Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Something I learned today...

Started by Chuck Bronson, July 23, 2018, 06:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

What? Kids like seeing Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd chasing each other across the ice! :)
Blahhhhhh...

Chuck Bronson

The shelled Nigger Toes and Nutcrackers are really a Germanic thing.  From the school of old.

Figured there had to be some German in there for your family to do that...

Frood

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"The shelled Black Toes and Nutcrackers are really a Germanic thing.  From the school of old.

Figured there had to be some German in there for your family to do that...

Funny family history story:

The Bavarian mother of my great grandmother married a local Jewish farmer in his 40's when she was 18, then he died unexpectedly leaving her with young children and a huge weight on her equally young shoulders. So she took her father's advice and married the lead hand. Couple more children came of that and him running off with the profits of the sale of the land.

She was destitute, humiliated, freaked out about how she would be able to feed her kids, and a white knight swooped in. Her first village crush. He didn't go through the formalities of the time. He basically got down on his knee or whatever they did at that time and said 'I've got safe passage for us and all of the kids to Australia. Come with me. I'll never leave you'.

He never did. They were good people.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"YES!  German in there by chance?

I have no German ancestry and we had toy soldier nutcrackers too..

I still have one.

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Fashionista"I have no German ancestry and we had toy soldier nutcrackers too..

I still have one.

That's actually kind of strange, as they were pretty much strictly a German thing, only becoming popular outside of Europe when returning US soldiers brought them back with them after WWII...

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I have no German ancestry and we had toy soldier nutcrackers too..

I still have one.

That's actually kind of strange, as they were pretty much strictly a German thing, only becoming popular outside of Europe when returning US soldiers brought them back with them after WWII...

The war ended in 1946.  Fash was born in the '70's, as was I.

Chuck Bronson

Kraut Trinket Tyme!  These music boxes are both older than me, and they still work...

http://i66.tinypic.com/xm084w.jpg">

Berry Sweet

I knew an older lady who was German...such a hoarder...she collected everything.  She had hundreds of music boxes...anyway...when she died her husband have everything away.

I couldn't imagine living a life being surrounded in junk.

Chuck Bronson

Hundreds is overkill, but that's what hoarders do.  Holding on to a couple of pieces that have mild sentimental value, is OK though...

Berry Sweet

I was just looking up German stuff...said that black forest cake is German?

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I was just looking up German stuff...said that black forest cake is German?

Anything 'Black Forest' is German...

Berry Sweet

I like my Greek salads, spanikopita, lentil anything, souvlaki (veggie of course) and gyro...when I do have a gyro, It has to be lamb..with xtra lettuce.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"
Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I was just looking up German stuff...said that black forest cake is German?

Anything 'Black Forest' is German...

Huh...ive never read about it in any book about Germans...weird.

Chuck Bronson

The Black Forest is a mountain range in Southwest Germany.  Anything associated with the 'Black Forest' term can (should) only originate from there...

Berry Sweet