrums.

This is a great answer.

Might I add the semantics involved in defining a would-be problem sometimes creates a greater void between the solution and what seems like impossible circumstance.

shin

Quote from: "seoulbro"

I'm sure you do Seoul..

Most social problems would not exist if children were raised in a loving, stable, two parent home..

That is the real privilege.

Sometimes I think a selection of social problems would cease to exist with better quality education that isn't so restricted across social groups, but as generations pass some of these problems would resurface when the lessons are forgotten.

shin

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Some problems aren't designed to be solved. Progressives struggle with that and end up creating more problems which needn't be.

What would be an example of a problem designed to not have a solution?

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"
Sometimes I think a selection of social problems would cease to exist with better quality education that isn't so restricted across social groups, but as generations pass some of these problems would resurface when the lessons are forgotten.

Changes in public education are good in some areas, but they won't fix the problem that students that don't come from stable, loving two parent families underachieve.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"

What would be an example of a problem designed to not have a solution?

I can think of several, but let's start with inequality. It's an often repeated buzzword of the political left. It is not even a real problem, so  finding a solution is stupid. Poverty on the other hand is a problem for which tangible solutions do exist.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...