Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Has anyone ever served in the military?

Started by Gaon, January 01, 2019, 08:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Gaon"
Quote from: "Odinson"I´m a jäger sergeant..

Not in active service.

I never heard of them. I looked it up though. So, you served in the World War 1 did you.

The only thing Odinson would have served in is McDonalds.

Odinson is a slavic version of Joe.

No representation of truth of fact is intended or implied.

I have never served in the military but had the fortune to meet some veterans who served in World Wat II.

What was most notable about all of them is that none ever boasted about their achievements.

They were sll incredibly modest.

Actually they all seem to recount with sadness the friends or brothers who died on the battlefield.

One told me of a cousin 'who's still over there' and was shot down by Japanese anti aircraft fire over Burma.

"I saw him shot down," he told me.

But in the old vet's mind, he was still alive.

Another whose wife also served in the British Army said that he was just grateful to be alive and to have survived WWII.

And it occurred to me...everything we post war generations take for granted & the prosperity we currently enjoy, was because of them.

And yet they never got a nickel for their service during the war while we received all the benefits of their sacrifice.

For that reason, these were truly great men & women.

I appreciate that someone put their life on the line so I could have mine.

Odinson

Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Odinson"
Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Odinson"I´m a jäger sergeant..

Not in active service.

I never heard of them. I looked it up though. So, you served in the World War 1 did you.

Jäger is a base unit of finnish land forces..

Like rangers are in the US army.

Jäger just specializes more in the all terrain combat and guerrilla tactics.

Americans say that if you can fight in the arctic, you can fight anywhere..

Thats in reference to us.

That's what I've expected, but are you claiming you're a member of the Finnish special force?

In world war 1. Old Odinson is in good shape for being 120 years old.

When I first heard the word Jager, I find it extremely odd already.  :001_tongue:

Is it so odd that finnish units dont have the same name as their canadian counterparts?

:laugh3:

I heard of the Jager unit before but always though they were some Scandinavian elite reconnaissance unit or at least equivalent to US marines or higher skill level.

Well.. Reconnaissance, hit&run, sabotage, booby-traps, sneaking around, doing them harm etc. is kinda what we do..

Most of the time, when out of base, I have my face, neck and hands painted and some local plants attached to my uniform..

Of course you dont become elite until you have experience..

But overall, the training emphasizes on commando tactics more than the ranger or marine training.

The boot camp lasts min. 180 days.. Compared to the marine 91 days.

Mine lasted 365 days then I had additional 14 months of really deep introduction to various tactics and weapons.

It is required to go through additional deep core training before we get to be in an armed conflict.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"He was in the artillery...Fusiliers I believe.

I knew he had some military service.

JOE

I feel very privileged to have met veterans who served in World War II.

One of them fought on D-Day. Told me how he saw his colleagues get shot & die  as they stormed the beach.

I even knew/met a World War I veteran who was a pilot flying over the trenches in France.

He told me one purpose of the planes back then was to drown out the noise down below so that the allied soldiers could perform their sneaky manouvers on the Germans.

After or now that they are gone, we will never see their likes ever agsin.

The are literally walking monuments of history

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gaon"I was in the IDF for three years. I was an infantryman. I saw combat in the Second Intifada. And I was in the Battle of Jenin. Thankfully I wasn't injured. But, it's something I will never forget.

Has anyone else served in the military. I think Odinson might have. If you have, please tell us about it.

That's amazing Gaon. Were you awarded a medal?

Gaon

Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "Gaon"I was in the IDF for three years. I was an infantryman. I saw combat in the Second Intifada. And I was in the Battle of Jenin. Thankfully I wasn't injured. But, it's something I will never forget.

Has anyone else served in the military. I think Odinson might have. If you have, please tell us about it.

Israel isn't nearly as generous with medals as Canada and the United States. I was told every Canadian soldier who went to Afghanistan, even in a non combat role, was awarded a medal.
The Russian Rock It

Blurt

Never served in the military.

My father's wife's son is career military. Posts included Cyprus, Germany, Rwanda, Somalia, and Sarajevo. Blue helmet on some of those. He's a great guy, but has that haunted look in his eyes. Always.
Aimin\' to misbehave.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blurt"Never served in the military.

My father's wife's son is career military. Posts included Cyprus, Germany, Rwanda, Somalia, and Sarajevo. Blue helmet on some of those. He's a great guy, but has that haunted look in his eyes. Always.

Your step brother..

Those are some dangerous posts.

Blurt

I never know what to call him. Is he my step-brother? We have no common parent.
Aimin\' to misbehave.

Blurt

And, yes, he's had some tough gigs. He's seen awful things.
Aimin\' to misbehave.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blurt"I never know what to call him. Is he my step-brother? We have no common parent.

Your father's step son.

Odinson

Israel isn't nearly as generous with medals as Canada and the United States. I was told every Canadian soldier who went to Afghanistan, even in a non combat role, was awarded a medal.

They get a medal for participating..

Thiel

The Battle of Jenin was particularly bloody.
gay, conservative and proud

Gaon

I was told that if Canadian soldiers went to Afghanistan, they received a medal. It didn't matter if it was combat or not.
The Russian Rock It

Odinson

I was told that if Canadian soldiers went to Afghanistan, they received a medal. It didn't matter if it was combat or not.

Of course its slightly different for canadians to come to middle-east.. It aint their war..