Last post: Today at 11:33:35 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aylana

A

The jig is up Mel

Started by Anonymous, June 09, 2020, 12:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Liberals propose tighter rules for CERB, penalties for fraudulent claims

The Liberal government is proposing legislation that would impose tighter rules for claiming the Canada emergency response benefit (CERB) and is threatening to impose fines and jail time on those who deliberately lie on applications.

The bill comes as the government faces pressure from the Conservatives on the one hand to weed out fraudulent claims and urge people to get back to work — and pressure from the NDP on the other hand to extend emergency aid and avoid going after Canadians who file ineligible claims.

In a bill to be tabled in the House of Commons Wednesday, the government says Canadians won't be eligible to claim the benefit if:

They fail to go back to work when it is reasonable to do so, and their employer asks them to return.

They fail to resume self-employment when it's reasonable to do so.

They decline a reasonable job offer when they are able to work.

The bill also lays out penalties for claimants whose applications include information that is "false or misleading," and for those who "knowingly failed" to disclose sources of income or other relevant facts when they applied for the federal aid.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cerb-legislation-penalties-parliament-1.5604306">https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cerb-l ... -1.5604306">https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cerb-legislation-penalties-parliament-1.5604306

I think the hardest part of doing time for Mel will be he won't be able to whine online about big bad Fashionista.

cc

Who wooda thot our Fash would have become as mean as mel, my hero as a  pinnacle of truth, describes

I read something about a special prison  for CERB offenders was being hastily built by some kraut who modeled it after a place  ... I forget the name of the model .. started with "Aus" I think
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=365373 time=1591720640 user_id=114
Liberals propose tighter rules for CERB, penalties for fraudulent claims

The Liberal government is proposing legislation that would impose tighter rules for claiming the Canada emergency response benefit (CERB) and is threatening to impose fines and jail time on those who deliberately lie on applications.

The bill comes as the government faces pressure from the Conservatives on the one hand to weed out fraudulent claims and urge people to get back to work — and pressure from the NDP on the other hand to extend emergency aid and avoid going after Canadians who file ineligible claims.

In a bill to be tabled in the House of Commons Wednesday, the government says Canadians won't be eligible to claim the benefit if:

They fail to go back to work when it is reasonable to do so, and their employer asks them to return.

They fail to resume self-employment when it's reasonable to do so.

They decline a reasonable job offer when they are able to work.

The bill also lays out penalties for claimants whose applications include information that is "false or misleading," and for those who "knowingly failed" to disclose sources of income or other relevant facts when they applied for the federal aid.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cerb-legislation-penalties-parliament-1.5604306">https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cerb-l ... -1.5604306">https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cerb-legislation-penalties-parliament-1.5604306

I think the hardest part of doing time for Mel will be he won't be able to whine online about big bad Fashionista.

Ottawa knows that it encourages abuse.

cc

yes to both .. encourages abuse and Ottawa knows

Ottawa has itself in a pickle. It is very difficult and expensive to track the validity of every case .. virtually impossible

I'm sure the abuse is a big number and impossible to track if for one example a  claim of feeling unsafe at their workplace is legit  .. and how does one even define safety

In the case of self-employed it's very difficult, virtually impossible to determine  if claim is legit

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=365399 time=1591730685 user_id=88
yes to both .. encourages abuse and Ottawa knows

Ottawa has itself in a pickle. It is very difficult and expensive to track the validity of every case .. virtually impossible

I'm sure the abuse is a big number and impossible to track if for one example a  claim of feeling unsafe at their workplace is legit  .. and how does one even define safety

In the case of self-employed it's very difficult, virtually impossible to determine  if claim is legit

Tracking income is easy. It's also easy to find out if they were recalled at their workplaces. And if employers comply with provincial guidelines on social distancing in the workplace, that takes away the safety excuse for not returning to work.

Anonymous

Fraudulent CERB applications could land Canadians with $5K fine, jail time

Canadians who made fraudulent claims for the coronavirus emergency benefit could face a fine of up to $5,000, a penalty double what they received in improper benefits and jail time.

Those who refuse to go back to work could also face financial penalties.

That's according to a draft version of legislation expected to be tabled by the federal government on Wednesday, and which aims to fill in some of the gaps in the existing rules.

Making a false or misleading claim, failing to declare all income, knowingly receiving an income benefit that a person isn't eligible for, non-disclosure of facts or facilitating omission of any facts are all listed as offences under that legislation.

Committing any of them will land a person a fine of up to $5,000 "plus an amount of not more than double the amount of the income support payment that was or would have been paid as a result of committing the offence."

They could also get hit with the fine of up to $5,000 plus up to six months in jail.

Continuing to collect the benefit while refusing to work will also result in penalties.

The legislation says individuals in that category include those who "fail to return to work when it is reasonable to do so and the employer makes a request for their return; fail to resume self-employment when it is reasonable to do so; or decline a reasonable job offer when they are able to work."

Doing so could result in a retroactive fine of up to triple the amount improperly claimed once the individual was able to return to work.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7043757/fake-cerb-claim-penalties/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7043757/fake ... penalties/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7043757/fake-cerb-claim-penalties/

The noose is tightening on fraudsters like Mel.

cc

He'd better delete some of the info he posted here

Wait!! ... I bet unregistered can't alter posts????

Turn the oven off .. He's done

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=365418 time=1591736274 user_id=88
He'd better delete some of the info he posted here

Wait!! ... I bet unregistered can't alter posts????

Turn the oven off .. He's done

All of Mel's posts containing evidence of fraud have been archived and will be used against him in a court of law.

cc

Anonymous

cc

Quote from: Herman post_id=365427 time=1591741947 user_id=1689
Old Mel is in shit up to his eyeballs.

It's my understanding, that's a pretty common occurrence for our ace

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=365429 time=1591742148 user_id=88
Quote from: Herman post_id=365427 time=1591741947 user_id=1689
Old Mel is in shit up to his eyeballs.

It's my understanding, that's a pretty common occurrence for our ace

I was not a fraudster like old Mel. I was into beating the hell out of guys.

And speaking of beatings, Mel had best learn to take them. A little fairy like him will be getting plenty of beatings after he is locked up.

Anonymous

With the cares act in the USyou cannot claim if you have substantial savings, Is it the same in Canada with CERB

Anonymous

Quote from: Guest post_id=365437 time=1591743955
With the cares act in the USyou cannot claim if you have substantial savings, Is it the same in Canada with CERB

Bullshit. Apply for provincial assistance and that is one of the first questions they ask.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview