News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10763
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 10:42:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

PRIME CANDIDATES (All started Final Stage Testing) (Moved to top of new page for reference - Will update as statuses  change

Maybe others will point out anything they see on vaccines so I can keep it current

1. Oxford/AstraZeneca ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (Final Stage Testing Started End of August)

One of the West's leading contenders in the race for a vaccine, ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 was among the first to start human trials, in late April. Also known as AZD1222, the vaccine candidate is based on a virus found in chimpanzees. Early results showed that ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 can produce positive immune responses, and late-stage testing began at the end of August, with the backing of the U.S. government – but when one subject developed a potential side effect, it was briefly put on hold.

The Canadian government announced on Sept. 25 that it has secured a deal AstraZeneca for up to 20 million doses of its vaccine candidate.

2. Moderna mRNA-1273   (Final Stage Testing Started July 27)

One of the first vaccine candidates to be developed, it was shipped to the U.S. government in February and human testing began in March. The company has said that mRNA-1273 is able to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus in a lab setting, and 30,000 volunteers were given the potential vaccine starting July 27 as part of the final phase of human trials.

The Canadian government says it has signed a deal to distribute Moderna's vaccine, if it is approved by Health Canada.

3. Johnson & Johnson Ad26.COV2-S (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 23)

Johnson & Johnson began human tests of its potential coronavirus vaccine in Belgium and the U.S. in July. A final phase, involving 60,000 volunteers in eight countries, commenced Sept. 23. Modelled after a successful Ebola vaccine, the Johnson & Johnson candidate is unique among the front-runners in that it can be administered in a single dose.

Canada announced Aug. 31 that it has signed a deal with the company to secure a supply of its vaccine candidate, should it be approved by Health Canada.

4. Pfizer vaccine candidate    (Final Stage Testing Started in late July)

One of the biggest names in the global pharmaceutical game, Pfizer is working with German firm BioNTech to develop and test a potential mRNA-based vaccine. Doses were given to human test subjects in Germany in April and in the U.S. in May. Company CEO Albert Bourla said a few weeks later that one vaccine candidate could be ready by October "if things go well, and the stars are aligned." Phase III trials began in late July.

Canada has signed a deal to distribute any Pfizer vaccine approved by Health Canada, and the German government gave the effort a 750-million-euro funding boost in September.

5. Novavax NVX-CoV2373 (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 25)

Novavax says its potential vaccine uses a protein made with the company's proprietary nanotechnology to stimulate immune responses. On Sept. 25, the company started late-stage trials.

The federal government announced Aug. 31 that it had reached a deal to receive 76 million doses of NVX-CoV2373, provided the American vaccine candidate is approved by Health Canada
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

cc

I find it works best 4 me to not even think in terms of when or try to estimate, rather simply keep on top of it, let the days go by, hope for the best and accept what happens as it happens

Certainly until we finally do get injected, life will not be the same and economies will not start to recover

Not meaning to be negative, but seems you guys in Edmonton  are being hit especially  hard at the moment ..  .. .  over 1/2 of Alberta's active cases

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384910 time=1601521099 user_id=88
I find it works best 4 me to not even think in terms of when or try to estimate, rather simply keep on top of it, let the days go by, hope for the best and accept what happens as it happens

Certainly until we finally do get injected, life will not be the same and economies will not start to recover

Not meaning to be negative, but seems you guys in Edmonton  are being hit especially  hard at the moment ..  .. .  over 1/2 of Alberta's active cases

I don't have that luxury. I have  two sons, ages 5 and 7. They want to dress up and go trick or treating. They want to play sports. They want to play with their friends. They're asking me when they can do these things. They're asking me all the time.

cc

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384910 time=1601521099 user_id=88

It was reversed between Calgary and Edmonton a few months ago.

cc

https://www.theepochtimes.com/moderna-ccp-virus-vaccine-wont-be-ready-until-spring-2020-says-ceo_3521808.html">Moderna CCP Virus Vaccine Won't Be Ready Until Spring 2021: CEO

Moderna's Chief Executive Officer Stéphane Bancel said Wednesday that the U.S. biotech firm's CCP virus vaccine will most likely not be ready for widespread public distribution until spring 2021.

The Massachusetts-based company also won't be ready to apply for emergency authorization for its potential vaccine until Nov. 25 at the earliest, Bancel told the Financial Times.

"Nov. 25 is the time we will have enough safety data to be able to put into an EUA file that we would send to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration)—assuming that the safety data is good, i.e. a vaccine is deemed to be safe," he told the newspaper.

The company said previously that it could seek emergency authorization for a vaccine as soon as Nov. 1.

cc

Practical Storage & Delivery Difficulty Comparisons

Moderna's experimental vaccine, mRNA-1273, like Pfizer's, is based on messenger RNA, meaning that it relies on segments of genetic material delivered into cells to help stimulate an immune response.

While the technology can be used to fast-track a vaccine's development over other methods, a setback of mRNA vaccines includes needing to store and distribute them at cold temperatures to prevent them from degrading.

According to Biopharmadive, Pfizer's mRNA vaccine needs to be transported at -94 degrees Fahrenheit, while Moderna has an edge, but still requires conditions at -4 degrees Fahrenheit for transport.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials previously told the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) that these requirements "will make it very difficult for community clinics and local pharmacies to store and administer."

On the other hand, AstraZeneca's [The one done with help from Oxford University] is based on an adenoviral vector and requires only refrigeration.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=385042 time=1601577299 user_id=88
Practical Storage & Delivery Difficulty Comparisons

Moderna's experimental vaccine, mRNA-1273, like Pfizer's, is based on messenger RNA, meaning that it relies on segments of genetic material delivered into cells to help stimulate an immune response.

While the technology can be used to fast-track a vaccine's development over other methods, a setback of mRNA vaccines includes needing to store and distribute them at cold temperatures to prevent them from degrading.

According to Biopharmadive, Pfizer's mRNA vaccine needs to be transported at -94 degrees Fahrenheit, while Moderna has an edge, but still requires conditions at -4 degrees Fahrenheit for transport.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials previously told the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) that these requirements "will make it very difficult for community clinics and local pharmacies to store and administer."

On the other hand, AstraZeneca's [The one done with help from Oxford University] is based on an adenoviral vector and requires only refrigeration.

That will be a problem for Moderna's vaccine.

cc

Yes it will. When there are choices, that required temperature (-94 degrees Fahrenheit) will play a role in selection

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=385099 time=1601589202 user_id=88
Yes it will. When there are choices, that required temperature (-94 degrees Fahrenheit) will play a role in selection

And it could delay when a vaccine is available.

cc

NEWSFLASH - Off Topic, but might be important

Trump Adviser Hope Hicks Tests Positive For COVID-19

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1311825595505008640">https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/ ... 5505008640">https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1311825595505008640

cc

Trump in TV interview with hannity > just confirmed Hicks positive & she spent a lot of time with his wife yesterday on trip

Also some with him

Anonymous

Moderna CCP Virus Vaccine Won't Be Ready Until Spring 2021: CEO

Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel said on Sept. 30 that the U.S. biotech firm's CCP virus vaccine most likely won't be ready for widespread public distribution until spring 2021.

The Massachusetts-based company also won't be ready to apply for emergency authorization for its potential vaccine until Nov. 25 at the earliest, Bancel told the Financial Times.

"Nov. 25 is the time we will have enough safety data to be able to put into an EUA file that we would send to the FDA [Food and Drug Administration]—assuming that the safety data is good, i.e. a vaccine is deemed to be safe," he told the newspaper.

The company said previously that it could seek emergency authorization for a vaccine as soon as Nov. 1.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/moderna-ccp-virus-vaccine-wont-be-ready-until-spring-2020-says-ceo_3521808.html?utm_source=morningbriefnoe&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mb-2020-10-01">https://www.theepochtimes.com/moderna-c ... 2020-10-01">https://www.theepochtimes.com/moderna-ccp-virus-vaccine-wont-be-ready-until-spring-2020-says-ceo_3521808.html?utm_source=morningbriefnoe&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mb-2020-10-01

cc

Trumps treatment has she da bit more light on treatments

Regeneron cocktail

https://time.com/5895771/trump-regeneron-covid-cocktail/">Regeneron on Tuesday announced promising results related to its monoclonal antibodies—drugs that mimic the human body's natural immune response. When the body detects an infection, it deploys proteins called antibodies to help fight it off. Monoclonal antibodies essentially kickstart that process with synthetic proteins.

In preliminary results from a trial of 275 non-hospitalized COVID-19 patients who were treated with either the antibody cocktail or a placebo, Regeneron's cocktail reduced the amount of virus in patients' systems and helped alleviate their symptoms, the company says. The therapy worked particularly well for patients whose immune systems failed to mount a natural response to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, according to Regeneron's results.

While those are promising results, they have yet to be peer-reviewed, and Regeneron's therapy has not yet been cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. After the trial's findings were released, executives said they planned to "rapidly" discuss them with the FDA, CNBC reports. Regeneron has enrolled participants for a larger study to confirm and build upon the results of its first trial.