News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10379
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:23:03 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Best Damned Fried Chicken In All Of Edmonton Is...

Started by Anonymous, November 19, 2013, 05:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Well I can tell you that I've seen it both ways. My grandparents on my mom's side went in pretty much opposite ways. My grandmother was a big woman, weighed easily over 400lbs as long as I could remember. She ate what she wanted, as much as she wanted and when she wanted. I don't think that woman had as much as a cold in all the years I can remember. At age 66 she went face down in the pork roast on New Year's Day 1998 of a massive heart attack. No suffering, no nothing, just there one minute and gone the next. Her husband my grandfather wasn't so lucky. 9 years after his wife died he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Within the next 5 years he went from being a relatively healthy 78 year old guy to being a 83 year old drooling zombie laying in a nursing home shitting on himself until he finally died. Unfortunately because of the toll the disease took on him I still have trouble remembering him as the active well-liked and respected man that he was.

Now ask me which way I want to live and die?

Yeah, that is hard on your grandpa and hard on his children and grandchildren. He obviously didn't want to be a burden on his family and I'm sure your grandpa wanted his descendents to have nothing but fond memories. Parkinson's and dementia are usually slow burns, so 5 years is shorter than how long some people have those diseases. I heard Billy Graham is 95 and has been living with either Parkinson's or Alzheimer's for quite a while. Same goes for Michael J. Fox and Muhammed Ali.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Renee"
Well I can tell you that I've seen it both ways. My grandparents on my mom's side went in pretty much opposite ways. My grandmother was a big woman, weighed easily over 400lbs as long as I could remember. She ate what she wanted, as much as she wanted and when she wanted. I don't think that woman had as much as a cold in all the years I can remember. At age 66 she went face down in the pork roast on New Year's Day 1998 of a massive heart attack. No suffering, no nothing, just there one minute and gone the next. Her husband my grandfather wasn't so lucky. 9 years after his wife died he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Within the next 5 years he went from being a relatively healthy 78 year old guy to being a 83 year old drooling zombie laying in a nursing home shitting on himself until he finally died. Unfortunately because of the toll the disease took on him I still have trouble remembering him as the active well-liked and respected man that he was.

Now ask me which way I want to live and die?

Yeah, that is hard on your grandpa and hard on his children and grandchildren. He obviously didn't want to be a burden on his family and I'm sure your grandpa wanted his descendents to have nothing but fond memories. Parkinson's and dementia are usually slow burns, so 5 years is shorter than how long some people have those diseases. I heard Billy Graham is 95 and has been living with either Parkinson's or Alzheimer's for quite a while. Same goes for Michael J. Fox and Muhammed Ali.

It was the Alzheimer's that got him. The Parkinson's just exacerbated the situation. People with Parkinson's can live a long time. It's just that your quality of life erodes little by little as the disease progresses. With the meds they have today it's a very slow death.

It was hard on his grandchildren, especially on my oldest and my brother's two sons. All of them were old enough to remember him when he wasn't sick and they all had a special bond with him. In life he was a very proud and dignified man. It would have been awful for him if he understood what was happening to him at the end. I can't even imagine how mortified he would have been. I remember right after my grandmother passed he got sick and had to have his gall bladder removed. He didn't even want to tell anyone in the family that he wasn't feeling well and went and had the surgery before anyone even knew that he was having an issue. That's the kind of guy he was and that's why the manner of his death was so horrible.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"It was the Alzheimer's that got him. The Parkinson's just exacerbated the situation. People with Parkinson's can live a long time. It's just that your quality of life erodes little by little as the disease progresses. With the meds they have today it's a very slow death.

It was hard on his grandchildren, especially on my oldest and my brother's two sons. All of them were old enough to remember him when he wasn't sick and they all had a special bond with him. In life he was a very proud and dignified man. It would have been awful for him if he understood what was happening to him at the end. I can't even imagine how mortified he would have been. I remember right after my grandmother passed he got sick and had to have his gall bladder removed. He didn't even want to tell anyone in the family that he wasn't feeling well and went and had the surgery before anyone even knew that he was having an issue. That's the kind of guy he was and that's why the manner of his death was so horrible.

Now that you mentioned it, I don't recall anyone I know having a relative die of Parkinson's. Every other illness under the moon and stars(including Alzheimer's), but not Parkinson's.

Your grandpa sounds a lot like how mine was. he was a strong man too. He was also very proud and would not have ever willingly surrendered his dignity if it ever came to that. That is why his brief illness was exactly what he would have wanted.

Renee

Quote from: "Renee"It was the Alzheimer's that got him. The Parkinson's just exacerbated the situation. People with Parkinson's can live a long time. It's just that your quality of life erodes little by little as the disease progresses. With the meds they have today it's a very slow death.

Now that you mentioned it, I don't recall anyone I know having a relative die of Parkinson's. Every other illness under the moon and stars(including Alzheimer's), but not Parkinson's.

Your grandpa sounds a lot like how mine was. he was a strong man too. He was also very proud and would not have ever willingly surrendered his dignity if it ever came to that. That is why his brief illness was exactly what he would have wanted.

Yep, a brief illness or a sudden event is the best way to go that you can hope for. My grandmother was happy, active physically and mentally right up until the moment she passed. Granted it was a terrible shock and a waste but at least she didn't have to deal with any indignity or lingering on a death bed. And once the initial shock of her passing was over, the family was spared all the nightmares and heartbreak. We all just have fond happy memories of her.

Now as for my dad's parents I never knew my grandfather because he drank himself to death by the time I was 2 (also not a good death). My dad's mom I have very little contact with because she always hated me and my mom. She is a bitter old racist Irish lady who hates blacks, Italians and basically anyone who isn't Irish.  I don't think she ever forgave my dad for marrying a fat "whop" as she would call my mom. She's in her late 80s and shows no signs of kicking the bucket anytime soon. I think she is just too ornery to die. God doesn't want the old biddy and neither does the devil.  :lol:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Yep, a brief illness or a sudden event is the best way to go that you can hope for. My grandmother was happy, active physically and mentally right up until the moment she passed. Granted it was a terrible shock and a waste but at least she didn't have to deal with any indignity or lingering on a death bed. And once the initial shock of her passing was over, the family was spared all the nightmares and heartbreak. We all just have fond happy memories of her.

Now as for my dad's parents I never knew my grandfather because he drank himself to death by the time I was 2 (also not a good death). My dad's mom I have very little contact with because she always hated me and my mom. She is a bitter old racist Irish lady who hates blacks, Italians and basically anyone who isn't Irish.  I don't think she ever forgave my dad for marrying a fat "whop" as she would call my mom. She's in her late 80s and shows no signs of kicking the bucket anytime soon. I think she is just too ornery to die. God doesn't want the old biddy and neither does the devil.  :lol:

Wow, you got quite the colourful family Renee. Mine is a tortured family too as my father lost his parents in the madness of the Cultural Revolution when he was just a kid. He never got over his hatred of the "Reds" for making him an orphan. Prolly why he was drawn to fiscally conservative movements like Reform as soon as we landed in Canada. Ironic, how he married the daughter of a PLA officer who was also a card carrying member of the party.

Funny, all the twists and turns a thread about fried chicken can take. :lol:

Renee

Quote from: "Renee"Yep, a brief illness or a sudden event is the best way to go that you can hope for. My grandmother was happy, active physically and mentally right up until the moment she passed. Granted it was a terrible shock and a waste but at least she didn't have to deal with any indignity or lingering on a death bed. And once the initial shock of her passing was over, the family was spared all the nightmares and heartbreak. We all just have fond happy memories of her.

Wow, you got quite the colourful family Renee. Mine is a tortured family too as my father lost his parents in the madness of the Cultural Revolution when he was just a kid. He never got over his hatred of the "Reds" for making him an orphan. Prolly why he was drawn to fiscally conservative movements like Reform as soon as we landed in Canada. Ironic, how he married the daughter of a PLA officer who was also a card carrying member of the party.

Funny, all the twists and turns a thread about fried chicken can take. :lol:

From fried chicken to "barber poles"  :lol:  to sore throats, to death and disease, to family issues, this has been a pretty wild thread. :lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
I make my own friend chicken..

I don't use a deep fryer, I cook it in a pan with my own garlic seasonings..

It is one of my husband's favorites.

I had garlic extra crispy at KFC in Asia. Can't get it here, but it so fucking good. Korea has lots of good independent fried chicken places.
[/b]

and they are sooooo fucking good.....had several within the block we lived on.....pitchers of draft beer and either "fire chicken" or "dul dul" chicken sitting at a little table on the sidewalk late in the evening......god's own contentment for sure....then a few bottles of Soju to finish it off......

It is good times and I do love to do that whenever I go back.