Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:05:08 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

A

Solar and wind energy are not sustainable

Started by Anonymous, August 24, 2019, 08:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Rare earth metals are used in solar panels and wind turbines—as well as electric cars and consumer electronics. We don't recycle them, and there's not enough to meet growing demand.

The good news is that ample identified reserves for the renewable energy transition, at least, do exist. The key challenge is lead-times. It takes large capital investments and between 10-20 years to open new mines.

One solution is to find viable substitutions for rare metals. This holds some promise, but could also shift the burden to other metals. Another solution is for Europe and others to revitalise domestic mining industries using new technologies that can reduce their energy and water footprint. This could still be costly—and domestic reserves aren't ample enough to rival the likes of China.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3mavb/we-dont-mine-enough-rare-earth-metals-to-replace-fossil-fuels-with-renewable-energy">https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3ma ... ble-energy">https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3mavb/we-dont-mine-enough-rare-earth-metals-to-replace-fossil-fuels-with-renewable-energy

This false idea that we can get something from nothing is a bold faced lie. There is not enough rare earth metals in the world for solar power. And the country that has the most also has large polluting mines that would make urban environmentalists faint. The world has a lot more fossil fuels than we do rare earth metals. Oil, gas, and coal are not renewable(for now), but they are a lot more abundant than the rare earth metals required for solar. Plus, we have our own raw materials.

Anonymous

We are better off in Western Canada using hydro or natural gas..

We don't have to import them.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"We are better off in Western Canada using hydro or natural gas..

You can see why China is promoting solar panels globally. They own almost all the rare earth metals and produce a lot of solar panels. There is no environmental benefit to the massive amount of mining and water required for solar energy. Not to mention the security risks of being dependent on China for our energy needs.

Gaon

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Fashionista"We are better off in Western Canada using hydro or natural gas..

You can see why China is promoting solar panels globally. They own almost all the rare earth metals and produce a lot of solar panels. There is no environmental benefit to the massive amount of mining and water required for solar energy. Not to mention the security risks of being dependent on China for our energy needs.

Those two forms of energy are not green and not sustainable.
The Russian Rock It

cc

I'm no fan of electric cars , but here's something interesting

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08-19/texas-firm-claims-have-developed-holy-grail-electric-motors">Texas Firm Claims To Have Developed The "Holy Grail" Of Electric Motors

HET generates a lot of torque at lower RPMs than a conventional permanent magnet motor, which means it can be constructed out of less expensive and widely available iron ferrite magnates, rather than expensive neodymium. Neodymium is used in motors where maximum torque is produced at high speeds, but it works similarly to iron ferrite at lower RPMs.

This breakthrough would allow US EV manufacturers to ditch sourcing of neodymium from China, and use cheaper and widely available ferrite magnates from other countries.

Linear Labs is currently building prototypes of its new motors for use in various industries. The first transportation application will be in micro-mobility (scooters, electric longboards, e-bikes, and motorcycles) next year, followed by electric cars in 2021.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Here's one of interest

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08-19/texas-firm-claims-have-developed-holy-grail-electric-motors">Texas Firm Claims To Have Developed The "Holy Grail" Of Electric Motors

HET generates a lot of torque at lower RPMs than a conventional permanent magnet motor, which means it can be constructed out of less expensive and widely available iron ferrite magnates, rather than expensive neodymium. Neodymium is used in motors where maximum torque is produced at high speeds, but it works similarly to iron ferrite at lower RPMs.

This breakthrough would allow US EV manufacturers to ditch sourcing of neodymium from China, and use cheaper and widely available ferrite magnates from other countries.

Linear Labs is currently building prototypes of its new motors for use in various industries. The first transportation application will be in micro-mobility (scooters, electric longboards, e-bikes, and motorcycles) next year, followed by electric cars in 2021.

I am not a gear head. But, it seems they would not have to buy certain rare earth metals from China. But, metals still have to be mined. The US can either issue permits for new mines which green extremists hate or let other countries open new mines to meet American demand. Either way, solar energy is not renewable.

Bricktop

If every vehicle was powered by electricity, the power grid would collapse.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"If every vehicle was powered by electricity, the power grid would collapse.

Like I said, unsustainable.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"If every vehicle was powered by electricity, the power grid would collapse.

I read that too..

But, politicians who say they are committed to fighting climate change are uncomfortable with that fact.

Anonymous

I am not a gear head. But, it seems they would not have to buy certain rare earth metals from China. But, metals still have to be mined. The US can either issue permits for new mines which green extremists hate or let other countries open new mines to meet American demand. Either way, solar energy is not renewable.

Other than clear cutting rain forests, nothing makes urban latte slurping progs more squeamish than photos of open hole mines complete with talings ponds that can spill into waterways. Expect a hundred fold increase in those mines in third world countries and it still will not be enough for unsustainable wind and solar to supplant localized sources like hydro, natural gas or coal.

Anonymous

Use whatever energy source is most readily available locally and make it cleaner. I doubt it will be wind and solar though.

caskur

It won't be and shouldn't be any one source but ALL the sources at our disposal...

coal, wind, gas, solar, and nuclear although nuclear has proved the most dangerous especially reactor meltdowns.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"It won't be and shouldn't be any one source but ALL the sources at our disposal...

coal, wind, gas, solar, and nuclear although nuclear has proved the most dangerous especially reactor meltdowns.

Like old Jock said, whatever is most abundant at the regional level. I disagree about nuclear. There's no reason it cannot be perfectly safe.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

Other than clear cutting rain forests, nothing makes urban latte slurping progs more squeamish than photos of open hole mines complete with talings ponds that can spill into waterways. Expect a hundred fold increase in those mines in third world countries and it still will not be enough for unsustainable wind and solar to supplant localized sources like hydro, natural gas or coal.

I don't think they've thought this through.

Thiel

Quote from: "cc"I'm no fan of electric cars , but here's something interesting

I was in China last month. Even the Chinese are concerned about the supply of rare earth metals.
gay, conservative and proud